Posted to rec.audio.pro
david correia david correia is offline

Default RIP Captain Beefheart

In case you haven't heard:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ad-at-age-69-2
0101217

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

david correia wrote:

In case you haven't heard:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ad-at-age-69-2
0101217

Listening to the video's with him people have linked to elsewhere is like
listening to late Beethoven - from when he couldn't hear what the other guys
were writing, ie. still fresh and timeless.

Strange, as I can remember people claiming that it was "it" back when it was
and to me it just wasn't.

I seriously think he as an other misplaced classical musician lost by lack
of education options.

David Correia
www.Celebrationsound.com

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"david correia" wrote in message
In case you haven't heard:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ad-at-age-69-2
0101217

Yea, I saw this yesterday. Bummer.
I hope he's upstairs playing with FZ.
RIP

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Patrick James Patrick James is offline

On 2010-12-19 06:34:59 +0000, david correia said:

In case you haven't heard:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ge-69-20101217

Throughout

my teens and twenties Beefheart was god. He worked rather well as a
deity and for me substantially preferable to the one on offer in
mainstream western culture.

In 1974 I listened to Trout Mask Replica for the first time and that
was my moment of conversion. So much is so right about TMR. The
apparent madness of the music is all meticulously planned and played,
which brings a unique sincerity to the sound. The lyrics demonstate an
understanding on behalf of the author of what actually is going on in
rock and roll. The words are used like paint, but always seem to mean
something powerful and to which you can relate. On the other hand the
words very rarely actually really mean something in a literal sense,
but, so often you feel a great empathy for the lyric line, you know
exactly what he means, but you can't say what it is.

His vocal was a montage of blues voices. He would be always picking
from a palette of blues vocal expression I think he had learned from
listening to so many blues and jazz records as a child.

The organised madness of the music works as a backdrop to this amazing
vocal lyrical performance. The music mood swings continuously as it
wrestles to understand the world.

That incomprehension of the world and fear of the consequences of
comprehending the world, of then becoming part of the world, lies at
the heart, I think of all the rebellion in popular youth music.

For me Trout Mask Replica is the greatest creation in popular music. It
is unparalled, unprecedented and yet totally authentic.

--
Patrick
http://www.patrickjames.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

On 2010-12-19 06:34:59 +0000, david correia said:

In case you haven't heard:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ead-at-age-69-
[...]

Yeah, man, I dig it too.

(Beefheart painted on the bandroom wall at AWHQ.)

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman

Captain Jack channels Londo Chris Adams Car Audio 0 December 25th 07 08:53 PM
Captain Howdy Now is Trying to Sell My Car MOSFET Car Audio 5 August 9th 06 07:47 PM
HELP!! How do I block Captain Howdy? MOSFET Car Audio 20 August 9th 06 08:08 AM
Captain Howdy's Car MOSFET Car Audio 74 July 26th 06 04:50 AM
Captain "Middius" and Porky-the-Cabin-Boy tor b Audio Opinions 0 August 5th 04 07:58 PM