Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default Korg MR2: not work as USB audio interface?

If I'm reading correctly, the Korg MR-2 cannot function as a USB audio
interface. It can function as a card reader or outboard storage device
only.

Anybody have experience that contradicts this?

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:55:23 -0500, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

If I'm reading correctly, the Korg MR-2 cannot function as a USB audio
interface. It can function as a card reader or outboard storage device
only.

Anybody have experience that contradicts this?

When I spoke to Karyn last, she assured me you lived in Austin. I thought it
was your daughter who lived there.

?

Inquiring minds.

Ty

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:55:23 -0500, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

If I'm reading correctly, the Korg MR-2 cannot function as a USB audio
interface. It can function as a card reader or outboard storage device
only.

Anybody have experience that contradicts this?

When I spoke to Karyn last, she assured me you lived in Austin.

She's wrong, and you kin tell her I said sew.

I live in Plumas County CA, and spend half my time in Austin. Heading
there this weekend. Trio appearing Dec 17 at the Armadillo Christmas
Bazaar (honored to be included in the lineup)
http://armadillobazaar.com/armadillo_bazaar_music.html

Then duo for a bluegrass brunch Dec 26 at Threadgill's Old No. 1, where
on Dec 29 Shaidri and I will host a "sittin', singin' & supper" session
there.

Back home thereafter, gig in Quincy Jan 7, at the Drunk Brush.

I thought it
was your daughter who lived there.

?

Two of them, and a grandson now, too.

Inquiring minds.

Might like to know that my song-before-most-recently-written includes
the word "Baltimore".

Believe it.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/9/2010 3:55 PM, hank alrich wrote:
If I'm reading correctly, the Korg MR-2 cannot function as a USB audio
interface. It can function as a card reader or outboard storage device
only.

The MR-1000 doesn't function as a USB audio interface, and I
don't think the MR-1 did, so I don't see any reason why the
MR-2 would. It doesn't look like it from the info on the web
site or the manual.

You're thinking of it working like the Zoom H2 in the "USB
Mic" mode? The MR-2 does have built-in mics so I guess that
makes it a little more useful in that mode, but I've never
used the Zoom that way. Are you looking for a cheap DSD
converter?

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 12/9/2010 3:55 PM, hank alrich wrote:
If I'm reading correctly, the Korg MR-2 cannot function as a USB audio
interface. It can function as a card reader or outboard storage device
only.

The MR-1000 doesn't function as a USB audio interface, and I
don't think the MR-1 did, so I don't see any reason why the
MR-2 would. It doesn't look like it from the info on the web
site or the manual.

You're thinking of it working like the Zoom H2 in the "USB
Mic" mode? The MR-2 does have built-in mics so I guess that
makes it a little more useful in that mode, but I've never
used the Zoom that way. Are you looking for a cheap DSD
converter?

I'm checking out the latest round of portable digital two-trackers with
built-in mics, and looking for one that yes, works like the Zoom H2. In
fact, that might turn out to be the ticket.

In one of those fun twists of reality, Shaidri is now living in a
backyard studio in Austin. When it was first described to me as "a
garage studio" I pictured the usual half-assed mess. However, this is a
fairly spacious room that is nicely isolated and has very nice
acoustics, especially for the acoustic stuff of which we do a lot.

She wants to start recording herself, at this point just for herself.
I'm thinking that she could use the recorder standalone (I've been doing
that a lot with my H2 for writing), or as an interface into a DAW app.
She could learn how to position a small stereo pair, etc., and also have
something to take to jams and practices to capture study material.

(The room is plenty good enough space in which to track our next album.
We'll be practicing in it for shows this month, starting next week.
We're going to set up the mic rig we use live and feed my Mobile IO
directly so we can later audition what's coming into the mics and adjust
their positions accordingly. We'd like to get to the point that all our
sources run through the MIO and then get fed back out to the house mix
system at low line level. Add the house mix and a room pair, and we
could have a very portable, very consistent system for tracking our
shows.)

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/9/2010 7:13 PM, hank alrich wrote:

I'm checking out the latest round of portable digital two-trackers with
built-in mics, and looking for one that yes, works like the Zoom H2. In
fact, that might turn out to be the ticket.

Have you looked at the Sony PCM-M10? If I didn't already
have a Zoom H2, I'd probably choose the Sony as my first
handheld recorder today. Though the new round of $100 ones
are probably as good as the H2.

In one of those fun twists of reality, Shaidri is now living in a
backyard studio in Austin.

Sounds like a good setup. If she's getting into
writing/recording, it's good to have a place away from other
distractions where she can do that.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Mike Rivers wrote:

On 12/9/2010 7:13 PM, hank alrich wrote:

I'm checking out the latest round of portable digital two-trackers with
built-in mics, and looking for one that yes, works like the Zoom H2. In
fact, that might turn out to be the ticket.

Have you looked at the Sony PCM-M10? If I didn't already
have a Zoom H2, I'd probably choose the Sony as my first
handheld recorder today. Though the new round of $100 ones
are probably as good as the H2.

Thanks, Mike. I'll kook at the Sony.

In one of those fun twists of reality, Shaidri is now living in a
backyard studio in Austin.

Sounds like a good setup. If she's getting into
writing/recording, it's good to have a place away from other
distractions where she can do that.

Not writing yet, but just wanting to listen to her own interpretations
of songs. She is a pretty amazing deliverer of material, getting ready
to choose songs for her own first project. This is gonna be fun.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:56:44 -0500, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

Have you looked at the Sony PCM-M10? If I didn't already
have a Zoom H2, I'd probably choose the Sony as my first
handheld recorder today. Though the new round of $100 ones
are probably as good as the H2.

Thanks, Mike. I'll kook at the Sony.

Sony MZ-M200 MiniDisc Recorder
Lilliputian Lifesaver
Ty Ford
When do my singer/songwriter, wedding and event video shooters, radio news
interviewers, concert tapers and podcaster friends ask me about inexpensive,
high-quality (as in, at least 16/44.1) recording thingees? Always, always and
then mostly....always. Itıs like the search for the Holy Grail. How much
money do they want to spend? Sorry, thatıs how LITTLE do they want to spend?
What do they want to do with the audio? How fussy, how fragile, how much does
the media cost?

For all of my assorted friends, the answer today, at this very moment,
especially when a small, inconspicuous device capable of 16-bit/44.1 is
needed, is the Sony MZ-M200 Hi-MD recorder. At just over four ounces with a 1
GB Hi-MD disc inserted and with 3.25 inch x 3.25 inch x .5 inch dimensions,
this $439.00 quarter pounder is not cheesy. I am a little concerned by the
fragility of the drive slot that open to receive the MD or Hi-MD discs.
Overly rushed or inexperienced hands could bend those more delicate parts
that shouldnıt be bent. Gentle and gingerly operation will insure longevity
with many happy recordings.

UPGRADED FEATURES
There are several significant features that differentiate the earlier MZ-M100
from the MZ-M200. In addition to linear PCM, the MZ-M200 supports ATRAC,
ATRACC3 and ACTRAC C3Plus formats an will playback MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3) files
from 32 kbps to 320 kbps, fixed or VBR.

You can use your existing MD disc supply for Hi-MD or regular MD recording,
although, obviously, youıll use them up a lot faster. You can charge the
3.7V, 370 mAh Lithium Ion battery either by using the external power supply
or by simply connecting the MZ-M200 via its USB cable to a powered USB port
on a computer. Although you can use the included power cube for full
operation under AC power, using only the USB cable as charger incapacitates
the MZ-M200 for anything other than charging and offloading files to your
computer.

The MZ-M200 records digitally via a mini-optical S/PDIF port, or via separate
mini TRS mic or line level analog inputs. When you insert a mini-TRS mic plug
into the MIC jack, the display indicates the recorder senses the change and
automatically shifts from LINE to MIC. Levels can be automatically or
manually adjusted. Using MANUAL RECORD which allows manual control of the
input level, was a problem with the older MZ-M100 because the system reverted
back to AGC mode every time recording was stopped. Once MANUAL is selected,
the MZ-M200 stays in MANUAL record.

It takes about two seconds for the MZ-M200 to go from dead OFF into RECORD.
Hit the RECORD toggle button and then PAUSE. Check and adjust the record
level and hit PAUSE again and you are recording. While recording you can also
toggle the MANUAL record level up or down; a very important feature. Like
many disc recorders, when you hit the STOP button after recording, the system
needs to close that file and prepare for another. This takes a number of
seconds. If your job entails recording files in quick succession, itıs
probably best to hit PAUSE rather than STOP. Each time you hit RECORD, you
can configure the MZ-M200 to create a new numbered GROUP of recordings. Each
time you hit PAUSE while in RECORD, you increment a new index number within
that GROUP number. Thatıs a very handy and logical way to organize your files
and you can also turn that feature off if you donıt like it.

Although the Hi-MD Music Transfer software for Mac users shows cut number,
duration, file size, codec, bit rate and YYYY/MO/DD, Group numbering isnıt
indicated. It may be on PCs, but Iım a Mac shop. Another Mac Limitation; Mac
users can only transfer audio from the MZ-M200, not to it. You can use the
MZ-M200 as a storage device for any sort of file, but you canıt play audio
files transferred to it from a Mac. PC users can take advantage of the
supplied Sonic Stage software to achieve bi-directional transfer of audio
from computer to the MZ-M200. Simple Burner also ³comes with² and allows
audio from a CD operating in one of your PC CD drives to pass directly
through your PC to the MZ-M200.

The MZ-M200 has an extremely valuable HOLD button, I call the ³nervous groom
disaster preventer² for wedding videographers. During any operation,
including RECORD, engaging the HOLD button locks out all of the buttons from
functioning. So when the groom fumbles around in his pocket for the wedding
ring during the ceremony, he doesnıt turn off the recorder. The hardwired
remote control still functions even if the HOLD button on the MZ-M200 is set.
If the HOLD button on the remote control and MZ-M200 are both set, all
switches are locked out.

Playback pitch and +100/-50 speed control are supported as are sync recording
from a digital source. You can Move and/or Erase individual tracks, parts of
tracks or groups of tracks. Tracks or parts of tracks can be played back
repeatedly. Several ambience programs, a six-band equalizer and a level
normalizer are also included.

In addition to acting as a headphone extension, with playback volume control
the hardwired remote control has its own small LCD display and hides a few
extra features not accessible from the MZ-M200 itself. Its black-on-black
control legends are very difficult to read. Not having a RECORD button on the
remote control isnıt a deal killer, but it would be nice for surreptitious
recording. However, If you toggle the RECORD button on the MZ-M200 first to
begin recording, you can use the PLAY/PAUSE/ENT nub on the remote control to
toggle from RECORD to RECORD PAUSE, as long as you hold the nub down for
about half a second or more. Quick closures are ignored.

IN USE
The MZ-M200 is a great bed side tool for singer/songwriters and busy
executives, either of which may wake up in the middle of the night with
thoughts that should be recorded before they are forgotten. The little stereo
clip-on mic that comes with the MZ-M200 may not be of the best quality, but
it plugs directly into the MZ-M200 or via a three-foot, RF suppressed, albeit
vibration conducting, extension cord. You donıt even have to turn the lights
on. Just grab the recorder, toggle the RECORD button, wait two seconds and
then spill your guts. Do so at a modest distance, the mic is very pop
sensitive.

For higher quality recordings, simply use a better mic. I really like the
Sony ECM 88 lav, which can be powered by a AA cell in its power supply. With
a Female XLR to mini TRS cable with pin 2 wired to both tip and ring, I was
able to get much better recordings with much less noise. To hear MP3 versions
of the .wav files I recorded, go to and look in the Sony MZ-M200 folder in my
Online Archive at www.tyford.com. The Sony ECM 88 with power supply, of
course, costs more than the MZ-M200. You may already have other solutions in
your audio bag if you need better quality recordings. Through my laptop
speakers, the selfnoise of the little stereo mic was inaudible and its
brightness did make it punch though better, but I still prefer the quieter,
smoother ECM 88.

You could also attache the MZ-M200 to the unbalanced stereo output of any
mixer and use it as a primary or backup audio recorder. For more pristine
recordings, you could record with high-end studio gear and A/D converters and
port that audio via the optical S/PDIF port on the MZ-M200.

IN CONCLUSION
Having experienced the MZ-M100, the MZ-M200 brings some fun features to the
party. The menus arenıt very deep. No, it doesnıt have phantom power or even
XLR inputs, but where inconspicuous size and 16-bit/44.1 stereo audio are
appreciated or needed, the MZ-M200 delivers. Choose the pocket you put it in
carefully. Sitting on it would definitely crush this dwarf.
Ty Ford has been reviewing gear for Pro Audio Review since the first issue.
He may be reached at www.tyford.com.
EDITOR: I have taken pictures of the MZ-M200. They are in a folder called
Sony MZ-M200 in my Online Archive at www.tyford.com. If you use one, a photo
credit would be appreciated.

AT A GLANCE:
Applications: Anywhere 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo recordings are needed.
Key Features: Small, light-weight, transferrable files, USB battery charging,
digital sync recording,
Price: $439.00

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 12/11/2010 7:01 AM, Ty Ford wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm . . . . that doesn't compare too well with today's
$100 flash memory recorders. That review must have be 6-7
years old. When was the last time you used yours? When was
the last time you bought a pack of Minidisks? It was a
pretty good deal when it came out though. I thought about
getting one myself to replace my TEAC DA-P20 portable DAT.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
al.NET

At just over four ounces with a 1
GB Hi-MD disc inserted and with 3.25 inch x 3.25 inch x
.5 inch dimensions, this $439.00 quarter pounder is not
cheesy.

For what it seems to be, it seems to be gold-plated expensive.

The media follows the same pattern - nearly $10 for a 1 GB disk.

In comparison the same kind of money will get you 4 GB of CF or SDHC.

A Zoom H1 is a little more than twice the size, but costs only about 25% as
much.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Ty Ford wrote:

Sony MZ-M200 MiniDisc Recorder
Lilliputian Lifesaver

I think it rocks in a sort of paleolithic way.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

You can be one click away from success.

Sorry for the previous anthropology report.

Ty

The M10 is a little thicker than an iPhone and comes with 4GB internal memory
and a microSD/Memory Stick Micro (M2) slot for expanded memory. It fits
comfortably in the hand.

I was able to work it immediately. After inserting two AA batteries and
holding down the power button, the M10 sprang to life, indicating the sample
rate and bit depth, amount of recording time left and that it was in STOP
mode. Hitting the REC button put the M10 instantly into record-ready with the
yellow back-lit PAUSE button flashing and meters showing level. I tapped the
PAUSE button, and was recording. Nice.

FEATURES
It like that the M10 has a dedicated record level knob. The caramel backlit
LCD display has horizontal metering that shows -40, -24, -12, -6, 0 and OVER.
There are also LEDs next to each of the two mics that indicate -12 and OVER,
so when the backlit LCD panel goes dark, you can still check metering.
Excellent.

Because there are no moving parts in the M10, the small omni condenser mics
mounted in the top corners of the case donıt pickup HD noise. Separate 1/8²
TRS jacks for external mic and pro level line in populate the space between
the mics. The 1/8² TRS out can be switched between headphone and line. In
addition to the usual controls the Track Marking button can be used during
recording to drop flags that you can use during playback with the FF and FR
buttons to jump to those points. A small USB port allows connection to any
computer where the M10 appears as a standard drive. A hardwired remote can
stop, start, record or drop track flags and has a red LED that remains lit
when recording. A 3 VDC wall wart power supply is included. Thereıs a very
small utility speaker mounted in the base of the M10 and in most normal
situations itıs loud enough to let you hear what has been recorded. You may
need to put it to your ear in noisy environments or use headphones.

IN USE
My first recording effort was a snap. I used the threaded socket on the back
of the M10 to mount it on my old 35 mm still camera tripod and positioned it
so the right mic was pointed up and the left mic down. That let me plug my
Sony MDR 7506 headphones in without the cord draping over the M10. I grabbed
my acoustic guitar and slid the rig into place so that I was singing into the
right mic and the left mic was picking up my guitar. I had to restart once
because I got too close to the mic and popped it. Note to Sony: Consider a
small foam pop hat like the Zoom H2. Second take was fine and sounded good
when played back on the Sony headphones. An easy-access front panel Delete
button plays back the selected file so you can hear the track youıre about to
blow off. Another good idea.

Connecting the M10 to my Mac NoteBook with the supplied USB cable, I dragged
the take to a Garage Band timeline, trimmed, tweaked and published the clip
to a blog page on my iWeb site. From recording on the couch to playback on
the Internet in about eight minutes.

After double recording 58 minutes with my Canon XL2 MiniDV and the M10, The
M10 was 6 frames fast. There is a five-second pre-record buffer, but you have
to be in record stand-by for five seconds to fill the buffer. Battery life
with the M10 is phenomenal. I never drained the two AA I used, and saw one
report claiming forty-three hours of constant record. The digital limiter,
along with over 10 dB of analog headroom, allows a wide spectrum of input
levels to be successfully recorded.

When I loaded files from my Mac to the M10 for playback. It worked for my MP3
files but not for all of my .WAV files. The basic PTLE stereo files played
back, but some I had brought into iTunes and added metadata to would not
play. Sony was able to open my files in Sound Forge and resave without
metadata. For Macs, opening the files with Switch software and saving them as
standard .WAV files allowed the problem files to play.

Summary
The M10 feels and acts like a solid toy. I like the feature set.

Fast Facts
Applications: Recording audio anywhere.
Features: Dual, on board condenser omnis, discrete record level, easy access
to most controls, multiple sample and bit rates of MP3 and .WAV
Price: $329
Contact:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...y?catalogId=10
551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666016155

Product Points
Up: Phenomenal battery life, excellent headroom/limiter design.
Down: Clock is not quite accurate for long double system recording.
Sco I own a Sound Devices 744T and still want one of these.

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA