Posted to rec.audio.pro
Harry Putnam Harry Putnam is offline

Default A little help with adaptors and naming.

I've been amazoning for a specific adaptor and found my puny skills to
be wanting in pretty short order.

So, two things:

1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

Not the other and more common adaptor that transfers the pc jack to
2 1/4 TR plugs, that carry only 1 left and 1 right in either plug.

Now, I realize that the adaptation could be done with more pieces
to it but had hoped to find a single piece of wire manufactured for
just the purpose described above.

Is there a proper name for the first described above that could be
used in these searches and draw better results?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer[_5_] Ethan Winer[_5_] is offline

On Monday, February 3, 2014 11:50:26 AM UTC-5, Harry Putnam wrote:
2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

This is the perfect excuse to learn how to solder!

--Ethan
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

What you're looking for is a 1/8" TRS male 2 1/4" TRS male cable. It's not a stock item, but you can create it from a 1/8" TRS male 1/4" TRS male cable plus a 1/4" TRS female 2 1/4" TRS male cable. The latter is also not particularly common, but check Radio Shack.

If you'd rather have the whole thing in a single cable, either do as Ethan Winer suggests -- learn to solder, then build it yourself -- or get in touch with Markertek, which will build just about anything for you.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

PStamler writes:

What you're looking for is a 1/8" TRS male 2 1/4" TRS male cable. It's no=
t a stock item, but you can create it from a 1/8" TRS male 1/4" TRS male =
cable plus a 1/4" TRS female 2 1/4" TRS male cable. The latter is also no=
t particularly common, but check Radio Shack.

If you'd rather have the whole thing in a single cable, either do as Ethan =
Winer suggests -- learn to solder, then build it yourself -- or get in touc=
h with Markertek, which will build just about anything for you.

Might even be in the adaptor section of the Markertek catalog. They've often had
some pretty wild stuff. To the OP, check it out.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Harry Putnam wrote:
I've been amazoning for a specific adaptor and found my puny skills to
be wanting in pretty short order.

So, two things:

1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

Markertek Video Supply is a good place.

2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

It's not a 1/8 plug, it's a 3.5mm plug or a mini phone plug.

So, you want a Y connector with 3.5mm male on one end to two 1/4 phones
on the other end, T-T, R-R, S-S?

That's weird. Markertek will probably have to make that up as a custom,
although their custom cables aren't expensive.

Not the other and more common adaptor that transfers the pc jack to
2 1/4 TR plugs, that carry only 1 left and 1 right in either plug.

Now, I realize that the adaptation could be done with more pieces
to it but had hoped to find a single piece of wire manufactured for
just the purpose described above.

Is there a proper name for the first described above that could be
used in these searches and draw better results?

Just pick up the phone and talk to the Markertek people. Or call Gepco,
which also does good custom cables for cheap. Or make it yourself.

Out of curiosity, why do you want such a strange thing?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Harry Putnam" wrote in message ...

I've been amazoning for a specific adaptor and found my puny skills to
be wanting in pretty short order.

So, two things:

1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

Not the other and more common adaptor that transfers the pc jack to
2 1/4 TR plugs, that carry only 1 left and 1 right in either plug.

Now, I realize that the adaptation could be done with more pieces
to it but had hoped to find a single piece of wire manufactured for
just the purpose described above.

It's unlikely you will find what you are looking for off the shelf, this is
rather an unusual configuration.

I know you said you didn't want more pieces, but, by far the simplest,
cheapest and quickest solution would be to get one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Stereo...3D400617159831

And 2 of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-to3-5m... em1e861a2eaf

You can probably get both locally, cheaply, and with little difficulty.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/3/2014 11:50 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:

1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.

Amazon has so many suppliers that usually if it exists, somebody
probably has it. But what I've found when searching from Amazon is that
I sometimes have to fool around with the search term before I get to
somebody who has what I'm looking for.

2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

The reason why you're having difficulty finding that cable is because
nobody else wants on. Are you sure this is what you really need? Out of
curiosity, what's your application? What most people need is to split
the left and right channels of a stereo output into two separate cables
so they can connect one powered speaker or amplifier to the left channel
of the source and the other to the right channel. If you were asking for
the 1/4" ends to be jacks (female) rather than plugs, that would be
practical for splitting a single 1/8" output to two standard sets of
headphones. But when it comes to speakers, when you have two leads
splitting out from the source, you usually want one channel on each cable.

In general, the term to use when searching for this type of cable or
adapter is "Y-cable" or "splitter." You might try those, but honestly I
don't think you'll find what you're looking for off the shelf.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 02/03/2014 03:30 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...
2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

It's difficult to imagine the purpose of carrying to copies of
the signal to the speaker. Is this really a thing?

I think Harry is confusing TRS jacks with Stereo jacks.

I actually misread what he was asking for as having each
cable carry two copies of each signal. Now it sounds even
stranger - full stereo to the left speaker, and full stereo
to the right speaker? Curiouser and curiouser.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Tobiah" wrote in message ...
2) The adaptor I need would do this: Transfer the stereo 1/8 out
(earphone) jack on PC, to two 1/4 Stereo TRS male plugs. The kind
used to power some kinds of speakers, where each carries the full
stereo... both left and right in each plug.

It's difficult to imagine the purpose of carrying to copies of
the signal to the speaker. Is this really a thing?

I think Harry is confusing TRS jacks with Stereo jacks.

I actually misread what he was asking for as having each
cable carry two copies of each signal. Now it sounds even
stranger - full stereo to the left speaker, and full stereo
to the right speaker? Curiouser and curiouser.

No, he is confusing TRS with Stereo.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014 08:50:26 -0800, Harry Putnam wrote
(in article ):

1) I wonder if folks here may know of a better place than amazon to be
looking for some of the more uncommon kinds of adaptors.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

Markertek:

http://www.markertek.com/
(800) 522-2025

Their phone order people are actually very helpful.

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 4/02/2014 5:50 a.m., Harry Putnam wrote:
[...]

No point in going for TRS at the big jack end, as you are never going to
get a balanced signal out of the 3.5mm stereo jack.

3.5mm TRS jack to 2x 6.3mm TS jack is reasonably commonly available. I
think Whirlwind do some of various lengths. MST2T06 and 25 are some.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 4/02/2014 6:24 p.m., geoff wrote:

No point in going for TRS at the big jack end, as you are never going to
get a balanced signal out of the 3.5mm stereo jack.

3.5mm TRS jack to 2x 6.3mm TS jack is reasonably commonly available. I
think Whirlwind do some of various lengths. MST2T06 and 25 are some.

geoff

OK, I mis-read the OP.

Alternatively to the mentioned cable, has one of the devices that takes
stereo on a TRS (?!) got a 'Thru' connection, to daisy-chain.

A specific idea of what you are trying to achieve, with what gear, may
help us point you in the right direction. It does look rather odd, as if
you are barking up a wrong tree.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Harry Putnam Harry Putnam is offline

Mike Rivers writes:

[...]

The reason why you're having difficulty finding that cable is because
nobody else wants on. Are you sure this is what you really need? Out
of curiosity, what's your application? What most people need is to
split the left and right channels of a stereo output into two separate
cables so they can connect one powered speaker or amplifier to the
left channel of the source and the other to the right channel. If you
were asking for the 1/4" ends to be jacks (female) rather than plugs,
that would be practical for splitting a single 1/8" output to two
standard sets of headphones. But when it comes to speakers, when you
have two leads splitting out from the source, you usually want one
channel on each cable.

Ok folks, looks like Mike R, Tobiah, Gareth and probably several more
responders have busted me being an idiot.

Its just like several of you have said.

My initial thought was just sheer idiocy. I can only attempt to save
a little face by saying that I did catch it before all these
bull... hehe)

All I really needed I had laying right here, (a straight up splitter
from 3.5mm plug to 2 1/4 (male) TR) and hadn't even tried it. Once
I'd noticed the ends were TR not TRS I just new it wouldn't do.

Not sure what had seeped into my pea brain to make me think BOTH
speakers would need duplicate STEREO signals.

Finally just plugged in the adapter I had all along and of course it
was just what the doctor ordered.

So thanks to all, and again the newsgroup has saved me a few bucks of
useless expenditure.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff writes:

A specific idea of what you are trying to achieve, with what gear, may
help us point you in the right direction. It does look rather odd, as
if you are barking up a wrong tree.

Yup, you nailed it about the miss aimed barking. All I really needed
was the common adaptor from 3.5mm 2 mail 1/4 TR. At some point even
my small soft brain begain to be uneasy with the idea I wanted to
carry duplicate STERO connections to BOTH speakers.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/5/2014 11:44 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
All I really needed
was the common adaptor from 3.5mm 2 mail 1/4 TR. At some point even
my small soft brain begain to be uneasy with the idea I wanted to
carry duplicate STERO connections to BOTH speakers.

That's a little hard to find, but whenever I say that, someone posts a
link to where you can order one, Mini stereo to two RCA plugs, for some
reason, is more common, probably to get audio from a portable CD player
or tablet into a home receiver.

I get Mini-2xRCA cables at Radio Shack along with a pair of RCA-1/4"
adapters. Then I have what I need for most occasions.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 6/02/2014 5:44 a.m., Harry Putnam wrote:
geoff writes:

A specific idea of what you are trying to achieve, with what gear, may
help us point you in the right direction. It does look rather odd, as
if you are barking up a wrong tree.

Yup, you nailed it about the miss aimed barking. All I really needed
was the common adaptor from 3.5mm 2 mail 1/4 TR. At some point even
my small soft brain begain to be uneasy with the idea I wanted to
carry duplicate STERO connections to BOTH speakers.

Thanks for reporting back here and resolving the mystery for us ;-)

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

Harry, if you want a good exposure to the basics, pick up a copy of the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

PStamler wrote:

Harry, if you want a good exposure to the basics, pick up a copy of the
Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook.

Peace, aul

That's excellent advice.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com