Posted to rec.audio.car
R R is offline

Default When is a relay necessary?

When is it necessary to use a relay to turn on multiple amplifiers and/or
eqs?
Head unit is an Alpine CDE-9870. Three units to turn on:
Eclipse 2101 eq,
PPI DCX 500.2 amplifier, and
MTX MXA 400.2 amplifier.
I could use a SPST 12v relay controlled by the turn-on wire from the Alpine,
or just hook the amps and eq to the turn-on wire directly.
All input appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Mar 31, 11:40 am, "R" wrote:

When is it necessary to use a relay to turn on multiple amplifiers
and/or eqs?

See if you can get the current draws for each device, add 'em up and
if they don't exceed the rated current capability of your head unit,
you're golden. With three devices, though, I'm inclined to think that
you might be cutting it close--using the relay certainly would not
hurt you at all. When in doubt, play it safe--relays are cheap, fixing
head units is not.

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
danssoslow[_2_] danssoslow[_2_] is offline

I've ran into this problem only once where we found it necessary to use
a relay. Don't know if it had the potential to destroy anything before
we added the relay, but we wern't inclined to find out. Personaly, I'd
try going without the relay first, if any device doesn't come on, use
the relay.

If you are going to use a relay, make sure to fuse each wire going to
the amps, etc. I messed up a pefectly fine RF 500a using a jumper from
the power to the remote as a quick fix once. It lasted for two days,
then bye bye amp.

--
danssoslow
Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40[_8_] KU40[_8_] is offline

I'd use it just to be safe. My general rule is if I have more than 2
pieces of equipment to turn on. One time I thought I'd be ok with one
EQ and two amps but they would shut off after about 3 seconds. I think
that had to do with the lightning audio amp (strike or storm series,
don't remember. it was actually good, not junk like the bolt line), it
drew a lot of power from the remote line.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
mfreak mfreak is offline

On Mar 31, 1:40 pm, "R" wrote:
When is it necessary to use a relay to turn on multiple amplifiers and/or
eqs?
Head unit is an Alpine CDE-9870. Three units to turn on:
Eclipse 2101 eq,
PPI DCX 500.2 amplifier, and
MTX MXA 400.2 amplifier.
I could use a SPST 12v relay controlled by the turn-on wire from the Alpine,
or just hook the amps and eq to the turn-on wire directly.
All input appreciated.

If you're going to run any kind of fans for cooling, you'll need a
relay,

relay interference genev Tech 5 December 7th 05 11:15 AM
Connecting diode to relay Vestax05pro Car Audio 12 May 20th 05 03:27 PM
Need a 12 relay for my B&K pro5 SPritch57 Tech 2 April 16th 05 03:33 AM
Help need a 12V relay for my B&K pro5 SPritch57 Marketplace 0 January 11th 05 05:40 AM
Power amp relay problems gil Tech 3 October 5th 04 11:18 PM