Asterix

Default Best TUBE HEADPHONE AMP

Hello, please help, i am going mad, i can't decide what to buy exactly.
There seems to be many choices and lots of hype regarding certain amps. I am
interested in finding the best sound quality especially for acoustic jazz
music. I am currently using a Luxman LX-33 integrated amp which I like a lot
but am looking to upgrade. I am confused about the elusiveness of
information regarding tube headphone amps and would like it if someone could
please recommend the best tube headphone amp for 300 ohm Sennheiser HD650's.
Thanks.

Obviously looking for a warm, detailed sound with good bandwith.

paul packer

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:12:53 GMT, "Asterix"
wrote:

Hello, please help, i am going mad,

Then you're in the right place.

i can't decide what to buy exactly.

Then you're in the right place. Theoretically.

There seems to be many choices and lots of hype regarding certain amps.

Hype is indeed what most of it is.

I am
interested in finding the best sound quality especially for acoustic jazz
music. I am currently using a Luxman LX-33 integrated amp which I like a lot
but am looking to upgrade.

Why, if you like it a lot? What is missing?

I am confused about the elusiveness of
information regarding tube headphone amps and would like it if someone could
please recommend the best tube headphone amp for 300 ohm Sennheiser HD650's.

This is a big ask. How many people have sampled a number of tube
headphone amps while using Senn 650s? I've only used the M.F. X Can
v2 using Senn HD 580 and was not impressed. Personally at the time I
much preferred my Marantz PM4000 amp. Now I use a vintage Luxman L200
with Senn 595 and find it a very satisfying combination (on
classical). Frankly I'm not convinced of the necessity of headphone
amps, so I ask again: why are you dissatisfied with your Luxman LX-33?
What specific areas do you hope to improve?

Thanks.

Obviously looking for a warm, detailed sound with good bandwith.

Join the club.

wrote:

Hello, please help, i am going mad,

Then you're in the right place.

i can't decide what to buy exactly.

Some web sites (dot coms, mostly, I think, but some may be dot orgs):

headphone

headwize

head-fi

[...]

I'll add that I used to have a Luxman integrated amp (can't remember
the model) from the late 1970s'/early 1980's and the headphone output
sounded great with my Grado headphones!

If you decide to get a headphone amp, make sure to get return
privileges. You may find it's no better than your Luxman.

Thanks.

Obviously looking for a warm, detailed sound with good bandwith.

Join the club.

Trevor Wilson

wrote:

Frankly I'm not convinced of the necessity of headphone
amps,

**Contact me off-group. I may have something which will alter your
perceptions.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Powell

"Asterix" wrote

There seems to be many choices and lots of hype
regarding certain amps. I am interested in finding
the best sound quality especially for acoustic jazz
music. I am currently using a Luxman LX-33
integrated amp which I like a lot but am looking to
upgrade. I am confused about the elusiveness of
information regarding tube headphone amps and
would like it if someone could please recommend
the best tube headphone amp for 300 ohm
Sennheiser HD650's.
Thanks.

Obviously looking for a warm, detailed sound with
good bandwith.

A few design choices in tube headphone amps:

All tube SET design with OTL/transformer coupled out
puts. $400.
http://www.divertech.com/mgheaddt.html

Dual Triode Vacuum Tube output stage. $1,600.
http://www.stax.co.jp/ENG/SRM006tE.html

V20, push-pull class A circuit with triode, 26 - 12AX7
tubes and four 12AU7 tubes. $5,500.
http://www.ear-yoshino.com

Asterix

What specific areas do you hope to improve?

Not really sure, since I haven't demo'd a lot of amps side by side. At first
I decided to get a portable solid-state amp to use with my pc and in my
bedroom. But as I read and thought more about it I decided I really wanted
to go with tubes (for sonic reasons) and don't care if it's portable or not.
This is because I do like my Luxman a lot but I assume that I would get
better or similarly good results with a decent new tube headphone amp.

Asterix

Asterix

headphone

headwize

head-fi

I am familiar with these sites, especially been reading a lot at head-fi,
unfortunately you have to pay to post, but I may donate so I can post about
this hi-fi decision.

Why, if you like it a lot? What is missing?

I like it just fine, but I would prefer it if the sound was a little more
mellow and less forward in the highs because sometimes sounds can be
fatigueing (this is with the new HD650's.) This may be a result of my source
(cheap Panasonic cd/dvd changer.) More details and frequency bandwith would
be nice to give me 'more' of the music, but this might mean I will have to
upgrade my source too. Maybe a Rega Planet since it "sounds like vinyl"?

I'll add that I used to have a Luxman integrated amp (can't remember
the model) from the late 1970s'/early 1980's and the headphone output
sounded great with my Grado headphones!

That's good to hear and I must agree that to my ears without comparison I
think the Luxman has a very warm, balanced, and detailed sound overall. I
mainly looking to improve upon it's good qualities, if that's possible
without overspending.

If you decide to get a headphone amp, make sure to get return
privileges. You may find it's no better than your Luxman.

Definately.

paul packer

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:10:09 GMT, "Trevor Wilson"
wrote:

Frankly I'm not convinced of the necessity of headphone
amps,

**Contact me off-group. I may have something which will alter your
perceptions.

LSD?

Better email me, Trevor. I'm getting SPAMBLOCKED. --Paul.
jeffc

"Asterix" wrote in message
Hello, please help, i am going mad, i can't decide what to buy exactly.
There seems to be many choices and lots of hype regarding certain amps. I

am
interested in finding the best sound quality especially for acoustic jazz
music. I am currently using a Luxman LX-33 integrated amp which I like a

lot
but am looking to upgrade. I am confused about the elusiveness of
information regarding tube headphone amps and would like it if someone

could
please recommend the best tube headphone amp for 300 ohm Sennheiser

HD650's.
Thanks.

Obviously looking for a warm, detailed sound with good bandwith.

Frankly, headphone amps are overrated. You really don't need a lot to drive
headphones. Having said that, I have Senn 600s and Musical Fidelity XCans
(tube) and HeadRoom Little. The MF goes louder (but I couldn't possibly use
it all). HR Little has a nice processor switch that I find has a subtle
effect, but a less fatiguing sound over time. Without the processor, I
can't really tell a lot of difference between them except for power output.

paul packer

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 06:04:20 GMT, "Asterix"
wrote:

don't most cd
players sound similar? I have heard most recently made cd players sound
about the same. Is this true?

It is if your name is Howard or Arnold.

But seriously, no. You wouldn't really expect a $100 player to sound
the same as a $1500 one would you? But you don't even have to look
between price ranges. I can remember years ago temporarily swapping my
Nad CD player for my brother's Harmon Kardon--both budget machines.
The difference was far greater than that between any amps I've heard.
The NAD was very bright, the Harmon quite dull. Neither was brilliant
in any other regard, but on balance grounds alone both would have to
be carefully matched with other equipment. So no, don't believe all CD
players sound the same.

Asterix

All tube SET design with OTL/transformer coupled out
puts. $400.
http://www.divertech.com/mgheaddt.html

Hi,

Can you comment, at least subjectively, on an amp like this might sound?
Thanks.

Asterix

Powell

"Asterix" wrote

All tube SET design with OTL/transformer coupled out
puts. $400.
http://www.divertech.com/mgheaddt.html

Can you comment, at least subjectively, on an amp
like this might sound?

Sorry. Frankly, I’ve become disenchanted with the
limitations of dynamic headphones. I’m uncertain if
upgrading the electronics will result in an appreciable
sound improvement or just more lipstick on a pig.

paul packer

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:46:37 -0400, "Powell"
wrote:

Sorry. Frankly, I’ve become disenchanted with the
limitations of dynamic headphones. I’m uncertain if
upgrading the electronics will result in an appreciable
sound improvement or just more lipstick on a pig.

There'll be no running Miss Piggy down while I'm around.

Perhaps you'd like to tell us what the limitations of dynamic
headphones are.
Arny Krueger

wrote:

don't most cd
players sound similar? I have heard most recently made cd players
sound about the same. Is this true?

It is if your name is Howard or Arnold.

But seriously, no. You wouldn't really expect a $100 player to sound
the same as a $1500 one would you?

Is this a debating trade approach to sound quality or what?

But you don't even have to look
between price ranges. I can remember years ago temporarily swapping my
Nad CD player for my brother's Harmon Kardon--both budget machines.
The difference was far greater than that between any amps I've heard.

Absence of level-matched, time-synched, bias-controlled listening tests
noted.

The NAD was very bright, the Harmon quite dull. Neither was brilliant
in any other regard, but on balance grounds alone both would have to
be carefully matched with other equipment. So no, don't believe all CD
players sound the same.

Well of course they don't sound the same to most people, because almost
nobody listens to them level-matched, time-synched and bias-controlled.

"jeffc" wrote in message r.com...
"Asterix" wrote in message
Hello, please help, i am going mad, i can't decide what to buy exactly.
There seems to be many choices and lots of hype regarding certain amps. I

am
interested in finding the best sound quality especially for acoustic jazz
music. I am currently using a Luxman LX-33 integrated amp which I like a

lot
but am looking to upgrade. I am confused about the elusiveness of
information regarding tube headphone amps and would like it if someone

could
please recommend the best tube headphone amp for 300 ohm Sennheiser

HD650's.
Thanks.

Obviously looking for a warm, detailed sound with good bandwith.

Frankly, headphone amps are overrated.

Agree, although I haven't tried the MF or most headphone amps; dealers
rarely stock any headphone amps where I live. But you're right,
driving a pair of headphones isn't rocket science.

I used to do a lot of headphone listening, and here's the attraction
of headphone amps, IMHO:

* Small
* Really kinda cool to have and look at
* Makes it easy to put an equalizer or other processor between CD
player and amp, like so:

CD player - Processor - Headphone amp - Headphones

Other than the above, unless your other gear has headphone outputs
that sound bad, I can't see much reason to have a headphone amp. I've
owned several headphone amps and they are fun to own and use, but
soundwise I can live without 'em.

It's also possible to build your own headphone amp, like the models
designed by Chu Moy and others. If you search the web and/or eBay.com
for CMOY, you'll find examples; you can also search for other
headphone amps. Some people have reworked the Chu Moy design quite a
bit, converting it from battery power to being powered by a wall
socket, and other tweaks and changes. I haven't looked lately, but
there are usually a lot of CMOY and other headphone amps on eBay, so
you could look there for examples.

You really don't need a lot to drive
headphones.

Exactly. A lot of the fancy-shmancy "audiophile" headphone amps are
sold with a lot of hype that really doesn't make much sense,
especially given how simple a headphone amp really is.

Having said that, I have Senn 600s and Musical Fidelity XCans
(tube) and HeadRoom Little. The MF goes louder (but I couldn't possibly use
it all). HR Little has a nice processor switch that I find has a subtle
effect, but a less fatiguing sound over time. Without the processor, I
can't really tell a lot of difference between them except for power output.

I really didn't care for the processor, but obviously YMMV. Glad it
worked well for you. For me, it was a gimmick, but I can understand
why a small company like Headroom would want to include something that
their competitors don't.

"Powell" wrote in message ...
"Asterix" wrote

(snip)

Dual Triode Vacuum Tube output stage. $1,600.
http://www.stax.co.jp/ENG/SRM006tE.html

Most RAO readers will already know this, but in case some don't, the
above is designed only for particular Stax electrostatic headphones
("earspeakers" in Stax-speak). Won't work for the original poster's
Sennheisers.

BTW, I used to own some Stax electret headphones, and they sounded
good, but I think dynamic headphones are so good now and can be used
with so many kinds of audio gear that dynamic headphones make more
sense for most consumers, assuming the other hardware has decent
headphone outputs.

There are usually a few Stax models on eBay.com, BTW. I think a lot of
people buy headphones and find they lose interest in it. I've noticed
that used Stax and other fancy headphones are often in excellent
condition.

I'd love to try newer Stax models, but no dealers here and the prices
are awfully high too.

(snip)
Asterix

Well, for better or for worse, I took the plunge and ordered an Antique
Sound Labs MG HEAD DT/OTL MK III. I could use a second amp anywhere (for my
pc mainly) because of the electrical ground loop (or whatever) issues that I
get when I plug my Luxman into my PC. Apparently some of the salespeople
seemed to think that this amp would make a 'night and day' difference of the
Luxman headphone out. I don't know of this is true, but I can return it if
I'm dissatisfied so not much to lose here. I am going to probably be getting
a cd player as well, (any suggestions for budget stuff?) Thanks.

Powell

"N" wrote

There are usually a few Stax models on eBay.com,

Yes, I was just there looking myself. .

BTW. I think a lot of people buy headphones and
find they lose interest in it.

Bingo!

I've noticed that used Stax and other fancy headphones
are often in excellent condition.

Agreed. But there are several models and variations
in the Stax lineup, over the years, making it difficult
to know where each offering fits into the high end
scale, assuming there is an appreciable variation .

I'd love to try newer Stax models, but no dealers here
and the prices are awfully high too.

Agreed. But there are few dealers because of low
demand, not higher cost. Dealers like high cost,
that's good for business (profit margin) .

Powell

"paul packer" wrote

Sorry. Frankly, I’ve become disenchanted with the
limitations of dynamic headphones. I’m uncertain if
upgrading the electronics will result in an appreciable
sound improvement or just more lipstick on a pig.

There'll be no running Miss Piggy down while I'm around.

That would be Howard in a dress ?

Perhaps you'd like to tell us what the limitations of
dynamic headphones are.

Just a guess, but I would suspect it’s a material
science “limitation.” Over the last 30 years, at
least, the traducers and other critical components
used in the manufacture of headphones have
varied from organic to inorganic. There seems to
be little learned and no direction. Headphones
in general use today (dynamic) are only
incrementally better from those of the past.

Have you heard headphones that sounded better,
overall, than your own main speakers? I think
most would say no. I suspect as an industry
(headphones) is cottage sized in comparison to
other components technologies in a Hi-Fi system.
And as a science, far more research money has
been spent on hearing aids.

paul packer

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:10:13 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
The NAD was very bright, the Harmon quite dull. Neither was brilliant
in any other regard, but on balance grounds alone both would have to
be carefully matched with other equipment. So no, don't believe all CD
players sound the same.

Well of course they don't sound the same to most people, because almost
nobody listens to them level-matched, time-synched and bias-controlled.

Have you got nuts and bolts for ears, Arnie? I'll grant you that much
of the described differences between components is hyperbole, but you
surely can't continue to pretend that all components sound the same
so long as they're level-matched, time-synched and bias-controlled.
You could do all that to these two components till the cows came home
and no way would they ever sound even vaguely similar. One had a
bright balance ("ouch!"), one a dull balance ("hey, where's the
highs?"). Totally different under any and all circumstances. Follow?

paul packer

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:11:05 -0400, "Powell"
wrote:

Have you heard headphones that sounded better,
overall, than your own main speakers?

Yep, my current ones. Different but better. Why? Because I can afford
quite good headphones but only mediocre speakers, and therein lies one
of the reasons to buy headphones: fiscally they may be your only hope
for high end audio.

I think
most would say no.

I think most would say yes.

I suspect as an industry
(headphones) is cottage sized in comparison to
other components technologies in a Hi-Fi system.
And as a science, far more research money has
been spent on hearing aids.

Well, true overall, but I'm sure companies like Sennheiser, Stax,
Beyer and AKG are trying hard, even if their comparative turnover is
not breathtaking.
jeffc

"N" wrote in message
om...

I'd first consider a CD player upgrade if you think the "fatiguing"

quality
is coming from the source (which it very well might be.) Then I'd

consider
the HeadRoom Little, as the processor will further reduce fatiguing

sound
IMO.

I had the Little Headroom and while overall I liked it, I disliked the
processors. YMMV.

If you want to really get some different sound quality, rather than
buying a tube amp and hoping that it will sound different than your
Luxman (if both are designed correctly and working properly, they
should both be accurate and sound identical), you could try things
that will really alter the sound in ways that you might like.

For example, you could add an equalizer, BBE processor, use the tone
controls on your Luxman, or try anything else that's designed to
change the sound in ways your ear may find pleasing.

You mean like the HeadRoom processor?

Yet another thought is that maybe your headphones just don't sound
good to you and you could consider changing to another model. I've
owned a lot of headphones, and like any kind of loudspeaker, different
models do sound different from each other. Years ago, I tried either
the 580 or 600 and it didn't suit me at all, despite many glowing
reviews; just didn't sound good to me. Kind of distant. I like some
other Sennheiser models (I own several; some other brands too) and
generally speaking, Sennheiser (IMHO; YMMV) makes the most comfortable
models, but overall I prefer the sound of my $95 Grado SR80's. The
Grados (I've owned several models) are the headphones that most sound
like fine loudspeakers in a decent room.

I think the SR60 is one of the most overrated "audiophile" "bargains" of all
time, and the SR80 isn't far behind. Going all the way to the top of the
line doesn't help much - if anything, the sound gets more tubby and bloated
in the bass. But I do agree with you on one thing - buy what you like.

paul packer

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 04:32:52 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

I think the SR60 is one of the most overrated "audiophile" "bargains" of all
time, and the SR80 isn't far behind. Going all the way to the top of the
line doesn't help much - if anything, the sound gets more tubby and bloated
in the bass. But I do agree with you on one thing - buy what you like.

Tend to agree with this. I had TWO SR80s. I bought one, didn't like
it. sold it, then read so much more praise of it everywhere that I
decided I needed to hear it again with my (by then) different
equipment. Still didn't like it, in fact liked it less. Plus quite
uncomfortable. What's all the fuss?

"jeffc" wrote in message ...
"N" wrote in message
[...]

That's another example.

[...]

I have the SR40 also and used to have the SR200 (bought used;
discontinued). I didn't feel that the SR200 sounded any better than
the SR80, just different. I liked the SR80 slightly better than the
SR60, but can't honestly say that I'd reliably be able to hear a
difference.

Given that all the Grados above the SR40 have the same basic design,
I've always been suspicious that the more expensive models might not
be much different. But they're too pricey for me, so I haven't tried
'em and don't really know.

The biggest virtue of the Grados (IMHO, YMMV, etc.) is that they sound
like speakers in a room, not like typical headphones where I'm more
aware I'm wearing headphones.

But I do agree with you on one thing - buy what you like.

Exactly. As for the Grados, I actually use my old Sennheisers
(discontinued) because they're the most comfortable. They're are from
a series of discontinued Sennheiser headphones that all had the same
ergonomics and design.

I've thought about getting some Sennheiser headphones and putting in
Grado drivers, just for kicks.

As for personal taste, I suggest that when shopping for headphones,
try 'em on first with no music playing. Even if they sound great, if
the fit is bad, they won't get used. Been there, done that!

(paul packer) wrote in message ...
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 04:32:52 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

I think the SR60 is one of the most overrated "audiophile" "bargains" of all
time, and the SR80 isn't far behind. Going all the way to the top of the
line doesn't help much - if anything, the sound gets more tubby and bloated
in the bass. But I do agree with you on one thing - buy what you like.

Tend to agree with this. I had TWO SR80s. I bought one, didn't like
it. sold it, then read so much more praise of it everywhere that I
decided I needed to hear it again with my (by then) different
equipment. Still didn't like it, in fact liked it less. Plus quite
uncomfortable. What's all the fuss?

While I own and like the SR80, I realize it's subjective and I'm glad
everyone can find something that suits them better.

Just generall speaking, I've also had the experience of buying
audiophile/reviewer approved hardware, only to find it didn't suit me
at all, which is why I always advocate try before you buy and
shopping/buying at local retailers. I think sometimes the
audiophile/reviewer crowd is much less familiar with
budget-priced/cheap gear and is occasionally a little too easily
impressed with anything that's cheap, yet decent. These sort of people
may not realize there is better gear available at low price points.

As for headphones and comfort, over time I found that either I got
used to the Grados or they got used to me. (BTW, the web holds some
tweaks to alter/improve the comfort, but I haven't tried those mod.)
But the most comfy Sennheisers are definitely more comfy than the
Grados. And better ergonomics too on Sennheisers, like no clunky,
thick cord on both earpieces, as on the Grado SR60 and above models.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"paul packer" wrote in message

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 06:04:20 GMT, "Asterix"
wrote:

(snip)

But seriously, no. You wouldn't really expect a $100 player to sound
the same as a $1500 one would you?

The sound of a $1500 player would include the sound of me going
"ouch!" when I looked at the price tag.

Is this a debating trade approach to sound quality or what?

So you're saying we shouldn't use our expectations to judge CD
players? ;-)

But you don't even have to look
between price ranges. I can remember years ago temporarily swapping my
Nad CD player for my brother's Harmon Kardon--both budget machines.
The difference was far greater than that between any amps I've heard.

Absence of level-matched, time-synched, bias-controlled listening tests
noted.

The NAD was very bright, the Harmon quite dull. Neither was brilliant
in any other regard, but on balance grounds alone both would have to
be carefully matched with other equipment. So no, don't believe all CD
players sound the same.

Well of course they don't sound the same to most people, because almost
nobody listens to them level-matched, time-synched and bias-controlled.

I'll add that with typical home receivers, preamps, or integrated
amps, it probably would have been pretty easy to connect both players
and play identical CDs simultaneously, then switch between the players
with one switch. While that wouldn't be an ideal test, at least both
players could be heard at close to the same time, so differences
should be more obvious.

Of course, it's possible that something's wrong with the NAD and/or
the HK and they really would sound very different. But I agree there
are better ways to test, although to the home consumer they may not be
worthwhile.

wrote:

Have you heard headphones that sounded better,
overall, than your own main speakers?

Yep, my current ones. Different but better. Why? Because I can afford
quite good headphones but only mediocre speakers, and therein lies one
of the reasons to buy headphones: fiscally they may be your only hope
for high end audio.

Agree.

I think
most would say no.

I think most would say yes.

Agree. But I'll add that some people just don't like headphones much,
and for them, no headphone is good.

I suspect as an industry
(headphones) is cottage sized in comparison to
other components technologies in a Hi-Fi system.

I think Etymotic uses Sony drivers, BTW. Presumably a company as big
as Sony can put a lot of experience and resources into components such
as the drivers Etymotic uses.

And as a science, far more research money has
been spent on hearing aids.

Would be interesting to see a $$$ figure on research money on home
audio ear gear vs. hearing aids.

Well, true overall, but I'm sure companies like Sennheiser, Stax,
Beyer and AKG are trying hard, even if their comparative turnover is
not breathtaking.

Sennheiser is a huge, worldwide outfit and I bet they put more effort
into headphones than many speaker makers do, many of which are, BTW,
cottage industries making very few models, using off-the-shelf
components, and not selling a lot either. Sennheiser has huge
experience and resources, and I'm only using Sennheiser as an example.
I'll bet the brands you mention above and others with impressive
reputations (such as Etymotic and Shure,which make in-ear models) are
also making big efforts.

IMHO, dynamic headphones really can sound terrific these days. And as
you point out, the bang for your buck is huge, compared to buying good
loudspeakers.

But it's all a YMMV thing for most of us. If other people like other
gear better than I do, I'm glad they found gear that suits them and
are enjoying it.
jeffc

"N" wrote in message
om...

The biggest virtue of the Grados (IMHO, YMMV, etc.) is that they sound
like speakers in a room, not like typical headphones where I'm more
aware I'm wearing headphones.

Well, they sound like the speakers you're used to listening to, or like.

As for personal taste, I suggest that when shopping for headphones,
try 'em on first with no music playing. Even if they sound great, if
the fit is bad, they won't get used. Been there, done that!

And not just for a couple minutes, but leave them on for about 30. Hard to
do, I know.

jeffc

"N" wrote in message
om...

As for headphones and comfort, over time I found that either I got
used to the Grados or they got used to me. (BTW, the web holds some
tweaks to alter/improve the comfort, but I haven't tried those mod.)
But the most comfy Sennheisers are definitely more comfy than the
Grados. And better ergonomics too on Sennheisers, like no clunky,
thick cord on both earpieces, as on the Grado SR60 and above models.

Well maybe you should try the AKG K240 or similar. Sound similar to Grado,
but WAY more comfortable.

Arny Krueger

wrote:

The NAD was very bright, the Harmon quite dull. Neither was
brilliant in any other regard, but on balance grounds alone both
would have to be carefully matched with other equipment. So no,
don't believe all CD players sound the same.

Well of course they don't sound the same to most people, because
almost nobody listens to them level-matched, time-synched and
bias-controlled.

Have you got nuts and bolts for ears, Arnie?

Just as surely as you have zero intrapersonal skills, Paul.

I'll grant you that much

of the described differences between components is hyperbole, but you
surely can't continue to pretend that all components sound the same
so long as they're level-matched, time-synched and bias-controlled.

I didn't say that. Let me know when you can come up with a more congent
interpretation of what I actually said.

You could do all that to these two components till the cows came home
and no way would they ever sound even vaguely similar.

Really?

How many level-matched, time-synched and bias-controlled listening tests
have you ever done. Paul?

One had a
bright balance ("ouch!"), one a dull balance ("hey, where's the
highs?"). Totally different under any and all circumstances. Follow?

Follow what that you've said that has any credibility? Oh, I get it. You
were trying to increase your credibility with me by calling me a robot to my
face. Interesting approach!

Joakim Wendel

wrote:

[...]

Go fight some country instead of infecting this newsgroup with hate ...
We all have different tastes not to mention focus in what we hear - So
there.
--
Joakim Wendel
Remove obvious mail JUNK block for mail reply.

My homepage : http://violinist.nu
Clyde Slick

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

****-for-Brains glumped:

Have you got nuts and bolts for ears, Arnie?

Just as surely as you have zero intrapersonal skills, Paul.

As usual, the Krooborg klumsily koins a phoney word to compensate for
its fractured "thought" processes. If "intrapersonal" were a word, what
would it mean? Here are some guesses:

(a) realistic vis-a-vis Arnii Kroofeces
(b) able to read and write at a seventh-grade level
(c) given to figures of speech and/or tropes in general
(d) smarter than your average 'borg
(e) capable of purchasing audio equipment without having a breakdown

Poor Krooger. The whole language thing is such a mystery to him.

(f) incessantly conversing with oneself.

"Powell" wrote in message ...
"N" wrote

There are usually a few Stax models on eBay.com,

Yes, I was just there looking myself. .

I used to have Stax electrets. Bought used, tried for awhile, then
never used that much because they needed to be powered by an
integrated amp or receiver, and mostly I used a Discman-type player
with headphones, so the Stax electrets didn't meet my needs. Can't
quite remember the model. The Stax electrostatics have their own amp,
but the price is high, even for used models, and I don't listen to
headphones much lately.

I've noticed that used Stax and other fancy headphones
are often in excellent condition.

Agreed. But there are several models and variations
in the Stax lineup, over the years, making it difficult
to know where each offering fits into the high end
scale, assuming there is an appreciable variation .

Given that Stax seems to have two basic designs, electret and
electrostatic, and electret is a type of electrostatic, I don't know
if there is an appreciable difference in sound. And no dealers near me
that now carry Stax, so the only way I could hear before I buy would
be to find a dealer and do some traveling.

And I'm not sure where to go, given that when I go to:

http://www.stax.co.jp/ENG/Overseas.h...r-Americ-40173

I get this message:

http://www.yamasinc.com/Stax_Dealers.htm

I could contact the above, and for all I know there many be many Stax
retailers in the US. I might even have local dealers that I've somehow
overlooked.

I'd love to try newer Stax models, but no dealers here
and the prices are awfully high too.

Agreed. But there are few dealers because of low
demand, not higher cost.

I see your point, but with no Stax models even in the local high-end
dealers that have customers who could afford Stax, there's no way for
there to be much demand. If there were Stax models there I could try
and they really sounded better than the better recent dynamic
headphones, then customers could want and buy Stax.

Dealers like high cost,
that's good for business (profit margin) .

Agree.

I'd like to see the dealers carry Stax and give consumers more of a
choice. Stax is by far the biggest name in electret and electrostatic
headphones ("earspeakers" in Stax-speak).

And the few retailers who do offer headphones that would appeal to
audiophiles carry few headphones and don't display them well, if at
all. For example, the one local retailer who carries Sennheiser models
that appeal to audiophiles keeps models like the HD600 in a drawer
that's in the showroom, but unmarked, and the dealer carries no other
brands. (I've only seen those Sennheisers there because the drawer
happened to be open once when I happened to be at the store.) A few
local high-end dealers carry a few Grados, and nothing else. The most
Stax headphones I've ever seen IRL are the occasional set in the
trade-in area of a local high-end dealer.

Maybe a few years ago, the Headroom folks were doing a traveling
headphone show. If I was going to get more interested in headphones
again, trying to catch that would probably be my best bet.

Speaking of headphones, here's an interesting-looking dealer for Stax
and others. I think this is a US companies that sells Japanese gear to
US consumers:

http://www.audiocubes.com/index.php?cPath=23_36

And here are some interesting-looking headphone amps, some I'd never
seen anywhere else, including a $1,349 Luxman:

http://www.audiocubes.com/index.php?...8 761d4977c5b

paul packer

wrote:

The NAD was very bright, the Harmon quite dull. Neither was
brilliant in any other regard, but on balance grounds alone both
would have to be carefully matched with other equipment. So no,
don't believe all CD players sound the same.

Well of course they don't sound the same to most people, because
almost nobody listens to them level-matched, time-synched and
bias-controlled.

Have you got nuts and bolts for ears, Arnie?

Just as surely as you have zero intrapersonal skills, Paul.

I'm worried about yours, Arnie. That was meant jocularly.

I'll grant you that much

of the described differences between components is hyperbole, but you
surely can't continue to pretend that all components sound the same
so long as they're level-matched, time-synched and bias-controlled.

I didn't say that. Let me know when you can come up with a more congent
interpretation of what I actually said.

Not always so easy, as G.M.Middius esquire has pointed out innumerable
times.

You could do all that to these two components till the cows came home
and no way would they ever sound even vaguely similar.

Really?

How many level-matched, time-synched and bias-controlled listening tests
have you ever done. Paul?

None. And the day I need them to confirm that one CD player is very
bright and one very dull will be the day I head off to the
audiologist.

One had a
bright balance ("ouch!"), one a dull balance ("hey, where's the
highs?"). Totally different under any and all circumstances. Follow?

Follow what that you've said that has any credibility? Oh, I get it. You
were trying to increase your credibility with me by calling me a robot to my
face. Interesting approach!

If my tone seemed condescending I apologise (I may have been reading
too many of the aforementioned G.M.Middius esquire posts. A bad habit
at any time). Now that the class has settled down and the water bombs
have all landed, how about you enlighten us all as to what in fact you
meant?

"Asterix" wrote in message news:yNUdd.16844$232.12687@trnddc09...
Well, for better or for worse, I took the plunge and ordered an Antique
Sound Labs MG HEAD DT/OTL MK III.

Cool! I wouldn't go this far, but it would be fun to have the above.
Even if you don't keep it for long.

I could use a second amp anywhere (for my
pc mainly) because of the electrical ground loop (or whatever) issues that I
get when I plug my Luxman into my PC.

Ground loop problems are usually solved easily and quickly via a
little trial and error. Google around and you'll find help.

Apparently some of the salespeople
seemed to think that this amp would make a 'night and day' difference of the
Luxman headphone out. I don't know of this is true, but I can return it if
I'm dissatisfied so not much to lose here.

Agree. When I had my old Luxman integrated amp, I thought the
headphone output sounded great, but the Luxman was awfully large to
keep around for headphone use. I kept it under my bed and used to
listen with it with headphones while lying in bed at night. Anyway, a
headphone amp will take up less space.

I am going to probably be getting
a cd player as well, (any suggestions for budget stuff?) Thanks.

I've never been real interested in pricey CD players. I have an old
Sony Discman and an old Pioneer Elite CD player (bought cheap in a
pawn shop) that work fine for me.