Chris Smalt

Default G5 vs PC - performance and price/performance

JR wrote:

I tend to be Mac biased because the music software
and plug in companies seem to do Mac first
and then MAYBE PC second...

I'm getting the impression that for VST plugins, this has been the other
way around for the past few years. Many plugs look like ports, and
don't seem to be very CPU-efficient on the Mac.

Chris (Mac biased)

______________________________________
Please remove the r from my address to reply by email

5dot1

I still can't tell whether any audio apps are known to run on Athalon 64 or
not, though.

SONAR 3 smokes on it. Stop by news:cakewalk.audio and ask around.

5

"Steve Jorgensen" wrote in message
My understanding is that for decent 64-bit chips like the Athalon 64 and G5
(not the Itanic), there is a benefit to the 64-bit data bus even running
32-bit apps since it nearly doubles the memory bandwidth. This being a
particular advantage for native A/V apps that must process streams of data,
usually in linear order through algorithms running in the CPU.

I still can't tell whether any audio apps are known to run on Athalon 64 or
not, though.

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:46:09 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Hewitt-Dutton"
wrote:

Correct, although Windows XP64 is near release. 64-bit PC's can run on Unix
(the OS that MacOSX is based on anyway), or Linux.

"Digidog27" wrote in message
So, the only thing left to be curious about is that I can't find

anything on
the Web or on the manufacturer sites on whether any music software

currently
supports (or works fine unsupported on) Athalon 64s or Opterons. Anyone

know?
BRBR

actually i just got the new macworld and the dual g5 barely holds its own

in
the usual photoshop tests against 5 other pc's(of various builds)

I'm a mac guy and i'm dual G5 shopping, but it was disappointing. The PC

that
beat the dual G5 did cost something like $4000 so you have to spend to

beat it.

I'm not actually sure that Panther is really even a 64 bit OS. I know none

of
the audio apps are yet.
I looked at the apple site, and i'd imagine that if Panther WAS true 64

bit to
address the 64 bit G5, we'd be hearing about it.
So i think we have a ways to go on the OS and THEN we can use 64 bit audio
apps.
As far as i know the first 64 bit PC cpu are out or about to be and don't

know
if there is an actual RELEASED version of 64 bit windows yet either.

Justin Ulysses Morse

Prodmac wrote:

To me its not a matter of performance anymore. I've been a loyal mac
user for 10 years then bought a big Dual Athlon MP2000 blah blah blah. I
chose the exact same computer as stated in the EQ magazine concording
with all the newsgroups advices etc...All this with a UAD-1 card with a
pair of amazing sounding Lynx Two cards.That move was a total failure
for me. I couldn't stand the unreliability of native daws. (I used
Nuendo) I am now back to Pro Tools HD with a G5 and couldn't be happier.
I know...way more money but clients don't like computers crashing in
front of their eyes. My 0.02$.
Krubb (UAD-1 and 2 LynxTwo A for sale)

Have you tried running the LynxTwo cards in the G5? If it worked, that
would be awesome. Wouldn't it?

ulysses
BananaHead

Steve Jorgensen wrote in message . ..

So, the only thing left to be curious about is that I can't find anything on
the Web or on the manufacturer sites on whether any music software currently
supports (or works fine unsupported on) Athalon 64s or Opterons. Anyone know?

I dunno. The guys on the Nuendo board are always talking about their
Athalon bla bla whatever machine. But I don't know the specifics.
You could log onto the board and post a quick question about it:

http://forum.nuendo.com/cgi-bin/nuendo.com/Ultimate.cgi

I'm a mac guy so all that Athalon hyperthreading something-or-other
don't compute.

-BH