Wing

Default Which one is the best Shunt Regulator design?

Which of the following is the best choice as far as shunt regulator goes?

1) http://home.t-online.de/home/MHuber/bjtreg.htm

2) http://www.euronet.nl/~aespreng/Shuntregv11d/Manual.pdf

3) Allen Wright's SuperReg (www.vacuumstate.com)

Thank you!
Tim Williams

"Wing" wrote in message
om...
Which of the following is the best choice as far as shunt regulator goes?

1) http://home.t-online.de/home/MHuber/bjtreg.htm

- Utter overkill, waste of parts

2) http://www.euronet.nl/~aespreng/Shuntregv11d/Manual.pdf

- Ditto

3) Allen Wright's SuperReg (www.vacuumstate.com)

- Can't find anything

First of all, what are you doing designing a circuit that's so damned
sensitive to PS noise that you need regulation in the first place? ;o)
Second, why not a pass instead? Third, why bother with the above designs
which feature (presumably) 100Mohm CCS feeding milivolt-capable shunt
references (all the while using 50 parts of course!)?

Tim

--
"I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+ Metalcasting

John Stewart

Wing wrote:

Which of the following is the best choice as far as shunt regulator goes?

1) http://home.t-online.de/home/MHuber/bjtreg.htm

2) http://www.euronet.nl/~aespreng/Shuntregv11d/Manual.pdf

3) Allen Wright's SuperReg (www.vacuumstate.com)

Thank you!

What is your application? JLS

Patrick Turner

Tim Williams wrote:

"Wing" wrote in message
om...
Which of the following is the best choice as far as shunt regulator goes?

1) http://home.t-online.de/home/MHuber/bjtreg.htm

- Utter overkill, waste of parts

2) http://www.euronet.nl/~aespreng/Shuntregv11d/Manual.pdf

- Ditto

3) Allen Wright's SuperReg (www.vacuumstate.com)

- Can't find anything

First of all, what are you doing designing a circuit that's so damned
sensitive to PS noise that you need regulation in the first place? ;o)
Second, why not a pass instead? Third, why bother with the above designs
which feature (presumably) 100Mohm CCS feeding milivolt-capable shunt
references (all the while using 50 parts of course!)?

Tim

In my latest preamp, I use 470uF, 5H, 470uF,
then about 2.2k and 100 uF, then 2.2k and 470 uF,
to an SE cascode MC amp, and its quite good enough.
to stop any rail variations to be heard, and the cro
shows the regulation to be quite sufficiently stiff enough
to prevent mains level undulations and any signal effects from
appearing at the output with all the gains turned up.
At least my method is simple and effective.
But its a bean counter's horror story, because I dared to
use all than inductance, resistance, and capacitance
to do what a regulator could do.
I ain't ashamed, I tried SS regulation, but after a couple of
devices failed, I secumbed to simpleness.

A string of zeners ain't bad for shunt reg, perhaps
with a HV power transistor to shunt major current,
with the zeners used to turn on the bjt's base,
this works ok, but all shunt regging wastes precious power,
and things get hot, and I don't like them much....

470 uF has 34 ohms of impedance at 10 Hz.
If the circuit attached has thousands of ohms impedance,
usually such a cap is a low enough impedance from
which the tube circuit can work.
In other words, if the load connected to the B+
at 470 uF is a 20k tube RL, with 10vrms volts at the tube,
then IRL is 0.5 mA, and the voltage at the 470 uF cap
at 10 Hz is 17 mV, and I leave you to work out
what IMD this causes to the average set up.
The situation is 10 times better at 100 Hz.

A tube preamp shouldn't be designed so critically
that a change of B+ rails of + or - 15% will make any difference to the
N&D of the amp, or to its voltage ability, of which we normally use
only a parsimonious portion.
This means that if the mains rises and falls +/-15%, all is ok.
I have never seen more than 30mV sudden change in mains levels, and hence in B+
levels,
because of the thousands of folks connected to the grid, and all of them
causing a cacophany of switching spikes, all of which
are smoothed out by inductance of cables, and the low impedance of the
grid, one reason being that at any one time there are so many
RLs connected in parallel to the grid supply.

If you can sit there turning the power on and off again once every
second, and see miniscule artifacts on the cro,
and hear nothing, then the preamp regulation is good enough.
An power amp also should pass this test,
and not blow up.

One mosfet amp I have runs on after being turned off for about
20 seconds, and the sound remains fine until the rails sag to quite a low
value.

Patrick Turner.