Davidlown

Default Denon 5900 Universal Player - I'm In Bliss

Before I give personal opinions let me give my system

Spendor 7/1 - I think these are awesome for their price. I have heard many
speakers more expensive and though maybe more detailed just do not give the
complete package as well. The biggest weakness in my opinion is the dynamics
but for a speaker that only has an 8 inch woofer and a tweeter what are you
really expecting? Plus the midrange vocals/horns are close to die for.

Krell Kav300i - Not the greatest in audiophile terms but was a huge step up of
my prior Conrad Johnson preamp Aragon 2004 mkii amplifier. More live, dynamic,
and smooth. Probably the biggest weak nesses is it lacks true high end detail
plus warmth, and though much more dynamic than my prior setup I'm sure you can
get much more dynamic amplifiers.

MIT interconnects and speaker cables - I dont know the series off my head but
their at least good enough to know their not my limiting factor.

Velodyne ULD-12 - This sub is very accurate. Its not super accurate but
compared to many subs I've heard it doesnt make me fel like the sound is
degraded at all.

PS Audio Audio Outles - Nice little power filter.

Sony 9aes 5 disc changer - I know, the weakest part of my system. The problem
is that I bought this top of the line Sony ES 5 disc player in 1997 and I have
refused to buy a new player until it was EXACTLY what I wanted. I read about
DVD-A in 1998 and SACD in 1999 and Universal players in 2000 but since the
first models have all been made cheaply the entire idea of Universal Players
was useless. Finally when the ~$2000 plyers that actually converted PCM for
DVD-A and DSD for SACD correctly came out I knew it was close in time to
purchase a player.I bought my boss the Marantz 8400 when i designed his system
(JM Lab Utopia Krell KAV 300i) and honestly it didnt do it for me.

3 months ago I started hearing about the new Denon DVD-5900. The positives were
simple. It was supposed to be finally made for audiophiles. 30 pounds, improved
analog sections and it played SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, and in normal redbook cd it
used its 24 bit upsampling tecjnology. The negatives were that its denon and
the the previous denon player was reviewed to have poor sound. So I decided to
purchase it in faith that if denon is truely making a player of this actual
size and included every audiophile format possible I had to have faith that
they actually designed this to compete with true high end sound. Plus I knew
that you can modify these machines (analog sections, jitter clocks, power
supplies) and that even if I was disappointed I could salvage the sound.

Anyway, now to my opinion. And let me give one more disclaimer. I know my CD
player previously just doesnt do any justice but I have heard many, many, many
systems and i know what good digital is. In fact most of the time I have been
disappointed in what I've heard because I would read about how great $5000 CD
players are and then when I would hear systems with these players some would
blow me away and some wouldnt.

So I bought the Denon 5900. It is a tank. HUGE!!!. So I burned it in a week and
hear are my opnions. The player is truely high end.
CD Playback - The CD playback blows my previous player away. Added about 1" on
each side of sound stage. The timing was more real. The sound more smooth, a
decent amount more detailed, but most of all the best aspects of my system
(beautiful mid range) got better.

SACD - This made my purchase worth it. It had everything that the cd player had
but it was even smoother, with at least the same detail. Most importantly
though it throws the sound at you more. What I mean is that like live sound
where the sound comes at you instead of you looking for the sound the SACD does
this. Now of course this was not live sound. My speakers just do not have the
dynamics to even try(who does?). Overall the SACD was awesome.

DVD-A - Also hugely impressive. I bought the DVD-A of Fleetwood Mac's dreams.
What an amazing upgrade!!!!! Flabbergasting.

I dont want to go until too much detail on SACD and DVD-a because I dont want
to give opinions that one is better than the other when I've hear limited discs
on either. Needless to say every one I bought is better in either most or all
aspects of my greatest sounding CD's.

So here were my $.02. Maybe I'll be the typical audiophile bonehead and get the
player modified so I know it does all it possible can do. Either way I'm
extremely happy.

Sincerely,

David

Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 15:38:01 GMT, (Davidlown) wrote:

CD Playback - The CD playback blows my previous player away. Added about 1" on
each side of sound stage.

Only an inch? ;-)

Kal

Universal Disc Player Peter General 2 May 21st 04 06:07 AM
Universal Disc Player Peter Audio Opinions 2 May 20th 04 05:59 PM
Opinion on universal player brunoman Audio Opinions 1 April 18th 04 08:15 PM
Denon Model DCD-1650AR CD Player Peter General 2 April 16th 04 10:54 AM
Denon Model DCD-1650AR CD Player Peter Audio Opinions 0 April 16th 04 05:28 AM