Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Best tubes for Jolida SJ-502

Somewhat it depends on which Jolida you have. There are amps made and assembled in China, and those final-assembled and tested in the US. The latter are the better ones. There are better amps at more dollars, and better amps at less dollars. But the latter will be legacy amps and require some skills and time you may not have or wish to invest.

As to tubes: The bottom line is which ones sound better to you. At this moment, apparently there are a lot of problems with recent-issue Tung-Sol tubes. There have always been problems with any-issue Chinese tube, but - apparently - that may be getting better.

Go to a legitimate, reputable tube dealer, explain your taste and let them help you through the process. Writing for myself, I have sufficient NOS-US/Euro stock to handle my needs into the foreseeable future so, I will not advise on present-manufacture tubes. But, I tested 15 Sovtek 6550s last night for a musician friend who needed two matched triplets from the bunch. They were _all_ reputed as 'new'. I keep a Hickok 539B, so I also could match plate and heater current as well as output. I used my 40-year old set of GE 6550s from my Scott LK150 as reference tubes. I was able to match two sets of three. One set tested at the minimum, one set tested *just* above the minimum. The GEs tested at about 25% over the minimum.

And this is why you go to a reputable dealer.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA