The Lizard

Default Multielement vs Component system

Johan Wagener wrote:
How big is the difference in sound quality if you compare using a 4 way
speaker vs a system with a crossover driving 2 tweeters 2 midrange and 2
woofers?

I don't think I understand your question. Are you asking a comparison
between quadraphonic vs stereophonic, or are you asking the difference
in quality between coaxial speaker with four drivers on one chassis
(like pioneers triaxial setups of old) and a system with componant drivers.

If it's the second, the only difference is in the quality of the
installation either way (most coaxials have built in crossovers).

It's a very broad question, and the only responses you'll get are
sweeping generalizations.

--
Lizard

teamROCS #007 / Technical Director / Founding Member *res derelicta*
http://www.teamrocs.com/
Save Farscape http://www.watchfarscape.com

Mark Zarella

If it's the second, the only difference is in the quality of the
installation either way (most coaxials have built in crossovers).

The crossovers are often (but certainly not always) inadequate.

-E-F-F-E-N-D-I-

it is a broad question but here is my 2 cents.

something thought about was the imaging of the speakers. a 4 way - (quadaxial?) would have different properties (imaging) than a component system with a woofer in the lower door panel and a tweeter on the a pillars. also, like that crusty ass lizard said, depends on the installation. a four way or three way can sound as good or better than component systems if installed right. its always about the install.... a component system is a better choice in my opinion. they offer more flexibility. but can be harder to tune. Better if done right. if you is comparing the sound quality, to make a purchase decision. i always say go with what sounds the best to you.