Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default HEY GUYS, WHAT'S NEW?

Hi all. I haven't been on this group for quite a while and I hope all the
old regulars are doing fine. I'd love to hear from some of you.

As far as changes in my system, I had a very unfortunate event happen four
months ago as my subwoofers and enclosure were stolen. They were a pair of
12" MTX MXS (identical to the 7500 series). It happened while I was at work
and it was really partly my fault as it was a hot day and I had left my
windows open a few inches to keep the car from getting too hot. Someone
just reached in and unlocked the car.

Fortunately, though, that's all they got as my amps are well secured to the
car but the sub enclosure really only had a couple of screws holding it in
place so it didn't move around, but I imagine they proably had no trouble
yanking it out. Again, you have to look at the bright side and the fact
they didn't get my Alpine 9855 HU or any of my four amps: a vintage Rockford
112.2 X 2 RMS to drive my front mids (a pair of Alpine 6.5" type R's), a
Phoenix Gold 50 watts X 2 RMS to drive my front tweets (a pair of Alpine
type R tweets), my 50 watt X 2 RMS Jensen amp to power my rear fill and
lastly my pride and joy....an Alpine MRV-850 Class D (800-1000 watts RMS) to
drive my subs.

I had just bought a new Sansa with a large memory capacity and my wife was
not real excited about the prospect of spending another $500 on a pair of
good subs. I had a spare dual 15" sealed subwoofer box (very large) just
laying around so I just decided to buy a pair of 15" subs. I bought a pair
of 15" Power Accoustic subs and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. Although I have
always used 5 farads of capacitence, my alternator on my '99 Forrester does
not put out a whole lot of extra current and NOBODY (believe me, I spent a
whole day once checking on this) makes a HO alternator for my car model.
These 15" subs are much more efficient than my old MTX 12"'s and now my bass
is startingly LOUDER!!! They are also pretty tight and can play lower than
my 12's as well.

In the past I have believed that low price subs will inevitably sound like
****. But although these were only $50 per sub they sound GREAT. It also
helps that I can low-pass them over quite low (60-70Hz) as my front midbass
drivers can pick-up the slack by pumping out the midbass 90Hz and above.
Those Alpine drivers are incredible but need LOTS of power to sound their
best.

Anyway, I have sort-of rediscovered the joys of THROBBING low bass as I can
crank these babies playing ANYTHING (like Bass Mekanik) and they don't seem
to even break a sweat (unlike my MTX subs that definately had their limits
at lower frequencies, i.e. below 35-40Hz).

But besides new subs, my system remains pretty much the same and sounds
perfect, IMHO.

Anyway, that's what's been going on with my car. Of course, like many of
you, I only use portable MP3 players anymore in my car. Discs have always
sucked (they skip, get damaged, ect.) and I love these new high capacity
flash drive players.

Take care,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

My trucks HU broke. I sold my Datsun, now I'm left with a stock Cavilier.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB[_2_] ChrisB[_2_] is offline

MOSFET wrote:
SUPERSNIP
But besides new subs, my system remains pretty much the same and sounds
perfect, IMHO.

Anyway, that's what's been going on with my car. Of course, like many of
you, I only use portable MP3 players anymore in my car. Discs have always
sucked (they skip, get damaged, ect.) and I love these new high capacity
flash drive players.

Take care,

MOSFET

Wow, haven't seen your name on here in a while, even though I nymshifted
throughout the years.

I am with you on using portable MP3 players. My IPOD combined with
encoding my CDs in Apple Lossless Format really kicks ass for bringing a
bunch of quality tunes wherever I go.

As for me, I have been going hog wild with setups since July.

Started out with a 12" Solo-baric L5, hated it;
Next was a pair of JL Audio 10w3v2s and I hated them;
Finally I settled on a JL Audio Stealthbox for my Mustang

With my Civic, I did a budget system and recycled what I didn't like in
the Mustang. Finally, I ended up with a Linear Power 1502IQ for my
front stage that consists of a Type R 6.5" woofer with a CDT TW-25
tweeter. For my sub stage I ended up installing a dd1010a in a 1.0
cubic foot ported enclosure tuned to 35 Hz and it is powered by a
Rockford Fosgate 25 to Life Punch 150 that puts out more than 1,000
watts bridged to a 4 ohm final load!

I have three Digital Designs 1508s and I need to get off my bum and make
a couple of enclosures for them so I can put them to use. The thought
of using an 8" subwoofer that takes 500 watts RMS is really mind blowing...

Other than that, nothing new with me.

-ChrisB
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Greg that sucks. You gotta get back into the game, man.

I just turned 42 and I have a theory (I'm sure I'm the only one who believes
this) that loud bass and a powerfull system keeps you young!!!

OK, it's only a theory.

MOSFET

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Alright, another Alpine type R user. Aren't those incredible speakers?

I thought JL 6.5" speakers were the **** until I heard Alpine's type R's
(and to think, 10-20 years ago I used to tell people to never buy Japaneese
speakers, that they always sucked, ch-ch-ch-changes). How Alpine can get
THAT MUCH BASS out of 6.5" speakers, I don't know (but like I said before,
they want LOTS of power, like at least 100 watts RMS, 150 watts RMS if you
can swing it, much more than ANY other high-end midbass speaker I have used
like JL, MB Quart, Boston Accoustics Pro, ect.)!!! And keep in mind, I'm
just talking about power to the 6.5" midbass Type R driver.

MOSFET

Let me put it this way: while my subs were stolen and I had not yet replaced
them, nobody could really tell that anything was missing because the Type
R's could put out so much bass. People thought I still had subs. Now that
says something!!!!

MOSFET
"ChrisB" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
SUPERSNIP But besides new subs, my system remains pretty much the same
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB[_2_] ChrisB[_2_] is offline

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Yep, those Type Rs are pretty amazing, especially running off of an old
school Linear Power 1502IQ. Since TIPS is still around to service them,
I have been scouring the web looking for Linear Power! Working, not
working, I don't care!

A buddy of mine has a pair of Type Rs in his Civic too, but he is
running the Alpine PDX full range Class D amp to his... I find they
lack midbass output, even though he is technically running more power to
them...

I wonder if the Type Rs are made for Alpine by the same speaker designer
who makes their Type X components (i.e. Tymphany?)

-ChrisB
Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandon Buckner Brandon Buckner is offline

Hi MOSFET. I still read from time to time but can't remember the last
time I posted. I moved about a year and a half ago and my box with my 2
Diamond Audio 12D2 TDX subs had to vacate the cargo area for a while and
go buried into storage. Well, I went to get em and I found them face
down against the floor. The surrounds were mashed and cracked all along
the center around the entire perimeter of the subs. So basically, some
great $400 (each) subs down the tube. Diamond said they were out of
warranty and refused to sell me or ship me some new surrounds to put on
myself. The house and motorcycle and girlfriend pretty much take care
of my paycheck.

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I'm sorry for your damaged subs. I was absolutely sick when my MTX 7500
12's were stollen. Although I try to always look at the bright side (they
didn't get any of my four amps including my expensive new Class D 800 watt
Alpine amp and my new HU, an Alpine 9885), it was depressing just the same
as those two subs represented the single most expensive element of my
system.

Anyway, sorry for your loss. Like anything else, I'm sure you will
eventually replace them.

MOSFET

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

Suggestion: contact , you may find he is able to
repair those subs or supply the surrounds.

John

MOSFET wrote:

[...]

** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

Thanks guys Robert via CarKB.com Car Audio 0 January 30th 06 04:09 AM
thanks guys... Tubetwang Vacuum Tubes 4 January 1st 05 04:51 AM
hey 845 guys, try this Adam Stouffer Vacuum Tubes 0 August 8th 04 02:02 AM
Please guys! Sander deWaal Audio Opinions 19 August 7th 04 05:39 PM
You guys SSadler Pro Audio 0 July 14th 04 01:01 AM