timzter

Default What volume level to set to??

I captured some recordings on old cassette tapes as wav files and then
converted them to MP3, but the songs sounded too soft, so that I had to
crank up the volume. What volume level (decibels??) should I set it to
while I am capturing the audio such that the volume matches the volume of
music found on commercial CDs? Is there a website out there that outlines
rules-of-thumb for recording audio, do's and dont's, etc.?

Arny Krueger

"timzter" wrote in message

I captured some recordings on old cassette tapes as wav files and then
converted them to MP3, but the songs sounded too soft, so that I had
to crank up the volume. What volume level (decibels??) should I set
it to while I am capturing the audio such that the volume matches the
volume of music found on commercial CDs? Is there a website out
there that outlines rules-of-thumb for recording audio, do's and
dont's, etc.?

Most people capture with an audio editor like Goldwave, Audacity, Sound
Forge, or Audition/Cool Edit. They can ten easily add gain in the digital
domain to bring the levels up to just below digital full scale.

timzter

I am using one of these software as well, but my question is what level
should I bring the volume/gain (?) up to such that it is as loud as what you
normally hear on regular CDs? When I record the songs from my tape player
onto my computer, I am turning up both the playback volume and the recording
volume so that -I- can satisfactorily hear what is being recorded, but it is
simply adjusted for ME to hear it. What I want is the sound engineer's
answer to how much gain I should turn it up to so that it is as loud as
regular CDs that one buys from the store.

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"timzter" wrote in message

I captured some recordings on old cassette tapes as wav files and then
converted them to MP3, but the songs sounded too soft, so that I had
to crank up the volume. What volume level (decibels??) should I set
it to while I am capturing the audio such that the volume matches the
volume of music found on commercial CDs? Is there a website out
there that outlines rules-of-thumb for recording audio, do's and
dont's, etc.?

Most people capture with an audio editor like Goldwave, Audacity, Sound
Forge, or Audition/Cool Edit. They can ten easily add gain in the digital
domain to bring the levels up to just below digital full scale.

Arny Krueger

"timzter" wrote in message

I am using one of these software as well, but my question is what
level should I bring the volume/gain (?) up to such that it is as
loud as what you normally hear on regular CDs? When I record the
songs from my tape player onto my computer, I am turning up both the
playback volume and the recording volume so that -I- can
satisfactorily hear what is being recorded, but it is simply adjusted
for ME to hear it. What I want is the sound engineer's answer to how
much gain I should turn it up to so that it is as loud as regular CDs
that one buys from the store.

A sound engineer's answer is that what you do is leave headroom when you
first transcribe the music digitally, and then make up the difference in the
digital domain when you prepare your transcription for distribution and use.

How much headroom to allow when transcribing depends on how much you know
about the music beforehand. For example, when transcribing vinyl, I set peak
levels of about -3 dB with a trackability test record. I'm pretty darn sure
that no standard LP is going to go much higher! Even if it does, my
cartridge will mistrack before I get digital clipping.

When transcribing a tape, it doesn't take too many tapes before you get an
idea of how high the levels are ever going to go at the output of the
player. Add 3 dB, and go with that. Until then, you might want to leave at
least 10 dB worth of headroom over the loudest passage you find when looking
for loud passages to use to set levels.

When transcribing live performances, you want to have at least 10 dB of
headroom over the loudest levels you saw in rehearsal, because there's
nothing like an audience to gear up the performers.

Never ever try to record within a dB or two of peak levels. You can always
make it up in the digital domain, after you've obtained a clean recording.
More recordings have been ruined by clipping than excess noise. Between
those extremes, levels are negotiable after the fact.

When you are making a compendium of recorded tracks, you may set levels
lower than usual on some tracks in order to meet artistic goals. For
example, some music is best enjoyed at lower levels, and some sounds better
loud.

Mark D. Zacharias

Programs such as Cool Edit have a Normalize function. It looks at the entire
peak waveform and adjusts so the loudest peak is at 0 dB (or with CE, at a
level you choose.)
Using CE, I use 96% since I have seen a few DAC's clip using a full 100%
level.

Mark Z.

m...