timzter

Default What volume level to set recording to?

I captured some recording on an old cassette tape as a .WAV file and then
converted it to an .MP3 file, but the playback volume was too low. What
volume level should I set the recording level at such that the playback
volume is "normal" like all the audio CDs in the market?

Richard Kuschel

I captured some recording on an old cassette tape as a .WAV file and then
converted it to an .MP3 file, but the playback volume was too low. What
volume level should I set the recording level at such that the playback
volume is "normal" like all the audio CDs in the market?

It isn't really that important for it to be all that loud, but you can get an
editing program for the .wav files and use compression and limiting to bring up
the average recorded level.

Richard H. Kuschel

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:59:52 GMT, "timzter"
wrote:

I captured some recording on an old cassette tape as a .WAV file and then
converted it to an .MP3 file, but the playback volume was too low. What
volume level should I set the recording level at such that the playback
volume is "normal" like all the audio CDs in the market?

Many "normal" CDs are heavily compressed. Despite your recording
peaking near full-scale, it won't sound as loud as a compressed
recording.

This is not necessarily a bad thing ;-)

David White

wrote:

I captured some recording on an old cassette tape as a .WAV file and then
converted it to an .MP3 file, but the playback volume was too low. What
volume level should I set the recording level at such that the playback
volume is "normal" like all the audio CDs in the market?

Many "normal" CDs are heavily compressed. Despite your recording
peaking near full-scale, it won't sound as loud as a compressed
recording.

This is not necessarily a bad thing ;-)

What's with the compression fans in this thread? Dynamic range compression
is one of life's worst annoyances. There ought to be laws against it. The
arts cable TV channel Ovation, which broadcasts classical music heavily
compressed, totally ruins the music by bringing the quiet parts right up and
squashing down on the loud parts. The soft/loud contrast is fundamental to a
lot of music. The harpsichord died out because it couldn't play soft and
loud, and was replaced by the piano, which can. People these days are buying
expensive hi-fi and home theatre equipment to enjoy high quality music, but
broadcasters are transmitting junk.

David

Arny Krueger

"David White" wrote in message

"Laurence Payne" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

You never ever wanted to enjoy some familiar tunes in an environment where
wide dynamics are either unlistenable or forbidden, I take it.

The problem with compression is that it's currently part of recordings. It
should be part of the replay part of the reproduction chain. If you need
compression, then you turn it on, and if you don't need it, then you don't
turn it on.

David White

"timzter" wrote in message
I captured some recording on an old cassette tape as a .WAV file and then
converted it to an .MP3 file, but the playback volume was too low. What
volume level should I set the recording level at such that the playback
volume is "normal" like all the audio CDs in the market?

In Goldwave, for example, before conversion to MP3 you can scan the maximum
volume and then adjust it to, say, -0.5 or -1 dB. If you weren't converting
to MP3 I'd suggested adjusting it to 0 dB (i.e., maximum), but I've found
that MP3 compression can produce higher peaks than what you started with, so
I leave some margin to allow for that.

David

David White

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"David White" wrote in message

What's with the compression fans in this thread? Dynamic range
compression is one of life's worst annoyances. There ought to be laws
against it. The arts cable TV channel Ovation, which broadcasts
classical music heavily compressed, totally ruins the music by
bringing the quiet parts right up and squashing down on the loud
parts. The soft/loud contrast is fundamental to a lot of music. The
harpsichord died out because it couldn't play soft and loud, and was
replaced by the piano, which can. People these days are buying
expensive hi-fi and home theatre equipment to enjoy high quality
music, but broadcasters are transmitting junk.

You never ever wanted to enjoy some familiar tunes in an environment where
wide dynamics are either unlistenable or forbidden, I take it.

Okay, that was a little over the top, but I wouldn't transmit it compressed
into people's homes if they might have spent thousands on audio equipment to
listen to it. And I wouldn't burn a compressed version permanently onto a
CD. I would still say to the OP: Forget compression. It's bad news.

The problem with compression is that it's currently part of recordings. It
should be part of the replay part of the reproduction chain. If you need
compression, then you turn it on, and if you don't need it, then you don't
turn it on.

Exactly.

DW

Arny Krueger

"timzter" wrote in message
I captured some recording on an old cassette tape as a .WAV file and
then converted it to an .MP3 file, but the playback volume was too
low. What volume level should I set the recording level at such
that the playback volume is "normal" like all the audio CDs in the
market?

In Goldwave, for example, before conversion to MP3 you can scan the
maximum volume and then adjust it to, say, -0.5 or -1 dB. If you
weren't converting to MP3 I'd suggested adjusting it to 0 dB (i.e.,
maximum), but I've found that MP3 compression can produce higher
peaks than what you started with, so I leave some margin to allow for
that.

Some CD players and sound cards get a little iffy over the last 0.5 dB of
dynamic range just below FS. I recommend leaving 0.5 to 1 dB of headroom,
and overdithering as well since other CD players and sound cards are bit
nonlinear at low levels.

If you don't do a really sensitive ABX-type DBT, 1 dB is roughly a just
noticeable difference, so you lose very little by leaving this kind of
headroom. Of course tiny amounts of headroom like this are only feasible
when you already know everything there is to know about the music you are
recording because the recording is a finished product.