Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Radio Shack Mic

They have a $10 dynamic omni. What's going to suck about it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Tobiah wrote:
They have a $10 dynamic omni. What's going to suck about it?

Something useful, probably. If it's typical of the usual dictation machine
dynamic omni, the most interesting thing about it will be the breakup modes
of the diaphragm which make for weird narrow resonances that change with
direction. Stick it on a guitar cabinet, turn it around, move it forward
and back, toward the center of the cone and away from the center of the cone,
and I bet you find it's useful for something.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

On 06/07/2013 01:37 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Tobiah wrote:
They have a $10 dynamic omni. What's going to suck about it?

Something useful, probably. If it's typical of the usual dictation machine
dynamic omni, the most interesting thing about it will be the breakup modes
of the diaphragm which make for weird narrow resonances that change with
direction. Stick it on a guitar cabinet, turn it around, move it forward
and back, toward the center of the cone and away from the center of the cone,
and I bet you find it's useful for something.
--scott

I was looking at a Rode NT2-A that I can probably get for
about $200. I want an omni to compliment a pair of NT1-A's
that I use for micing a classical guitar
to see if it can add something different to the sound.
I just wondered if I'd be totally wasting my time, and $10
to try the RS mic. If I didn't think that the omni
added anything good to my sound, I'd save the $200, but
if the RS mic is going to be entirely unrepresentative of
what a good omni could add, then I wouldn't want to miss out
on the better mic.

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On 06/07/2013 01:37 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
I was looking at a Rode NT2-A that I can probably get for
about $200. I want an omni to compliment a pair of NT1-A's
that I use for micing a classical guitar
to see if it can add something different to the sound.

The NT2-A is a dual-diaphragm mike... the omni pattern on it is not really
very omnidirectional at all, which is an unfortunate side-effect of that
sort of design.

I just wondered if I'd be totally wasting my time, and $10
to try the RS mic. If I didn't think that the omni
added anything good to my sound, I'd save the $200, but
if the RS mic is going to be entirely unrepresentative of
what a good omni could add, then I wouldn't want to miss out
on the better mic.

The RS mike won't sound anything like what a good omni will, but you might
want to try the Behringer ECM-8000, which can be had for $20 or so and
really will give you a sense of what a good omni pattern will bring you.
It's a lot easier to make a good omni condenser than a good cardioid.

But... the RS mike will be an interesting and useful low-fi thing to have
around... it will have all kinds of weird midrange peaks and make room
sounds very hollow. Surprisingly useful on guitar amps, or as a third
overhead mike on a drum kit that you can bring in to make the midrange
grubbier. Everyone should have a $5 dictation mike in the kit somewhere.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
HIO HIO is offline

On 6/7/2013 6:20 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

The RS mike won't sound anything like what a good omni will, but you might
want to try the Behringer ECM-8000, which can be had for $20 or so and
really will give you a sense of what a good omni pattern will bring you.
It's a lot easier to make a good omni condenser than a good cardioid.

The Behringer ECM-8000 can be had for around $60.00 not $20.00.

--
Here In Oregon

Twitter: I don't tweet, I leave that to the birds.
MySpace: Then put a lock on it.
Facebook: Ever hear of the term identity theft?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tobiah wrote:
They have a $10 dynamic omni. What's going to suck about it?

Anything broadband. I'd try it on harmonica first.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 6/7/2013 7:00 PM, HIO wrote:
On 6/7/2013 6:20 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

The RS mike won't sound anything like what a good omni will, but you
might
want to try the Behringer ECM-8000, which can be had for $20 or so and
really will give you a sense of what a good omni pattern will bring you.
It's a lot easier to make a good omni condenser than a good cardioid.

The Behringer ECM-8000 can be had for around $60.00 not $20.00.

Still damn cheap.

Looks like many people use it with Smaart software
to tune their rooms.

Is this mic mainly meant to be used as a measurement mic,
or does it do well recording certain instruments as well?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Paul" wrote in message
On 6/7/2013 7:00 PM, HIO wrote:
On 6/7/2013 6:20 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

The RS mike won't sound anything like what a good omni will, but you
might
want to try the Behringer ECM-8000, which can be had for $20 or so and
really will give you a sense of what a good omni pattern will bring you.
It's a lot easier to make a good omni condenser than a good cardioid.

The Behringer ECM-8000 can be had for around $60.00 not $20.00.

Still damn cheap.

Looks like many people use it with Smaart software
to tune their rooms.

Is this mic mainly meant to be used as a measurement mic,
or does it do well recording certain instruments as well?

It will give a fairly honest reproduction of what was going on in the room,
so if it's a nice piano in a nice sounding room then you can get a
surprisingly good recording. The noise floor does make the room sound
'grainy' to my ears, for lack of a better description.

I've recorded many practices with just a single ECM8000 stuck in the middle
of room, simply because it's quick and predictable to set up. Not great but
plenty good enough to hear what went right or wrong later.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , HIO wrote:
On 6/7/2013 6:20 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

The RS mike won't sound anything like what a good omni will, but you might
want to try the Behringer ECM-8000, which can be had for $20 or so and
really will give you a sense of what a good omni pattern will bring you.
It's a lot easier to make a good omni condenser than a good cardioid.

The Behringer ECM-8000 can be had for around $60.00 not $20.00.

Keep looking. The same mike is also sold under different names; Parts
Express oftenm stocks it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Paul wrote:
Still damn cheap.

Looks like many people use it with Smaart software
to tune their rooms.

It (The ECM-8000) is accurate enough for rough room tuning work. If you do
narrow sweep measurements, you'll see spikes all over the place and you will
have to move the mike and see if the spike moves or not to determine if it's
a mike or a room issue. But for rough work where you're mostly looking at the
low end modes of the room, it's usable.

Is this mic mainly meant to be used as a measurement mic,
or does it do well recording certain instruments as well?

It's made and sold as a measurement mike, but it's really just a generic
omni electret capsule in a tube. It's about the most neutral thing you will
find in the price range, but it's also pretty noisy and no two seem to have
the same noise spectra. The noise isn't a problem for room tuning where you
are measuring loud things in the first place, and it's not a problem for
rock drum overheads. I wouldn't try to record a clavichord with it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
HIO HIO is offline

On 6/7/2013 8:52 PM, Paul wrote:
On 6/7/2013 7:00 PM, HIO wrote:
On 6/7/2013 6:20 PM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

The RS mike won't sound anything like what a good omni will, but you
might
want to try the Behringer ECM-8000, which can be had for $20 or so and
really will give you a sense of what a good omni pattern will bring you.
It's a lot easier to make a good omni condenser than a good cardioid.

The Behringer ECM-8000 can be had for around $60.00 not $20.00.

Still damn cheap.

Looks like many people use it with Smaart software
to tune their rooms.

Is this mic mainly meant to be used as a measurement mic,
or does it do well recording certain instruments as well?

It works well with this thing.

http://tinyurl.com/me34ey6

The engineer I flew in said there are better tools than this but for the
*price* it works well and if it breaks you can just go buy another one.

--
Here In Oregon

Twitter: I don't tweet, I leave that to the birds.
MySpace: Then put a lock on it.
Facebook: Ever hear of the term identity theft?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] mikbob@hotmail.com is offline

On Friday, June 7, 2013 3:37:39 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , Tobiah wrote:

They have a $10 dynamic omni. What's going to suck about it?

Something useful, probably. If it's typical of the usual dictation machine

dynamic omni, the most interesting thing about it will be the breakup modes

of the diaphragm which make for weird narrow resonances that change with

direction. Stick it on a guitar cabinet, turn it around, move it forward

and back, toward the center of the cone and away from the center of the cone,

and I bet you find it's useful for something.

Excellent advice! I still have an old cheap Sony mic...likely made for recording into a cassette deck, back in the day.

While playing around and experimenting one day, I stuck it right against the grill cloth on a little 80's Fender solid state amp and got an absolutely *huge* guitar sound!!

No one would believe it, when I told them how I did it....(ha ha)

Mike
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Perrett James Perrett is offline

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 18:59:32 +0100, wrote:

Excellent advice! I still have an old cheap Sony mic...likely made for
recording into a cassette deck, back in the day.

While playing around and experimenting one day, I stuck it right against
the grill cloth on a little 80's Fender solid state amp and got an
absolutely *huge* guitar sound!!

My favourite guitar cab mic wasn't sold as a mic at all!

If you want a useful budget dynamic mic then see if you can find a Yoga
D606.

James.

--
http://www.jrpmusic.net

Radio Shack robert casey Vacuum Tubes 1 October 29th 07 10:51 PM
FA: Old Lafayette Radio, Heathkit & Radio Shack Catalogs [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 27th 05 04:05 PM
radio shack mic mods. alan Pro Audio 46 December 5th 04 08:58 PM
radio shack mic mods. alan Pro Audio 0 November 21st 04 01:55 AM
Radio Shack goes Audiophool ScottW Audio Opinions 1 February 21st 04 03:02 AM