Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default An almost free, and appreciable, upgrade in sound for your EMU

This is not to say that the technical explanation for the change would
not be interesting to see. I would be very interested. I just don't
have that kind of time. I'd much rather spend it enjoying the music.

Besides, I completely destroyed the original power supply

CD

if you could describe the circuitry of the "bad" power supply, I would be
most intrested - your description of the power output is provacative, but
not definitive - sometimes someting as simple as adding another filter
capacitor will do the trick - remember to parallel a high value electrolytic
with a 1 uf or lower mylar, and then ideally a 1000pf ceramic or mica - the
impedance of the caps can in some circuits affect sound

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Nov 13, 9:21*am, "Bill Noble" wrote:
This is not to say that the technical explanation for the change would
not be interesting to see. I would be very interested. I just don't
have that kind of time. I'd much rather spend it enjoying the music.

Besides, I completely destroyed the original power supply

CD

if you could describe the circuitry of the "bad" power supply, I would be
most intrested - your description of the power output is provacative, but
not definitive - sometimes someting as simple as adding another filter
capacitor will do the trick - remember to parallel a high value electrolytic
with a 1 uf or lower mylar, and then ideally a 1000pf ceramic or mica - the
impedance of the caps can in some circuits affect sound

I agree with you in that adding a capactor in the right place may make
all the difference. The problem is that the power supply in this case
is so small that the effort in modifying the circuit would be
significant. It is much much easier to substitute a better power
supply.

CD