Bill & Debbie

Default Help! Yamaha RX-V690 problem.

I apologize if this isn't the correct forum.

I have had this unit for about 5 years and it has worked great. Yesterday,
we had a thunder storm. The unit was not powered up during the storm. The
house was hit by lightening. Loss printer, all land phones, GFI, garage
door opener and my Yahama stereo receiver. So, I cannot listen to music
while I cry in my beer.

The receiver was plugged into a surge protector along with several other
pieces of stereo equipment. They appear not to have been effected by the
storm. The Yahama receiver will not power up. When the power on button is
pressed, nothing happens and there is not a sound made. I removed the cover
and found three fuses that are all OK. I also checked the switch and it
appears to work. However, it seems that no power is getting to the large
power transformer.

If anyone has any ideas of something that might be easy to fix that is
causing this problem, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bill

Mark D. Zacharias

Bill & Debbie wrote:
[...]

The first thing to go in this scenario is the standby transformer.
Unfortunately, the second thing is often the main microprocessor.

A knowledgeable tech type could sub in a DC voltage at the standby voltage
regulator, long enough to see if the micro is responsive. That would at
least give a clue whether a repair is feasible, because if the micro is bad,
often other audio switch IC's, electronic volume control IC's, etc are bad
as well.

Mark Z.

Trevor Wilson

"Bill & Debbie" wrote in message
I apologize if this isn't the correct forum.

I have had this unit for about 5 years and it has worked great.
Yesterday, we had a thunder storm. The unit was not powered up during the
storm. The house was hit by lightening. Loss printer, all land phones,
GFI, garage door opener and my Yahama stereo receiver. So, I cannot
listen to music while I cry in my beer.

The receiver was plugged into a surge protector along with several other
pieces of stereo equipment. They appear not to have been effected by the
storm.

**Of course. Why people imagine that surge protectors can actually do
anything useful is a constant source of mystery to me.

The Yahama receiver will not power up. When the power on button is
pressed, nothing happens and there is not a sound made. I removed the
cover and found three fuses that are all OK. I also checked the switch
and it appears to work. However, it seems that no power is getting to the
large power transformer.

If anyone has any ideas of something that might be easy to fix that is
causing this problem, it will be greatly appreciated.

**There is no such thing as "an easy fix", in this age of microprocessor
operated devices. Take it to an expert.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Yamaha DVD S-2500 problem pcar High End Audio 4 June 28th 05 04:14 AM
Yamaha R-900 Receiver Schematic Needed-Relay Problem [email protected] Tech 3 January 7th 05 01:54 AM
CLC: More John Stewart Vacuum Tubes 12 November 2nd 04 09:47 AM
Yamaha HTR-5460 problem Richter Pro Audio 0 July 28th 03 09:11 AM