Bob Saccamano

Default Bi-wiring - Hogwash?

I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

Nousaine

The thread heading says it all (just remove the ?)
Nousaine

The thread heading says it all (just remove the ?)
Nousaine

The thread heading says it all (just remove the ?)
Nousaine

The thread heading says it all (just remove the ?)
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"Bob Saccamano" wrote:

I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

No. The really dumb thing is that there's still a crossover inside.

Separating the drives for each speaker is only interesting when you have
multiple amps and electronic crossovers. You can fine tune the
crossover, isolate clipping, and use amplifiers with different powers
and qualities. This is why subs are often driven from a separate
Class-D amp.

Matthew Leonhardt

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"Bob Saccamano" wrote:

I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only

have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

No. The really dumb thing is that there's still a crossover inside.

Separating the drives for each speaker is only interesting when you have
multiple amps and electronic crossovers. You can fine tune the
crossover, isolate clipping, and use amplifiers with different powers
and qualities. This is why subs are often driven from a separate
Class-D amp.

It actually really depends on a lot of factors...it's possible that instead
of using a crossover, each speaker has it's own high-pass and low-pass
filter respectively. That would seem to make more sense because that allows
for bi-amping without an active crossover at some point in the signal path.
What it really comes down to is the wiring inside the speaker cabinets.
Your best bet is to calculate the load that your amp will see in both
situations. If your amp sees a lower impedence with the bi-wiring (a likely
possibility since you are forcing parallel wiring on the drivers), your
amplifier will have to do less work to produce more sound. You will also
want to check the specs on your amp though to make sure it is designed to
handle the lower impedence.

Matt Leonhardt

Karl Uppiano

"Bob Saccamano" wrote:

[...]

I can't really agree with the statement that "the amplifier will have to do
less work to produce more sound". Amplifiers are a constant-voltage source,
so the amplifier will produce whatever current is required to achieve the
necessary output voltage at any given instant. The only possible advantage I
can see with bi-wiring is if one of the drivers (the woofer most likely)
draws so much current that the voltage drop in the speaker wire would
otherwise affect the voltage going to the other drivers. Bi-wiring would
then provide a dedicated run for each driver to the constant voltage source
(the amplifier). However, unless you were using severely under-rated speaker
wire, I would expect this effect to be miniscule compared to all the other
effects that adversely affect the sound (the speakers themselves, the room,
source material, etc.).

Matthew Leonhardt

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message

[snip]

[...]

An amplifier is capable of delivering higher wattage into lower impedances,
hence more loudness.

Bi-wiring wouldn't help the voltage drop problem, since the parallel
connection at the amp terminals will make the channel share the load evenly.

Matt Leonhardt

Karl Uppiano

[...]

Come to think of it, the only possibility for interaction between drivers
would be in the crossover transition bands.

Stewart Pinkerton

"Bob Saccamano" wrote:

I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only

have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

No. The really dumb thing is that there's still a crossover inside.

And you won't achieve any improvement by using two amps either.....

[...]

The above is mostly garbage. Speakers designed for biwiring normally
do have separated ground returns on the crossover, which is the same
as saying that they have separate low-pass and high-pass filters. It's
still a crossover. However, because it *is* a crossover, there is *no*
parallel operation, hence the overall impedance is *identical* to a
single-wired configuration. Let me repeat that - biamping as described
above is *not* parallel operation, the impedance is *not* lowered.

As someone else noted - remove the ? in the thread title for accuracy.

unitron

"Bob Saccamano" wrote in message ...
I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

If you run bi-wiring in your situation you will be bypassing the
crossover circuitry in your speaker cabinet, thus asking the
individual drivers (woofer and tweeter) to try to reproduce
frequencies for which they were not designed. Even if this causes no
physical damage it can only make the sound worse, otherwise the
speaker manufacturer wouldn't have gone to the extra expense of
including a crossover in the first place. Bi-amping assumes that
you'll be using an "active" crossover to divide up the signal into low
and high frequencies ahead of amplification and then giving each
frequency band its own amp and driver. It also assumes that you
already have the knowledge and experience to select and setup the
proper equipment necessary to do so. You aren't there yet or you'd
already know the answer to your question, which, of course, already
knowing the answer to, you wouldn't have asked in the first place :-)
Of course if you're planning on running these speakers in a large room
(auditorium, sanctuary, nightclub, etc. AND you have more money to
throw at the problem, you might want to consider going with an active
crossover and another (stereo) amp, but consult a good sound
contractor before you rush out and spend.

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:17:58 +1100, "Bob Saccamano"
wrote:

I have a pair of speakers that support bi-wiring and bi-amping. I only have
one aplifier. Will I appreciate any improvements in sound by bi-wiring
alone?

You might. If the wire was expensive enough. But you'd be kidding
yourself.