Default Help me, this sucks...

I'm re-posting this 2 years old problem, because it's still there and I
have run out of solutions... Please help!

I've just assembled a new computer system dedicated only to audio use.
Yesterday I bought Terratec DMX 6 Fire sound card and was very pleased
with the results. Good sound quality (for the price) and surprisingly
low latency (2ms without any clicks and pops!).
However, it turned out to be more than that (as usually). Lately, the
system has been crashing several times with full reboot of system! I
noticed that every time it crashed, I was working with LiveSynth Pro
DXi in Sonar, for example arming a track with output selected to
LiveSynth. I tried to increase the DMA Buffer size, but it still
crashed maybe 1 or 2 times. I was recording at 24-bit / 44,100.

Any advice?
Could it be a faulty memory module or some other hw-related problem?

~BB~

Sonar 2.0 XL / 3 / 4
WinXP Pro
LiveSynth 1.04

Asus A7M266 mobo (audio jumper-disabled)
512 MB Kingston 266 RAM
Seagate Barracuda V 80GB
Matrox G450 32MB
Q-Tec 400W PSU
Edimax network card
Terratec DMX 6 Fire 24/96

I'd really appreciate some help. I've spent too much time messing up
with the computer. I'd like to be finally able to concentrate in
making music...

SuNRiSeS

ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
However, it turned out to be more than that (as usually). Lately, the
system has been crashing several times with full reboot of system!

Software is original?

Brandon Anderson

It COULD be a memory issue, but since Windows manages mememory, it
would come up in any program that happens to use that space, so I
doubt it.
It COULD be a hardware issue, but that's hightly unusual.
More likely it is a driver issue. Try to uninstall the sound card's
drivers and install the newest non-beta release. If that doesn't
help, try to uninstall and reinstall the software you are using. There
could just be a compatability issue between that software and
hardware, but these are usually resolved via driver updates. Contact
the software and hardware manufacturer if these steps don't resolve
the issue. It could also be an issue of the two programs
communicating, but generally plug-ins are designed to be universally
compatible based on format, or install specifically in a limited list
of software packages that they are designed for.

PS. This is assuming that you meat the software's minimum
requirements.

On 2 Sep 2005 06:59:01 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Jeff Richardson

I had something similar to this and switched to 16/4100 and I think it
cleared up. Can't really remember though....

Try it out if possible...

I might have been at 24/4800 though...

Jeff Richardson

Here's the system requirements for the card he's using:

Minimum Windows:

Pentium II 450 or higher
VGA graphic card, 800x600 / 256 colors
128 MB RAM
Windows 98SE/ME/2000 or Windows XP

Recommended Windows:

Intel Pentium III 1 GHz, Celeron 900 MHz or AMD K7 Athlon 1 GHz
ULTRA DMA or SCSI Controller
VGA graphic card, 1024x768 / Hi-Color
256 MB RAM

Try switching asio, mme, wdm... which are you using anyway?

Jeff Richardson

It might be the synth is corrupted to... maybe reinstall the synth, and
sonar.

Thanks for the advice.
Here's what I did today:
- took off the ethernet card
- set the VIO1 jumper at 2.9V
- switched to ASIO drivers in Sonar 4.0.3 (latency 5.8ms, which is ok
for me)

I've now running test for 4 hours and so far no crashes (I'll keep my
fingers crossed though...)

Geoff Wood

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Most likely a driver problem. Have you updated everything ? Try swapping
out a new HDD and reinstalling everythiong from scratch, with latest drivers
and Windows and application updates.

You really should have done all this basic stuff 2 years ago !

geoff

eh, I've clean-installed everything like 30 times during these 2 years,
and yes, I have the latest drivers... Also I have tried the older ones
to see if there's any difference. Sorry for the tone but it just gets
to me...

Tried also numerous jumper setting combinations, it can be a faulty
mobo, memory... who knows.

Geoff Wood

wrote in message
oups.com...
eh, I've clean-installed everything like 30 times during these 2 years,
and yes, I have the latest drivers... Also I have tried the older ones
to see if there's any difference. Sorry for the tone but it just gets
to me...

Tried also numerous jumper setting combinations, it can be a faulty
mobo, memory... who knows.

Mobo incompatiibility witht the card ? Got a spare PC to try it on ?
Faulty soundcard ?

geoff

Just bought a brand new Nexus PSU. That didn't help either.
I've tested the computer without a soundcard also, but the random
reboots persist. Only thing left could be one of these: memory, video
card or processor. Will borrow some memory from a friend and see what
happens.

The mobo is a7m266 rev 1.05

Mobo incompatiibility witht the card ? Got a spare PC to try it on ?
Faulty soundcard ?

geoff

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Just bought a brand new Nexus PSU. That didn't help
either.
I've tested the computer without a soundcard also, but
the random reboots persist. Only thing left could be one
of these: memory, video card or processor. Will borrow
some memory from a friend and see what happens.

The mobo is a7m266 rev 1.05

Or, the motherboard. The m266 says that its effectively a
legacy product.

Lynn

Randon reboots are most often caused by a faulty or underpowered power
supply, or a CPU overheating. Since you have your new PSU, try checking that
the CPU heatsink is seated firmly. Use extra gunk on it if necessary. Also
make sure that all fans are working to their full potential. If any are
caked with fluff and dirt, they wont be delivering sufficient cooling
airflow.
--
Lynn
Wobbly Music

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just bought a brand new Nexus PSU. That didn't help either.
I've tested the computer without a soundcard also, but the random
reboots persist. Only thing left could be one of these: memory, video
card or processor. Will borrow some memory from a friend and see what
happens.

The mobo is a7m266 rev 1.05

Mobo incompatiibility witht the card ? Got a spare PC to try it on ?
Faulty soundcard ?

geoff

OK, I think I've found the cause for the problem.
I borrowed Samsung PC3200 DDR ram from my friend and I've been running
now Sisoft Sandra for 2 days non-stop without a crash.

I didn't find any problems when I checked my faulty / incompatible
Kingston memory with memtest86.

My A7M266 just seem to like this specific piece of Kingston ram.