Posted to rec.audio.pro
_BOOTSY_ _BOOTSY_ is offline

Default BA VR-975 Passive Radiator help

I have a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-975 floor speakers. They have a
10" powered sub with a 12" passive radiator in each tower. Yesterday,
watching Chicken Run with my son, one of the 12" passives blew out. I
took it apart and there is a metal cylinder that is supposed to be
attached to the membrane. (Its now unattached). Is this something that
I can reattach myself and if so, what kind of epoxy would I use? Or
should I contact Tweeter or BA? BA calls these "tuned" radiators. So if
they can be done "DIY Style", any advice?

BTW, I am a complete novice at this....

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

_BOOTSY_ wrote:
I have a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-975 floor speakers. They have a
10" powered sub with a 12" passive radiator in each tower. Yesterday,
watching Chicken Run with my son, one of the 12" passives blew out. I
took it apart and there is a metal cylinder that is supposed to be
attached to the membrane. (Its now unattached). Is this something that
I can reattach myself and if so, what kind of epoxy would I use? Or
should I contact Tweeter or BA? BA calls these "tuned" radiators. So if
they can be done "DIY Style", any advice?

You DON'T want to use epoxy at all, because it's too brittle. You might
be able to get away with contact cement. The problem, though, is that
you won't be able to get the tension correct. You can play around with
mounting and remounting it, tapping on the good one and the bad one and
adjusting the tension until they sound the same. But it should just be
a lot easier to call BA and order a replacement passive radiator. They
should stock them and they will come on a frame pretuned with the tension
they are supposed to have.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
_BOOTSY_ _BOOTSY_ is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
_BOOTSY_ wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I will contact BA on Monday. People tell me they are very
helpful. I live less than an hour from them.