Here in Oregon

Default Recording Bit and Sample Rates

Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

J. P. Morris

Here in Oregon wrote:

Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

15ips for session and final mixdown
16/44 for test mixes
24/96 for digitizing the 2-track tape

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex, Thief and Ultima

44.1/24 bit with Sonar 4P and a Lynx L22.

DaveT

Agent 86

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:37:17 -0700, Here in Oregon wrote:

Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are recording
with?

Don't know what bravery would have to do with anything...

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

44.1/24 If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

"Here in Oregon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

24/96 here. Start with as much information as possible before mixdown/edit,
then decimate later, when you are ready for the end delivery format of
44/16.

--
Best Regards,

Mark A. Weiss, P.E.
www.mwcomms.com
-

Scott Dorsey

Here in Oregon wrote:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I record at 44.1 for stuff that will be issued on CD, and at 48 ksamp/sec
for film work that will be released at that rate. When I am not running
analogue tape, anyway.

Paul Stamler

"Here in Oregon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

24/44.1 almost all the time, except for microphone tests and technical stuff
which I do at 24/96. And occasional remotes still go to DAT at 16/44.1.

Peace,
Paul

Mike Rivers

Here in Oregon wrote:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

Will you publish the result of this poll?

For the record, most of the time, I record straight to 2-track with the
intent of burning a CD, and therefore use 16-bit 44.1 kHz.

For multitrack work with my Mackie HDR24/96, I usually use 24-bit 44.1
kHz just because I can, but I don't find the difference between 16- and
24-bit, with that recorder, in the circumstances in which I usually
record (not a dead quiet studio, usually on location with a fair amount
of ambient noise) to be earth shaking. Before I installed larger hard
drives in my Mackie recorders, I always used 16-bit to get 1/3 more
recording time on a disk when working on all-day shows.

I've never acutally used 96 kHz sample rate other than to see that it
works. And sometimes I record or mix to analog tape. No sample rate
needed.

Arny Krueger

"Here in Oregon" wrote in
message
oups.com
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate
you are recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup
are using with all of these converters coming out coupled
with the power of the new computers and speed of the new
hard drives.

16/44 for 24 track 30 minute live recording sessions. The
space requirements got to me, even at the current low cost
of hard drive space. If anything my recordings sound better,
but probably because I cleaned up other parts of the
process.

Eric Toline

For film sound I use 16/48 on DAT and 24/48 with a Sound Devices 744T.

Eric

Fletch

Here in Oregon wrote On 09/13/05 14:37,:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

48/16 tracking 44.1/16 for release to cd

--fletch
Arny Krueger

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Here in Oregon" wrote in
message
oups.com
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate
you are recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup
are using with all of these converters coming out coupled
with the power of the new computers and speed of the new
hard drives.

16/44 for 24 track 30 minute live recording sessions. The
space requirements got to me, even at the current low cost
of hard drive space. If anything my recordings sound
better, but probably because I cleaned up other parts of
the process.

Oh, and I mix at 32/44.

Carey Carlan

"Here in Oregon" wrote in
oups.com:

Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

44.1/16 for tracking on site, converted to 44.1/32 (only option I have
above 16 bits) before editing and mixdown.
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Here in Oregon" wrote in message oups.com...
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

Record to PT 6.9.1 on 32 channels of 192 I/O @ 24bit / 44.1K (analogue desk)
or
Record to Digital tape @ 16bit / 48K (analogue desk)

Mix to PC SoundForge 16bit / 44.1K (analogue desk)
or
Mix to 1/4" analogue tape (analogue desk)
or
Mix back to PT at 16 or 24 bit at 44.1K (analogue desk)

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

Bob Cain

Here in Oregon wrote:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

24/44.1 for reproduction. 24/48 for test and measurement.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Jonny Durango

Here in Oregon wrote:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

24/96 for anything that will see optical media...test and "proof of
concept" recordings are 16/44.1

Jonny Durango
Carey Carlan

Jonny Durango wrote in
:

24/96 for anything that will see optical media...test and "proof of
concept" recordings are 16/44.1

Only the third person in this long list working regularly above 48K.
RD Jones

Here in Oregon wrote:

Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

Depends on where the project is started.
A lot of stuff gets started on HD24 in other
rooms as 24/48 and that's OK. When the choice
is mine I start at 24/44. If I start something
on PC it's 32/44 and gets converted to 24/44
(the CEP/Audition file format issue).
Occasionally some ADAT based stuff shows up
and that's 20/48 or 16/48 of course.

rd

Geoff@work

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message news:zumdndJHM_ZLqrXeRVn-
the process.

Oh, and I mix at 32/44.

Make up your mnid - 32Khz or 44KHz !!! ;-)

geoff

Arny Krueger

"Geoff@work" wrote in
message
the process.

Oh, and I mix at 32/44.

Make up your mnid - 32Khz or 44KHz !!! ;-)

I'm probably among the few who have done much work at 32 KHz
this millenium. ;-)

Chris Cavell

I've been doing everything at 24/96 lately...but 99% of my work is
mastering, so that little one percent doesn't amount to a whole lot.
The bulk of what I receive for mastering is 24/44 follwed by a close
second place with 24/48...but 96 is slowly becoming more common...I've
only gotten one project at 88.2...which doesn't surprise me.

Danny Taddei

24/44 - it works for me

RD Jones

Geoff@work wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message news:zumdndJHM_ZLqrXeRVn-
the process.

Oh, and I mix at 32/44.

Make up your mnid - 32Khz or 44KHz !!! ;-)

OK ... I'll bite.

What IS the correct syntax for expressing
bit depth and sampling rate ?
I would have thought that "kHz/bits" was correct
but I see that most answers in this thread are
in "bits/kHz"

rd

Timo Haanpää

Here in Oregon kirjoitti:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

44.1/24.

Timo

Geoff@work

"RD Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

the process.

Oh, and I mix at 32/44.

Make up your mnid - 32Khz or 44KHz !!! ;-)

OK ... I'll bite.

What IS the correct syntax for expressing
bit depth and sampling rate ?
I would have thought that "kHz/bits" was correct
but I see that most answers in this thread are
in "bits/kHz"

There is no standard. Except the 'odd' 32 and 24 KHz sample rates, there
really is not much chance of confusion.

geoff

Les Cargill

Here in Oregon wrote:

Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

44.1/16, because I have a several devices that
output that format digitally.

--
Les Cargill
Here in Oregon

Here in Oregon wrote:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

Thanks for your input JP, Dave, Agent 86, Geoff, Mark, Scott, Paul,
Mike, Arny, Eric, Chris, RD, Fletch, Carey, David, Bob, Jonny, Danny,
Timo, and Les.

The consensus out of roughly twenty respondents....

11 are using 24/44.1
3 are using 16/44.1
3 are using 24/96
1 is using 24/48
1 is using 16/48
1 is using both 16/44.1 and 24/96

Mike Rivers wrote: Will you publish the result of this poll?

Only in the "New England Journal of Medicine"

Kidding!

Thanks to all the participants,... I can now sleep at night.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Here in Oregon[_2_] Here in Oregon[_2_] is offline

On Friday, September 16, 2005 at 12:49:00 PM UTC-7, Here in Oregon wrote:
Here in Oregon wrote:
[...]

Hey guys, it has been 15 years since I took the last poll and I wanted to ask if you would chime in on what bit depth and sampling rate you are primarily using now e.g., 16/44, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, tape?

I would really appreciate your participation in this poll and as before I will post the results.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Here in Oregon wrote:
[...]

44k1/24 if for 'routine' audio end-product.

48k/24 for video.

Or higher sample rate if specially requested.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/01/2020 07:04, geoff wrote:
On 7/01/2020 6:20 pm, Here in Oregon wrote:

Hey guys, it has been 15 years since I took the last poll and I wanted
to ask if you would chime in on what bit depth and sampling rate you
are primarily using now e.g., 16/44, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, tape?

I would really appreciate your participation in this poll and as
before I will post the results.

44k1/24 if for 'routine' audio end-product.

48k/24 for video.

Or higher sample rate if specially requested.

AOL
Occasionally 88.2 or 96 kHz if I'm doing stuff like noise removal on
transcriptions.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 13:54:02 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

On 07/01/2020 07:04, geoff wrote:
On 7/01/2020 6:20 pm, Here in Oregon wrote:

Hey guys, it has been 15 years since I took the last poll and I wanted
to ask if you would chime in on what bit depth and sampling rate you
are primarily using now e.g., 16/44, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, tape?

I would really appreciate your participation in this poll and as
before I will post the results.

44k1/24 if for 'routine' audio end-product.

48k/24 for video.

Or higher sample rate if specially requested.

AOL
Occasionally 88.2 or 96 kHz if I'm doing stuff like noise removal on
transcriptions.

If you are doing noise removal, don't waste processing and encoding on
inaudible stuff, 44.1kHz is where you need to be working.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 07/01/2020 14:05, Don Pearce wrote:
If you are doing noise removal, don't waste processing and encoding on
inaudible stuff, 44.1kHz is where you need to be working.

The program uses the inaudible stuff as a helper, and I always use a
stereo pickup or tape player even on mono sources. But I'm using "noise"
in the sense of unwanted signals such as clicks and pops, not just hiss
and hum.

Processing power and storage is so cheap now that it's no big deal, even
if the difference is only marginal.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

On 07/01/2020 07:04, geoff wrote:
On 7/01/2020 6:20 pm, Here in Oregon wrote:

Hey guys, it has been 15 years since I took the last poll and I wanted
to ask if you would chime in on what bit depth and sampling rate you
are primarily using now e.g., 16/44, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, tape?

I would really appreciate your participation in this poll and as
before I will post the results.

44k1/24 if for 'routine' audio end-product.

48k/24 for video.

Or higher sample rate if specially requested.

AOL
Occasionally 88.2 or 96 kHz if I'm doing stuff like noise removal on
transcriptions.

If you are doing noise removal, don't waste processing and encoding on
inaudible stuff, 44.1kHz is where you need to be working.

The inaudible stuff is actually very useful... transient removal algorithms
can key on the ultrasonic stuff and get better click and pop removal without
as much thumping. It's the one application where having ultrasonic response
can be a big win.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Here in Oregon wrote:

Hey guys, it has been 15 years since I took the last poll and I wanted to ask if you would chime in on what bit depth and sampling rate you are primarily using now e.g., 16/44, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96, 24/192, tape?

I am doing a lot of 24/96 these days (really 20/96 since the last four bits
are mush), because customers want it. I'm still doing a lot of 24/44.1 though.
I have finally stopped the last of the 16 bit recording stuff, I think.

Still doing a lot of analogue, though. That's actually picking up.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

44k1/24 if for 'routine' audio end-product.

48k/24 for video.

Or higher sample rate if specially requested.

I second that emotion!

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jrg.roberts@gmail.com is offline

On Tuesday, 13 September 2005 23:37:17 UTC+2, Here in Oregon wrote:
Would anybody be brave enough to reveal what sample rate you are
recording with?

I'm just real curious what MOST people in this newsgroup are using with
all of these converters coming out coupled with the power of the new
computers and speed of the new hard drives.

24/44, 24/48, 24/96 16/22

24/44.1, I don't do video but if I did 24/48, very rarely double those if I am intending analysis or special processing... though all my plugins oversample (I *think* all...)