Default question regarding beyer dynamic condenser mic mc740

beyer dynamic condenser mic
i see one of these mc740's studio condenser mics on ebay,
does anyone have an opinion on them ?
how they sound ? what are they worth ?

thanks

jim

hank alrich

beyer dynamic condenser mic

One or the other - it's a condensor mic.

i see one of these mc740's studio condenser mics on ebay,
does anyone have an opinion on them ?
how they sound ? what are they worth ?

This is so that everybody who could bid against you will also know what
to pay? g

Google it; there has been some talk about it here in the past. I've
never used one.

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

--
ha
Martin Harrington

Hank,
BeyerDynamic is the brand name....

--
Martin Harrington
www.lendanear-sound.com
"hank alrich" wrote in message

beyer dynamic condenser mic

One or the other - it's a condensor mic.

i see one of these mc740's studio condenser mics on ebay,
does anyone have an opinion on them ?
how they sound ? what are they worth ?

This is so that everybody who could bid against you will also know what
to pay? g

Google it; there has been some talk about it here in the past. I've
never used one.

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

--
ha

hank alrich

Martin Harrington wrote:

Hank,
BeyerDynamic is the brand name....

You're absolutely right; thank you, Martin. You'd think I'd realize that
given how many Beyer dynamic mics I have here. g

--
ha

I don't like that the one for sale has been dropped... but, I do
remember about 10 years ago, they were starting to get rid of them at
the pro audio shops for around $900. I think they started off a few
hundred more than that.

Mike

Ty Ford

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:58:44 -0500, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

Martin Harrington wrote:

Hank,
BeyerDynamic is the brand name....

You're absolutely right; thank you, Martin. You'd think I'd realize that
given how many Beyer dynamic mics I have here. g

--
ha

And I thought you were just being opaquely oblique!

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com

A few hundred? Try $2000 list price in the lastest Swee****er catalog.
Their discounted price is $1750.
later,

Joe Sensor

Here an MC 834 (cardioid only version) sold for 289.00:

Jeff Jasper

Jim wrote:
beyer dynamic condenser mic
i see one of these mc740's studio condenser mics on ebay,
does anyone have an opinion on them ?
how they sound ? what are they worth ?

They're bright. A couple dB brighter than an AKG 414TL-II or a TLM-103. I
personally like mine, but it can occasionally be sibilant on some female
vocals. If you put it in figure-8, the rear side is not quite as bright but
does sound good, and I've used that to some advantage when doing male/female
voiceover duet using one mic.

If you look at the freq. response plots on the Beyer site, you'll see that
the high end does not really change depending on polar pattern, and that is
indeed the fact. Very consistent. I'd say use an MC740 anywhere you'd use
a 414EB or TL-II. The proximity effect on the MC740 seems to start at a
lower frequency, so it doesn't sound nearly as woofy up close as the TL-II
or TLM-103. That might be due to its "medium" 20mm diaphragm, as opposed to
the AKG's 25mm or the TLM's even larger diameter (27mm?). The MC740 also
seems to be a bit more forgiving off-axis as well, but I have not done
formal tests.

The output is not as hot or clean as the AKG or TLM-103, but on the other
hand noise has not been a problem, ever. The pad has occasionally come in
handy, as has the 80Hz and 160Hz bass cut filter. My favorite patterns on
it are hypercardioid and figure-8, but all sound good. If you need
versatility in a mic, I'd choose it over a TLM-103. For one thing, the
Beyer does filter out the extremely low freq. garbage such as street rumble
that the 103 and TL-II pass quite happily. With it's degree of
high-frequency boost, I'd think the MC740 would also be a very pleasing ORTF
pair. Startlingly clear. (Altho that might be too bright for Scott or Ty.)

I'd say in perfect condition, an MC740 should be worth about the same as a
414 TL-II in mint condition, about $750-$850. Make sure the grill fits
snugly, or you can get some nasty distortion buildup due to RF.
Incidentally, you'll need the stand clip; the Beyer shock mount is
worthless, flimsy, and will not hold in position. If you find another
secure shock mount that'll fit, please let me know. Fortunately, I've never
genuinely needed the shock mount and the clip has been just fine.

My suggestion is that you audition the new AKG 414XL-II before making a
purchase. It has the same pattern selection, more bass rolloff options, and
probably a somewhat tamer high end. But when you need the *brightest* mic
with no midrange schmutz, the 740 is hard to beat.

Jeff Jasper
Jeff Jasper Productions, West Funroe, La.

The one for $495 is the one I bought. I think I'm going to dig it from
what little I've played with it.
Just because they don't sell for much used, doesn't make it a bad mic.
It might not be your cup of tea, but it's still a top notch mic from a
well respected manufacturer. For $500, I'd take another...not dropped.
;-)

later,

That's right. It was only a $1200 mic 10+ years ago and I recall them
going on sale for under $1000. It was a little more than the AKG
414B-ULS and about the same as the AKG 414 TL. Why is the price so high
now? Probably due to lack of sales. The AKG prices dropped and the
Beyer went up since then.

Mike

wrote:
A few hundred? Try $2000 list price in the lastest Swee****er

catalog.
Their discounted price is $1750.
later,

10+ years ago, what were the other German mics selling for? A TLM103?
U87? Didn't the 103 have a list price of $749 and sell for about
$600-650? Now they have a list of $1300 or so and sell for a grand.
later,

Predrag Trpkov

wrote in message
oups.com...
10+ years ago, what were the other German mics selling for? A TLM103?
U87? Didn't the 103 have a list price of $749 and sell for about
$600-650? Now they have a list of $1300 or so and sell for a grand.

The TLM 103 didn't exist 10 years ago. Apart from that, you have a point.

Predrag

hank alrich

mwood wrote:

10+ years ago, what were the other German mics selling for? A TLM103?
U87? Didn't the 103 have a list price of $749 and sell for about
$600-650? Now they have a list of $1300 or so and sell for a grand.

This thing called the "exchange rate" will prove entertaining over the
next few years. Add to that stout increases in the cost of petroleum
products (ust about everything nowadays) and my money will be shrinking.

--
ha
Scott Dorsey

10+ years ago, what were the other German mics selling for? A TLM103?
U87? Didn't the 103 have a list price of $749 and sell for about
$600-650? Now they have a list of $1300 or so and sell for a grand.

Yes, but compare what the Euro was worth when they first went over to it
with what it's worth today. Scary, isn't it?

It is. My day job is working for a global software distributor. I
must get 1/2 my questions from our reps trying to sell to global
companies and they're all trying to purchase through the US right now.
Some of them can save nearly 50% if they could just do this vs.
purchasing in Europe and paying with Euros.
Crazy stuff....
later,

I found it for $1350 (new) at a store in Germany. At the same store,
the Neumann U-89 is $2300. I compare it to the U-89 because that is the
Neumann mic which has the closest capsule and pattern design. The U-89
has been seen recently on the used market for $900-1100. So the
new/used ratio holds up between these two mics despite the fact that
the U89 is a much more popular microphone, though nowhere near the
popularity of the U-87.

Mike

Scott Dorsey

DW Griffi wrote:

Crazy stuff indeed. There's definitely exchange rate fever goin' on
out there.

I just sold a whole stack of manuals for boatanchor video gear, and a couple
old radios (basically parts junkers) to Europe and there was actually a
bidding war going on!

DeserTBoB

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:34:40 -0800, play on
wrote:

Crazy stuff indeed. There's definitely exchange rate fever goin' on
out there. snip

It'll get worse before it gets better, too. I dumped all my dollars
and bought Euros, and am now outpacing the Dow and NASDAQ just on the
exchange rate. Bush is addled brained when it comes to economics, and
will probably neglect to prop up the dollar and get tough with China.
Hence, the US dollar indexed to 2000 will probably be worth 40¢ by the
time we get him out of there, unless there's an abrupt policy change
in the White House, and Dubya hasn't got the brains needed to do that.

The bad news here is that new European audio gear will skyrocket in
price, and since we no longer manufacture much of anything here, all
we can do is sell our old junk back to them along with some SM-57s.
The cheapie end of the market, made in China, will continue to be
cheap for now, since China is predatorially riding the dollar down,
thus keeping shortsighted and greedy US corporations "offshoring" all
their work to them, and the whole deindustrialization cycle
accelerates. This will also keep scum ball retailers like Wal-Mart
fat in profit...for the short term. Once China is satisfied with the
level of deindustrializtion in the US, they'll float the RMB and
prices for even cheap crap will skyrocket. Right about that time,
double digit interest rates will return, and the resultant
"stagflation" will make the Carter years look like a boom period.

It ain't gonad be pretty in the US in the next few years.

dB

Scott Dorsey

DeserTBoB wrote:

The bad news here is that new European audio gear will skyrocket in
price, and since we no longer manufacture much of anything here, all
we can do is sell our old junk back to them along with some SM-57s.

No, the SM-57 is made in Mexico now, so expect that to be going up too.
The peso is pretty well tied to the dollar but not totally because Mexico
does have other trading partners.

Arny Krueger

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

DeserTBoB wrote:

The bad news here is that new European audio gear will skyrocket in
price, and since we no longer manufacture much of anything here, all
we can do is sell our old junk back to them along with some SM-57s.

No, the SM-57 is made in Mexico now, so expect that to be going up
too. The peso is pretty well tied to the dollar but not totally
because Mexico does have other trading partners.

When I was just in Mexico, I saw signs of the devaluation of the $$$.

Kurt Albershardt

DeserTBoB wrote:

Crazy stuff indeed. There's definitely exchange rate fever goin'
on out there. snip

It'll get worse before it gets better, too.

Agreed.

The bad news here is that new European audio gear will skyrocket in
in price

Already has, between the exchange rate and last year's price increases (Schoeps and Microtech Gefell come to mind.)

we no longer manufacture much of anything here, all
we can do is sell our old junk back to them along with some SM-57s.

Not true. It's a perfect time to buy mics from AEA, Josephson, and Royer. A good portion of the top-flight analog electronics are domestic as well.

play on

Did anyone else hear the piece on NPR about how even drug dealers in
other countries are now preferring the Euro over the dollar? It's
really getting bad when even the crooks don't want it.

Al