Edward Bridge

Default close miking

fast question: in close miking a classical guitars (noise block) , it's it
better to use small diaphragm or large diaphragm or is it either I dammed?
I have 2 cad 100's and AT4040 and Sony Stereo Mic. but I don't have small
diaphragm ( none to borrow)

thinking of a pair of CM 700's

Thank you
Ed

jnorman

if you want accuracy, go with SD. if you want a more colored sound,
use LD. the crowns are quite bright, and give an unwanted "plinky"
sound to classical guitar - look for something with a flat response
curve, like akg c480s, schoeps cmc641s, dpa 4011s. cheaper, and not
quite as flat, are the gefell m300s. if you use brighter mics, use
them off-axis.
Edward Bridge

"jnorman" wrote in message
om...
if you want accuracy, go with SD. if you want a more colored sound,
use LD. --

accuracy, would be more guitar and less room if I had the mic place right ?
Peace,
Ed Bridge
Brooklyn N.Y.
www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com

Edward Bridge

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

But if you don't have a small diaphragm mic, you can't do that. Just
experiement with what you have. You might want to try the 4040 near
the neck joint and use the Sony for a little crispness. No formulas,
just reasonable places to start your experiments.

Holy batmites, that's what I did which is what got me thinking .um maybe
two nice SD mic's instead of the Sony Stereo (Electret ECM999 PR) I have
..

I know it's best to record in a great room but that's not happening right in
my life so I need to be able to enjoy life in a small room . . I hate when I
do something I like and in the background I machine noise. ( no PC )