Bill T

Default Heathkit W-1 amp info

I have just paired up a second Heathkit W-1 mono amp. Both are in great
shape except for replacing the output tube plate caps and associated wires.
The second one has the Peerless 16277 output transformer just like the W-2s
I have. My first W-1 has a Peerless output transformer but I can not read
the number. It is definitely not the 16277 but is 162?? (maybe an 8 or a 3
for the last number?) . It has four lugs brought out on the high voltage
winding and the center two lugs are wire connected to the B+. i.e.. no
Ultralinear taps available. I would not think a pair of 807s in class AB
push/pull would rate at 20 watts of output unless triode connected. My W-1
amp with the 16277 has the screen grid taps connected just like the W-2! The
W-2 used 5881 tubes where the Ultalinear connection makes more sense for 20
Watts out.

Does anyone have any info on these early Peerless output transformers? How
about info on the history and/or factory upgrades during production by
Heath??

Any info is appreciated and I would love to converse with anyone into the
early Heath Williamson amps.

Joel C Joel C is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
[...]

Hi, The W-1 has a 16258 Peerless. Have you drawn a schematic of how the
W-1 output is wired? I would be interested to see it.