Maxwell Smart

Default Audio CD Ripping Question

I'm not sure if this is the proper forum for this question, so please let
me know if there's another group I should be posting to.

I'm having trouble trying to 'rip' audio CDs that are 70 - 80 minutes in
length. I've tried on two different PCs, and the results are generally the
same. The first PC is an AMD K7 750MHz with 256MB RAM and a TDK
16x/10x/40x CD-RW running TDK Digital MixMaster software under Win98SE.
The second is a 2.53 GHz P4 with 512MB RAM and a 48x/24x/48x CD-RW running
Musicmatch Plus under Win XP Home. I've also tried Real Player and Windows
Media Player, but the results are the same.

I can rip the tracks without any problems up to about 70 minutes, but after
that point both PCs seem like they can't read the tracks successfully.
These are all retail audio CDs that play fine in any audio CD player (e.g.
Tommy by The Who), but it seems like the CD-RW drives in the two computers
can't successfully read the audio tracks on the outer edge of the CDs.
They try to read the tracks, but the read speed slows down to the minimum
and then the software eventually gives up. Needless to say, this is
impeding my effort to convert my CD collection to MP3. Most CDs record
without problems, but I'm unable to record all of the long ones and end up
missing tracks.

I would appreciate any suggestions for resolving this problem, or pointers
to other sources of help. Thanks.

Dan
Mark D. Zacharias

Either or both PC drives could have sufficient cleaning / maintenance issues
to account for this, particularly the older 750 mHz model, if the drive is
also older.

You could try Exact Audio Copy and see if it can recover the tracks you
need.

Mark Z.

"Maxwell Smart" wrote in message
.93...
[...]

Maxwell Smart

Thanks for the suggestions. What's the best way to go about cleaning a CD-
RW drive? The CD drive in the 750 mHz PC is at least 3 years old, so it
probably could stand a good cleaning. But my other PC is barely a year
old, so I would expect it to still be in good condition.

I will try and find Exact Audio Copy through Google.

Dan

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

Either or both PC drives could have sufficient cleaning / maintenance
issues to account for this, particularly the older 750 mHz model, if
the drive is also older.

You could try Exact Audio Copy and see if it can recover the tracks
you need.

Mark Z.

Mark D. Zacharias

PC drives are rather harder to clean than standalone home units. One just
removes it from the PC, and starts disassembling until the lens and other
parts are visible. The lens can be cleaned using a cotton swab moistened but
not dripping with window cleaner or pure alcohol. A dry swab should follow
to get any residue. Any visible debris or grunge should be removed from the
sled rail or wormscrew.

Considering the low price of replacement CD-R drives these days, and the
potential extra labor if cleaning doesn't help, I would say that now might
be a good time to consider replacement. You can get a DVD player / CD-RW
drive for under fifty dollars.

Mark Z.

"Maxwell Smart" wrote in message
.81...
Thanks for the suggestions. What's the best way to go about cleaning a

CD-
RW drive? The CD drive in the 750 mHz PC is at least 3 years old, so it
probably could stand a good cleaning. But my other PC is barely a year
old, so I would expect it to still be in good condition.

I will try and find Exact Audio Copy through Google.

Dan

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
:

Either or both PC drives could have sufficient cleaning / maintenance
issues to account for this, particularly the older 750 mHz model, if
the drive is also older.

You could try Exact Audio Copy and see if it can recover the tracks
you need.

Mark Z.

* * Chas

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
PC drives are rather harder to clean than standalone home units. One

just
removes it from the PC, and starts disassembling until the lens and

other
parts are visible. The lens can be cleaned using a cotton swab moistened

but
not dripping with window cleaner or pure alcohol. A dry swab should

follow
to get any residue. Any visible debris or grunge should be removed from

the
sled rail or wormscrew.

Considering the low price of replacement CD-R drives these days, and the
potential extra labor if cleaning doesn't help, I would say that now

might
be a good time to consider replacement. You can get a DVD player / CD-RW
drive for under fifty dollars.

A better group for info on CDRs & CDRWs is alt.comp.periphs.cdr

Tearing into a CDR or RW is beyond the skills of most computer users. If
you have you PC located in a dusty location you should try cleaning the
whole system with a vacuum cleaner.

Be careful not to touch any of the components such as the motherboard and
addin cards with the plastic or metal cleaner attachments because they
could release static electricity.

The lenses in CD and DVD players are coated optics and alcohol or
household cleaner could remove or damage the coatings.

Good luck.
--
Chas. (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

Mark D. Zacharias

"* * Chas" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent advice except on the cleaner. I clean lenses all the time, and
often measure HF output from the laser before and after. Never seen a
problem. Window cleaner works just fine, and although I personally don't
favor alcohol, there are professionals who favor Ethanol (Everclear) for
everything from nuclear detector amplifiers to microscope optics to camera
lenses.

Mark Z.