B. Jones

Default Why I chose Sirius over XM.

I typically drive 100+ miles per day. It's roughly 50 miles from home
to the office and then there's going out to lunch and running errands
on the way home, etc.
6 months ago I got a hard drive based MP3 player. It stores 30gb of
MP3s, which has been more than enough for my entire collection of
200-300 CDs, some downloaded music, etc...and plenty of room to spare.
I thought this would be perfect for the drive - I can take my music
anywhere. Well, it's been great and it still is, but obviously, you're
limited to the music you already have. Recently I had been thinking
the time may have come for satellite radio. A co-worker had gotten XM
in the last few months and said he had been enjoying it but wasn't
very happy with the music choices on the hard rock / metal stations.
He and I have similar musical tastes as we both cut our teeth on a
steady of diet of Ratt, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden and the like in our
younger days and still enjoy that type of music. Still, XM is the
market leader and is 3 bucks cheaper on a month-to-month basis so I
was learning towards XM. I started at Best Buy and spoke to the
salesman to get his take on it. I asked what "in his opinion" was the
better service. "Sirius without a doubt," was his response.
Unfortunately, when I asked why, he couldn't really give me anything
that I could make a decision on. He liked the fact that a local
(Atlanta) sports-talk radio station' morning show was simulcasted on
Sirius so he could get that station when the AM radio signal was too
weak. That seemed to be his only reason for endorsing Sirius.
Hardly anything to hang my hat on. I asked a few more questions and
soon realized that I may very well have been dealing with the worst
salesman I had ever encountered.
I left still leaning towards XM radio.
The next day I went to Circuit City. I spoke with one of the guys
there and asked him the same questions and he too, recommended Sirius
over XM. His answers were more fulfilling than the other guy's as he
touted Sirius' more palatable music selections, as well as more
comprehensive weather and traffic coverage for the Atlanta area.
He went over and showed me the Sirius display unit they had (something
the other guy never offered to do) and I played around and immediately
thought I had died and gone to heaven when I tuned to Sirius' Hair
Nation (023) and heard one of my favorite songs of all time, Dio's
'Rainbow in the Dark.' "It's an omen," I thought.
I looked up XM's station guide on the pamphlet and couldn't find a
similar offering so now I'm leaning towards Sirius over XM.
I asked about hardware. Circuit City was running a deal. You buy the
Audiovox unit and the mobile adapter kit and you get the home kit for
free. On top of that, when you buy the Audiovox unit, you get a
mail-in rebate for a $50 gift card to Circuit City. Sure, it's not
quite the same as $50 cash but I'd spend $50 there anyway.
So, for all practical purposes, for $100 I now have Sirius in my home
and truck.
I figure for an extra 3 bucks a month I can put it into perspective
this way - that's a dime a day. That's a couple of Mountain Dews at
the Quick-E-Mart.
So, now I've got Sirius in my truck and I'm loving life. I'm enjoying
every single rock station they offer as well as the comedy, sports,
and talk. My commute goes by much quicker than before and believe it
or not, I've actually wished my commute were a little longer (except
for the gas prices) so I could enjoy the radio a little more.
So, as we all know, when someone asks " which is better, XM or
Sirius?" The answer is always subjective. The best *for me* is
undoubtedly Sirius. I'm a fan and will be for a long time.

google search help:
xm vs. sirius
sirius vs. xm
John

I'll second that. I chose Sirius over XM because:

1) XM runs commercials on some channels; Sirius is 100% commercial free
2) Sirius has NPR and PRI stations, XM does not (or at least did not at the
time)

To be honest, my biggest reason for getting satellite radio was to escape
the incessant commercials on FM. Just knowing that XM is not
commercial-free was all I had to hear.

John

"B. Jones" wrote in message
[...]

Eddie Runner

John wrote:

I'll second that. I chose Sirius over XM because:
1) XM runs commercials on some channels; Sirius is 100% commercial free

Sounds like you dont really have SIRIUS at all or you would know that
Sirius IS NOT 100% commercial free.... Sirius has MANY channels
that do have commercials...

2) Sirius has NPR and PRI stations, XM does not (or at least did not at the
time)

Now programing differences is a legit reason to choose one
over the other... I have both XM and Sirius so I dont miss anything... ;-)

To be honest, my biggest reason for getting satellite radio was to escape
the incessant commercials on FM. Just knowing that XM is not
commercial-free was all I had to hear.

Both XM and Sirius are a big change from old school FM, but you
are wrong about the difference in commercials... Comparing the
two they are about even in the channels with or without commercials,
I believe the music channels on both services are commercial free, but
many other channels are full of commercials....

Eddie Runner
I got both!

John

Eddie,
Yes, I really do have Sirius! But I stand corrected. When I first signed
up, their marketing was "100% commercial free." They have since changed
that to "100% commercial free music." Which just means the music channels
are commerical free, but as you said, some of the others run commercials.

"Eddie Runner" wrote in message
John wrote:

I'll second that. I chose Sirius over XM because:
1) XM runs commercials on some channels; Sirius is 100% commercial free

Sounds like you dont really have SIRIUS at all or you would know that
Sirius IS NOT 100% commercial free.... Sirius has MANY channels
that do have commercials...

2) Sirius has NPR and PRI stations, XM does not (or at least did not at

the
time)

Now programing differences is a legit reason to choose one
over the other... I have both XM and Sirius so I dont miss anything...

;-)

To be honest, my biggest reason for getting satellite radio was to

escape
the incessant commercials on FM. Just knowing that XM is not
commercial-free was all I had to hear.

Both XM and Sirius are a big change from old school FM, but you
are wrong about the difference in commercials... Comparing the
two they are about even in the channels with or without commercials,
I believe the music channels on both services are commercial free, but
many other channels are full of commercials....

Eddie Runner
I got both!

mayhemkrew

XM is 100% commercial free too. There are no ad's for any product on any
channels, this was effective March 1st. As for wanting "80's Hair Bands" on
XM radio, the bone yard (Channel 41) plays that type of music from the likes
of Poison, Ratt, Cinderella, and more.

The only thing I have found with Sirius is reception is not as good as XM
(which I am sure others can attest to). When I install Sirius systems, I
have to pull the car out of the bay to get a reception signal with XM I do
not. Customers also say that it fades in and out for whatever reason and I
have read numerous complaints on various message boards with the same
complaint. Not saying this is everybody's problem, but one I ran into.

The other thing I noticed with Sirius systems is the music streams sound
like poorly encoded mp3 files (swishy), this is both with dedicated and RF
modulated systems. SO, this war will continue on. . .

news

John wrote:

[...]

Perry

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message
[...]

XM's music streams are commercial free(like those on Sirius), but
programming such as ESPNRadio, CNN, etc have commercials, correct(they do on
Sirius).

Eddie Runner

Actually they have ALWAYS said 100% commercial free MUSIC.
(I have been a serius dealer since they started)

Most IDIOTS that come in the store ASSume it means everything is
100% commercial free, I have argued with Sirius about this because
I think thier advertising is very missleading.....

But XM also has 100% commercial free music channels, they just
dont say it the same missleading way that Sirius does, and alot of folks
assume Sirius is better than XM just for the reason of less commercials
(which isnt really true at all)....

The programming is one reason to choose one over the other (IMO)
there are some things on Sirius that cant be found on XM and some stuff
on XM that isnt on Sirius...

Other reasons to shoose one over the other
include compatability with your headunit
PIONEER=XM KENWOOD=SIRIUS
Or maybe the way the controller fits the car there are some product
differences betwen the Sirius and Xm stuff

And also there are some very good deals to be had with the competitive
rebates and free tuners and so on... Might wanna get the one that the best
deal for you..

And the monthly proce seems to be a big factor for many folks.
Although it is so great I would still like it if it was twice the price.
And also the price seems to be a reason keeping alot of folks from
getting involved at all.... I was even skeptical at first, but not I love it
BOTH of em!

Eddie Runner
http://www.installer.com/tech/

John wrote:

[...]

John

Hmm, I didn't realize there was a difference in sound quality. And I also
didn't realize that XM is now commercial free on their music channels. That
leaves NPR as the only reason (for me) to choose Sirius over XM. Hmm,
factor in the $3 a month premium for Sirius, and I may be convinced to
switch... :-o

Anybody want to buy a Kenwood Here2Anywhere? :-)

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message

The other thing I noticed with Sirius systems is the music streams sound
like poorly encoded mp3 files (swishy), this is both with dedicated and RF
modulated systems. SO, this war will continue on. . .

Eddie Runner

mayhemkrew wrote:

XM is 100% commercial free too. There are no ad's for any product on any
channels, this was effective March 1st.

Music channels are commercial free just like Sirius
other channels have commercials just like Sirius.

The only thing I have found with Sirius is reception is not as good as XM
(which I am sure others can attest to). When I install Sirius systems, I
have to pull the car out of the bay to get a reception signal with XM I do
not.

I have both and I am not sure reception is better on one or the other.

The problem you have is probably assciated with the terestrial boosters.
XM and SIRIUS use ground stations to fill in the gaps by big buildings
or freeway overpasses in big cities, in your shop you may just be seeing
the influence of the terrestrial (ground) repeaters....

In the sky, XM has two geostationary sats (always in the same spot
over the equator like satellite TV) and SIRIUS I guess cause there
were no more geostationary spots available or becuase it might cost
more to have the geostationary spots, have THREE sats up there, but
they move around in figure 8s over the USA... SInce they can go below
the horizon (out of view) they have to have three sats so two are always
visible to your car....

There are technical advantages and disadvantages to each of the
systems but I would say they are probably about equal technicly, and
using both I dont really notice any more drop outs from one to the other
and certainly not enough to bother me in either case....

Customers also say that it fades in and out for whatever reason and I
have read numerous complaints on various message boards with the same
complaint. Not saying this is everybody's problem, but one I ran into.

It could be, depending on where you live or even how the antenna is
mounted on the car could show performance differences between the
two services.... I would think if your anywhere near a big city like I
am the terrestrial antennas could be playing a big part... My XM at home
has the antenna looking out a north facing window but the XM antennas
in the sky are definitly SOUTH of me.. So I know that system is
looking at a terrestrial antenna, not the sky...

The other thing I noticed with Sirius systems is the music streams sound
like poorly encoded mp3 files (swishy), this is both with dedicated and RF
modulated systems. SO, this war will continue on. . .

I have heard folks say that about both XM and Sirius, for me they
both sound fine....

BTW, I have also heard folks say Sirius repeats music more often than XM
does, but I cant verify that with the channels I listen to....

Eddie Runner
http://www.installer.com/tech/

John wrote:

[...]

mayhemkrew

Thanks for all the info Eddie, didn't know that about both services having
commercials on talk/tv/etc channels. Just shows you what I listen to, heh.
But I guess that's understandable to have commercials on those channels
cause they have commercials on am/fm for the same content anyways, so they
need em on XM too since it's not an XM controlled channel persay.

John wrote:

[...]

B. Jones

I have noticed the "swishy" sounds on talk radio streams but not on
the music streams. I'm making an assumption that Sirius has dedicated
more bandwidth to music steams than talk streams.

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message news:tdvsc.18305
The other thing I noticed with Sirius systems is the music streams sound
like poorly encoded mp3 files (swishy), this is both with dedicated and RF
modulated systems. SO, this war will continue on. . .

Rich

"B. Jones" wrote in message
m...
He and I have similar musical tastes as we both cut our teeth on a
steady of diet of Ratt, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden and the like in our
younger days and still enjoy that type of music. Still, XM is the

Make sure you check out "Buzzsaw" in addition to Hair Nation. They play a
TON of Maiden. HN tends to play Maiden 'softer' hits such as "2 Minutes to
Midnight", where Buzzsaw plays the harder edged stuff like the stuff from
"Killers" and the epics like 'Revelations' (I heard "Purgatory" the other
day and **** my pants - at least I think that's the song where he goes
"another time, another place, see a smile on another face..etc.). And I
hear "The Trooper" occasionally on both. They also play Maiden on "Octane",
though much less frequently.

B. Jones

Yeah, I'm digging Buzzsaw.
Heard "Wasted Years" this morning.
The one thing that I'm going to have to keep my eye on is the amount
of repeats that I'm hearing. I've had Sirius for less than a week now
and have heard Motley Crüe's "Kick Start my Heart" 4 times on Hair
Nation.
I do like the fact that the station is not stuck in the '80s. They
play current hits from bands that fall under the "hair band" category
such as the new Tesla song, etc.
Now if only Cinderella would get back together and put a new release
out...

"Rich" wrote in message ...
"B. Jones" wrote in message
m...
He and I have similar musical tastes as we both cut our teeth on a
steady of diet of Ratt, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden and the like in our
younger days and still enjoy that type of music. Still, XM is the

Make sure you check out "Buzzsaw" in addition to Hair Nation. They play a
TON of Maiden. HN tends to play Maiden 'softer' hits such as "2 Minutes to
Midnight", where Buzzsaw plays the harder edged stuff like the stuff from
"Killers" and the epics like 'Revelations' (I heard "Purgatory" the other
day and **** my pants - at least I think that's the song where he goes
"another time, another place, see a smile on another face..etc.). And I
hear "The Trooper" occasionally on both. They also play Maiden on "Octane",
though much less frequently.

Hallofwiffleball

I chose Sirius last year and love it.
But now I need a new system for my new car and am very limited
I had a panasonic stereo
now I can only choose between kenwood and clarion. The displays on the Sony and
Pioneers are much nicer..
but still...i'm sticking w/ Sirius.
Plus now it's just as cheap as XM
and you can even get sirius for life for $600 but..i'm not going to do that
just yet...
Also I like
that it comes out of NY
and the little doggy logo
6 hockey games a night ..
though XM has that adult station....what's on that???
KnightRdrX

changed my mind
i'm going w/ xm
i didn't realize they have commercial free music too
and i like the pioneer 8600 deck
xm seems to have more programming that i want to hear

but there's nothing wrong w/ sirius

B. Jones

Yeah, now this is weird.
GM owns Echostar. Echostar owns DISH.
DISH has a contract with Sirius. GM has a contract with XM.
WTF???

I.Care wrote in message et...
In article ,
says...
changed my mind
i'm going w/ xm
i didn't realize they have commercial free music too
and i like the pioneer 8600 deck
xm seems to have more programming that i want to hear

but there's nothing wrong w/ sirius

Noticed that DishNetwork is providing Sirius radio in the channel 6000
area.

Ringo

I have Xm and as a DISH owner, I recently got Sirius on my home
stereo. I went out and got a Delphi home unit so I could record
something and decided to do a side to side comparision. I like XM
better for the irrational reason that anyone likes anything..personal
taste.

The three stations I listen to the most are Fred (classic alternative
is there is such a thing), Fungus (Punk/Ska/Industrial) and XMKids (no
explanation needed with 5 and 4 year old boys). Fred is OK and is
about even in programming with the Sirius version. I like Fungus
because I like the programmer/jock on Xm..he was a DJ here in Chicago
for a bit and I like his style. The real difference to me is the kids
station. The XM version is well varied in musical styles, amusing at
times (esp in the morning) and listenable for the most part by adults.
The Sirius version that I lsitened to had more Barney songs than I
knew existed mixed in the a heaping lump of Disney fare...the kids may
like it but I was ripping my hair out.

Sure...there is no NPR and the quality of the sound is not as good (I
think) but at least I don't have to hear Mark Goodman ramble on about
something arcane when I want to hear some bad 80s music.

Just my .02

B. Jones

Yeah, my bad. I was having a bad memory day.

Still lovin' Sirius, though.
I have DirecTV at home. Wonder if XM will try and strike a deal with them?

But errr...not sure who Mike Dahmus is.

Samuel Fang wrote in message . ..
Has Mike Dahmus *plonked* you, (B. Jones) ?

Yeah, now this is weird.
GM owns Echostar. Echostar owns DISH.
DISH has a contract with Sirius. GM has a contract with XM.
WTF???

GM owns DirecTV.
Echostar is a stand-alone company, which owns Dish.