Hugh Cowan

Default Connecting Speakers Directly to a Computer

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me (or point me in a
specific direction), why it seems to me that you cannot hook-up stereo
speakers directly to your computer (ie: connect to the sound card).

I have seen numerous posts that indicate you must connect the computer
to the stereo, and not the speakers themselves (though the line-in,
AUX, etc.. connections).

But, I have a set of computer speakers that just connect directly to
the output of the sound card.

The reason that I ask is because I have an extra set of speakers which
are *much*, *much* better than my computer speakers (isn't
everything?), but no spare stero system, receiver, amp, or otherwise.

Is there no-way that I can directly connect the speakers to the
"line-out" or "speakers" output of the sound card?

Is it just a matter of different connectors on the ends, or is there
something else to it?

Thanks so much.

Hugh,
Andrew Chesters

Hugh Cowan wrote:
[...]

Your speakers will have an impedance of 4-18 Ohms (probably 8), and the
output of the PC is designed for probably 10000 Ohms. This means in
short (and I am simplifying) that so much current will be drawn that
bits of the soundcard would be trashed. Even if this were not the case,
a soundcard could not deliver enough signal to drive unpowered speakers.

Sorry!

Andrew Chesters wrote:
Hugh Cowan wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me (or point me in a
specific direction), why it seems to me that you cannot hook-up

stereo
speakers directly to your computer (ie: connect to the sound card).

Your speakers will have an impedance of 4-18 Ohms (probably 8), and

the
output of the PC is designed for probably 10000 Ohms. This means in
short (and I am simplifying)

Yes, you are, to the point of being wrong.

that so much current will be drawn that
bits of the soundcard would be trashed.

In a word, no.

The sound card CAN'T supply "so much current." As you inferred,
it's output impedane is high enough that it's simply not capable
of doing so.

Basically, "bit's of the soundcard" WON'T be trashed.

The problem is simply this: the outputs of these sound card simply
do not have the current capability of driving speakers. At most,
they can supply but a few milliamps before running into current
limiting, and that's just not enough to driver a pair of speakers.

Even if this were not the case,

Which it isn't.

a soundcard could not deliver enough signal to drive
unpowered speakers.

That's a different story altogether, and one a bit closer
to physical reality.

Sorry!

Yes, I would say.

Arny Krueger

"Hugh Cowan" wrote in message
om
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me (or point me in a
specific direction), why it seems to me that you cannot hook-up stereo
speakers directly to your computer (ie: connect to the sound card).

There have been such things as sound cards that had built in power amps that
were capable of maybe a watt or two. When powered PC speakers became the
trend, this feature largely disappeared.

I have seen numerous posts that indicate you must connect the computer
to the stereo, and not the speakers themselves (though the line-in,
AUX, etc.. connections).

....unless the speakers have built in amplification.

But, I have a set of computer speakers that just connect directly to
the output of the sound card.

They probabaly have built-in amplifiers.

Or, you have one of the few sound cards that have built in power amplifiers.

The reason that I ask is because I have an extra set of speakers which
are *much*, *much* better than my computer speakers (isn't
everything?), but no spare stero system, receiver, amp, or otherwise.

Ever hear of spending money to get good sound? If not, let me be the first
to point it out to you. Several of us have been known to do this from time
to time. ;-)

Is there no-way that I can directly connect the speakers to the
"line-out" or "speakers" output of the sound card?

Whip out some plastic or cash and do the audiophile thing.

Is it just a matter of different connectors on the ends, or is there
something else to it?

It's a matter of the signal the speakers require as compared to the signal
that the sound card puts out. Basic interfacing.

Jerry G.

Your sound card has to have amplified speakers. Your sound card puts out too
low a signal level to directly drive speakers.

A number of years back, before amplified speakers were very popular, there
were a few models of sound cards that had a one or two watt amplifier on
board. This was for a limited time only, and the speakers that it would be
able to drive were very limited.

If you want some good sound, you are going to have t spend some good money
to have it. There are some very nice amplified speakers around. The other
choice is to buy a descent stereo amplifier, and a descent set of speakers.
You can go to an audio file type shop and make some choices, according to
the quality you are willing to pay for.

The bottom line is you are going to get what you pay for.

--

Jerry G.
======

"Hugh Cowan" wrote in message
[...]

Alex Rodriguez

says...

Hello,
I was wondering if someone could explain to me (or point me in a
specific direction), why it seems to me that you cannot hook-up stereo
speakers directly to your computer (ie: connect to the sound card).

Power. You need power to drive speakers. Most sounds cards don't put
out enough power to drive your speakers.

I have seen numerous posts that indicate you must connect the computer
to the stereo, and not the speakers themselves (though the line-in,
AUX, etc.. connections).

Correct.

But, I have a set of computer speakers that just connect directly to
the output of the sound card.

Those computer speakers usually have their own built in amplifiers, which
is why they require a power pack that plugs into an outlet.

The reason that I ask is because I have an extra set of speakers which
are *much*, *much* better than my computer speakers (isn't
everything?), but no spare stero system, receiver, amp, or otherwise.

You either stick with the crappy computer speakers or get a reciever to
run them. If you look around you should be able to get a used stereo
reciever for $20, maybe less, that could run your speakers. You would
also end up with a radio, which may be a nice addition to have. You could
also run the reviever with out turning on your computer.

Is there no-way that I can directly connect the speakers to the
"line-out" or "speakers" output of the sound card?

No.

Is it just a matter of different connectors on the ends, or is there
something else to it?

No.
Alex