Default Attaching speakers to computer

I want to attach a pair of Genelec powered monitors or an amplifier and
speakers to my PC computer. How should I do it? Can I attach a them through
the headphone jack?
Thanks,
R.

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 19:50:00 GMT, "R" wrote:

I want to attach a pair of Genelec powered monitors or an amplifier and
speakers to my PC computer. How should I do it? Can I attach a them through
the headphone jack?

You could, but it won't sound very good :-)

Find a socket marked Line Out. If there isn't one, your computer's
sound system is seriously crap. Spend a tiny amount of money on a
basic sound card.
Arny Krueger

"R" wrote in message

I want to attach a pair of Genelec powered monitors or an amplifier
and speakers to my PC computer. How should I do it? Can I attach a
them through the headphone jack?

Which of the at least two headphone jacks are you referring to?

If you mean the green jack, then yes.

Pooh Bear

R wrote:

I want to attach a pair of Genelec powered monitors or an amplifier and
speakers to my PC computer. How should I do it? Can I attach a them through
the headphone jack?

The concept of connecting Genelecs via anything as horrible as a 3.5mm
mini-jack makes me cringe.

Just make sure you don't connect it to the output that uses the truly horrible
internal power amp - you'll want line out - *not* speaker out - which is where
your headphones may be connected.

Graham

Arny Krueger

"R" wrote in message

Thanks for the replies.
Will I be able to get reasonably good sound if I use the green Jack?

Let's put it this way - its your best choice.

The sound quality depends on the circuitry in the PC that drives the green
jack. YMMV.

"R" wrote in message

I want to attach a pair of Genelec powered monitors or an amplifier
and speakers to my PC computer. How should I do it? Can I attach a
them through the headphone jack?

Which of the at least two headphone jacks are you referring to?

If you mean the green jack, then yes.

Arny Krueger

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

R wrote:

I want to attach a pair of Genelec powered monitors or an amplifier
and speakers to my PC computer. How should I do it? Can I attach a
them through the headphone jack?

The concept of connecting Genelecs via anything as horrible as a 3.5mm
mini-jack makes me cringe.

A 3.5 mm jack in good operating condition is objectively a fine connection
for line-level signals. If you wired them like a TRS jack, they would do an
equally good job of passing signals at the required voltages and impedances.

The whole problem with 3.5 mm jacks is that they are fragile, and so many of
them are broken.

I *fearlessly* predict that sooner or later someone will come out with a
heavy duty solid *titanium* (or equivalent) 3.5 mm plug and jack, for use
on high end portable digital players. It will be rigged enough to double as
a chassis punch! ;-)

Arny Krueger

"R" wrote in message

By the way,
What does YMMV mean?

Your Milage May Vary - a reference to a caveat placed on the EPA gas economy
stats for new cars.

Pooh Bear

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

R wrote:

I want to attach a pair of Genelec powered monitors or an amplifier
and speakers to my PC computer. How should I do it? Can I attach a
them through the headphone jack?

The concept of connecting Genelecs via anything as horrible as a 3.5mm
mini-jack makes me cringe.

A 3.5 mm jack in good operating condition is objectively a fine connection
for line-level signals. If you wired them like a TRS jack, they would do an
equally good job of passing signals at the required voltages and impedances.

The contacts tend to be rather flimsy ( low pressure ) though and prone to
creating noise / intermittency if you as much as 'nudge' the lead.

The fact that most 3.5mm mini-jacks are of are *decidedly* consumer or even
'sub-consumer' manufacturing quality is noteworthy. Especially those on PC
sounds cards IME.

The whole problem with 3.5 mm jacks is that they are fragile, and so many of
them are broken.

That doesn't help.

I *fearlessly* predict that sooner or later someone will come out with a
heavy duty solid *titanium* (or equivalent) 3.5 mm plug and jack, for use
on high end portable digital players. It will be rigged enough to double as
a chassis punch! ;-)

Neutrik ?

Graham