Tom Niesytto

Default recommended audio card/software for computer recording?

Howdy,
I want to setup my computer for multitrack recording.
I have 2.8GHz/512MB RAM/120GB HD machine that I am putting
together now. Can somebody recommend a soundcard that would
allow both mutitrack recording and good MIDI playback and
some software for mixing it all (Cubase? ProTools?).

I asked the same question on jazz guiter NG and got following
suggestions for hardware and softwa
m-audio firewire 410 + sonar
Terratec DMX 6fire + Cool Edit

Is there a big performance gain from using FireWire vs.
USB based devices like eg. Tascam US-428?
Does anybody know how good is the version of Cubase that
come bundled with Tascam?

Thanks.

JT