Diane

Default newbie looking for proper newsgroup to help me with

I am a newbie at audio stuff. I am looking for the right newsgroup (or
links, or books suggestions) so I can learn about Sound Forge, and/or
cutting, changing formats, etc.

The manual for Sound Forge is ok for HOW, but I would like to know WHY so I
can understand. I also would like to connect my computer and amp, but need
basic instructions.

Any suggestions where I should start?

Thanks
Diane

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 02 May 2004 22:27:51 GMT, "Diane" wrote:

I am a newbie at audio stuff. I am looking for the right newsgroup (or
links, or books suggestions) so I can learn about Sound Forge, and/or
cutting, changing formats, etc.

The manual for Sound Forge is ok for HOW, but I would like to know WHY so I
can understand. I also would like to connect my computer and amp, but need
basic instructions.

Any suggestions where I should start?

You'd better tell us what you want to do. As you say, HOW is easy.
Only you can tell us WHY :-)

Your computer has a Line Out and Line In socket (hopefully). Line
Out feeds audio to a Line In on an external amp. Any input on a
hi-fi amp except one specifically labled (for a record player) will
do. Line In is for input to the computer. Feed it from a socket
labled Aux Out, Record Out or Tape Out. The most common type of lead
is a stereo 3.5mm minijack to 2 X rca plugs. Commonly called a
Soundcard Cable, it is widely available.

Diane

You'd better tell us what you want to do. As you say, HOW is easy.
Only you can tell us WHY :-)

Your computer has a Line Out and Line In socket (hopefully). Line
Out feeds audio to a Line In on an external amp. Any input on a
hi-fi amp except one specifically labled (for a record player) will
do. Line In is for input to the computer. Feed it from a socket
labled Aux Out, Record Out or Tape Out. The most common type of lead
is a stereo 3.5mm minijack to 2 X rca plugs. Commonly called a
Soundcard Cable, it is widely available.

Thanks Laurence.

I am pretty computer savvy, but I have never understood my stereo
equipment - lines in and out and such. I know, I know, but that's just the
way it is.

I have a Yamaha amp with lots of jacks on the back.

The stereo equipment is in one room and the computer is at the other end of
the house. I can't really get them any closer. I appreciate your
explanation of the jacks etc. I'll ask at the stereo store or Radio shack
for such a cable. How long could it be? Does the signal degrade over
length?

What I am trying to accomplish are the following:

1. d/l spoken word mp3 from the internet - done OK
2. shorten or alter mp3 for use in English as a second language class.
3. when I alter it and try to save it as an mp3 again, Sound Forge says I
must resample or speed will be altered. I don't want speed altered, but
don't understand how to find out what # to resample to keep the speed the
same.
4. burn to CD to be played on portable mp3 player in class (done OK)
5. record my own spoken voice from my computer (I have a microphone but the
sound is very very low)
6. copy mp3 and recorded spoken voice to a cassette tape (I have recorder
on my stereo)
7. record to my computer from my amp - radio

These are some of the things I need to learn to do. I would read about
them, if I knew where to start. I guess I should just make friends with
some guy who knows

Laurence Payne

On Sun, 02 May 2004 22:58:27 GMT, "Diane" wrote:

I am pretty computer savvy, but I have never understood my stereo
equipment - lines in and out and such. I know, I know, but that's just the
way it is.

I have a Yamaha amp with lots of jacks on the back.

The stereo equipment is in one room and the computer is at the other end of
the house. I can't really get them any closer. I appreciate your
explanation of the jacks etc. I'll ask at the stereo store or Radio shack
for such a cable. How long could it be? Does the signal degrade over
length?

You COULD run a long cable. Line level can survive a pretty long run.
You'll find it frustrating and difficult recording from/to the other
end of the house! If recording is what you do, everything really
needs to be in the same place. Maybe a cheap hi-fi system could be
bought to live with your computer? It doesn't sound as if ultimate
hi-fi quality is needed. Or just move Hi-Fi and computer together.
It seems to be what you need. What's stopping you? Not your house?

What I am trying to accomplish are the following:

1. d/l spoken word mp3 from the internet - done OK
2. shorten or alter mp3 for use in English as a second language class.
3. when I alter it and try to save it as an mp3 again, Sound Forge says I
must resample or speed will be altered. I don't want speed altered, but
don't understand how to find out what # to resample to keep the speed the
same.

Are these downloaded files low quality/sample rate? I guess this may
be acceptable for spoken word. I imagine your MP3 player requires
standard 44.1KHz sample rate.

Where do you get these files? Can you give me a URL so I can look at
one?

4. burn to CD to be played on portable mp3 player in class (done OK)
5. record my own spoken voice from my computer (I have a microphone but the
sound is very very low)

This is where you may need to spend some money. The sort of computer
sound card that comes with the machine typically has a very adequate
Line In and Line Out, but a thoroughly lousy Mic In, designed only for
voice-control headsets and the like. Consider a small external mixer
(Mackie, Behringer) and a quality microphone.

6. copy mp3 and recorded spoken voice to a cassette tape (I have recorder
on my stereo)
7. record to my computer from my amp - radio

These are some of the things I need to learn to do. I would read about
them, if I knew where to start. I guess I should just make friends with
some guy who knows

Or some gal :-)
If you tell us where you are located, maybe you'll get a volunteer.

Diane

You COULD run a long cable. Line level can survive a pretty long run.
You'll find it frustrating and difficult recording from/to the other
end of the house! If recording is what you do, everything really
needs to be in the same place. Maybe a cheap hi-fi system could be
bought to live with your computer? It doesn't sound as if ultimate
hi-fi quality is needed. Or just move Hi-Fi and computer together.
It seems to be what you need. What's stopping you? Not your house?

Yes, my mean old house won't let me move my equipment!! I"ll consider
moving things around. But first I need to get to the stereo store for that
double ended jack/cord thing.

What I am trying to accomplish are the following:

1. d/l spoken word mp3 from the internet - done OK
2. shorten or alter mp3 for use in English as a second language class.
3. when I alter it and try to save it as an mp3 again, Sound Forge says

must resample or speed will be altered. I don't want speed altered, but
don't understand how to find out what # to resample to keep the speed the
same.

Are these downloaded files low quality/sample rate? I guess this may
be acceptable for spoken word. I imagine your MP3 player requires
standard 44.1KHz sample rate.

Where do you get these files? Can you give me a URL so I can look at
one?

I retreive them from Tem Internet files:

http://engtap.greatnow.com/ - say cheese

I downloaded this one and the quality is not so hot, but sufficient for my
use.

http://www.voanews.com/SpecialEnglis...400C4-251C-44A
5-B4C6656DFF6814DA&title=HEALTH%20REPORT%20%96%20Stu dies%20Show%20Ginger%20M
ay%20Ease%20Stomach%20Sickness%20During%20Pregnanc y&catOID=45C9C786-88AD-11D
4-A57200A0CC5EE46C&categoryname=Health%20%26%20Medic ine

Any of the special English downloads. They all seem to be the same. The
quality is better, but the trouble occurs when I try to cut it up to use
just the beginning. That's when I get asked to resample. If I just save
the whole thing, it works fine after I burn it and play it in the mp3
player. Same with the 'say cheese' one above. They work fine as is - I
just need to alter them sometimes becuase they are too long for my students.

4. burn to CD to be played on portable mp3 player in class (done OK)
5. record my own spoken voice from my computer (I have a microphone but

the
sound is very very low)

OK, I can probably live without this right now. There's lots of material I
can use from the web till I get more equipment.

Or some gal :-)
If you tell us where you are located, maybe you'll get a volunteer.

I live in London, Ontario, Canada.

Thanks for all your help so far. I'll get the cord and read more in the
manual of SoundForge.

Diane

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 03 May 2004 02:16:01 GMT, "Diane" wrote:

You COULD run a long cable. Line level can survive a pretty long run.
You'll find it frustrating and difficult recording from/to the other
end of the house! If recording is what you do, everything really
needs to be in the same place. Maybe a cheap hi-fi system could be
bought to live with your computer? It doesn't sound as if ultimate
hi-fi quality is needed. Or just move Hi-Fi and computer together.
It seems to be what you need. What's stopping you? Not your house?

Yes, my mean old house won't let me move my equipment!! I"ll consider
moving things around. But first I need to get to the stereo store for that
double ended jack/cord thing.

I meant: do you not own the house? Others might rate "tidiness" over
utility :-)

You'll need the cable plus a l-o-n-g extension. You might need to
buy a reel of screened cable and ask someone to make it up as a rca
extension. You'll get advised that a long extension won't work well,
and offered more expensive solutions. They're right - you MAY pick
up too much noise. But try. Or just bite the bullet and put
everything in the same place. You could move it all back a dozen
times for the same time and trouble as making a long extension. And
it's the real answer, for what you want to do.

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 03 May 2004 02:16:01 GMT, "Diane" wrote:

Any of the special English downloads. They all seem to be the same. The
quality is better, but the trouble occurs when I try to cut it up to use
just the beginning. That's when I get asked to resample. If I just save
the whole thing, it works fine after I burn it and play it in the mp3
player. Same with the 'say cheese' one above. They work fine as is - I
just need to alter them sometimes becuase they are too long for my students.

4. burn to CD to be played on portable mp3 player in class (done OK)
5. record my own spoken voice from my computer (I have a microphone but

the
sound is very very low)

OK. The sample you pointed me to is at 22.05KHz sample rate. I'm
not sure why SF is insisting on a resample only after you make edits.
But, if you want to save it as a standard 44.1KHz sample, the resample
function is in the Process menu. Choose a rate of 44100 and press
the button.

You can only save it as what it IS. Put a label on a 22.05KHz sample
saying "this is 44.1KHz", it will play back twice too fast. You
don't want this, so resample. Fair enough.

Laurence Payne

On Mon, 03 May 2004 02:16:01 GMT, "Diane" wrote:

If you tell us where you are located, maybe you'll get a volunteer.

I live in London, Ontario, Canada.

Wrong London :-) If you were in the original one, I'd offer to
help.

Diane

But you've helped lots and lots already. I think I finally have enough
background info to really start learning. Thanks so much. I'm off today to
get that cable and will call a friend to help me re-organize my house
(computer and desk and books and CD's take up a whole room - I don't really
want all that in my living room just to get the computer near the stereo, so
I have some thinking to do).

Wrong London! I live in baby, reflected London. We have an Oxford St. a
St. Pauls, a Blackfriars Bridge, Thames River, on and on. It's like the
English who came here first didn't have any imagination at all - just named
things from home. I don't mean to be insulting to the English, but I didn't
realize how many streets and things are named for London, England until I
visited there and then I saw how odd my own little London is.