Chris Whealy

Default Updated acoustics calculation spreadsheet

For those who are interested, I have updated my spreadsheet that will
calculate the basic acoustic properties of a rectilinear room.

Please visit http://www.rmmpnet.org/members/ChrisW/index.html for more
details.

I have had a couple of people compare the figures generated by my
spreadsheet with those generated from other software, and then comment
that there are "significant" differences.

Having looked at their calculations, the differences are usually due to
people selecting surface materials based on the description, and
assuming that therefore the absorption coefficients must be the same.

This is not the case!

Different organisations can perform absorption tests on the same
materials and come up with different values. This doesn't make one
organisation's figures right, and the others wrong; it just means that
for the measurement environment used by that particular organisation,
these are the figures they obtained.

This is why I have both quoted the source for all the absorption values
used in the spreadsheet, and made spaces on sheet "Absorption
Coefficients" for you to enter your own values.

Regards

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
but the words of the wise are quiet and few.

Bert Kraaijpoel

Chris Whealy wrote:
[...]

I just had a quick glance at your spreadsheet(s). It is quite
impressive. I like for instance the figure with room ratios for minimum
bass resonance
and what is nice too: it works on my apple G4 (with Office for OS X)!

kind regards
Bert Kraaijpoel

Chris Whealy

Bert Kraaijpoel wrote:
I just had a quick glance at your spreadsheet(s). It is quite
impressive. I like for instance the figure with room ratios for minimum
bass resonance
and what is nice too: it works on my apple G4 (with Office for OS X)!

kind regards
Bert Kraaijpoel

Hi Bert,

I have never used a Mac in my life, but I'm glad to hear it works for
you. Bonus!

Chris W

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
but the words of the wise are quiet and few.

Paul Sc.

The spreadsheet is really cool. I just started to check the acoustic
properties of my basement (really wanted to see where should I move the new
piano).

BTW - I enabled macros on Excel but I get some errors unfortuantely.

Thanks, Paul

"Chris Whealy" wrote in message
[...]

Rich.Andrews

"Paul Sc." wrote in news:c6surn$2klm$1
@news.wplus.net:

The spreadsheet is really cool. I just started to check the acoustic
properties of my basement (really wanted to see where should I move the new
piano).

BTW - I enabled macros on Excel but I get some errors unfortuantely.

Thanks, Paul

Selecting feet or meters on the first page causes a rather nasty error
message and throws me into a debuggger for VB.

Chris Whealy

Rich.Andrews wrote:
Selecting feet or meters on the first page causes a rather nasty error
message and throws me into a debuggger for VB.

I do not get these errors when using the Office XP version. What errors
are you getting, and what version of Excel are you using?

If you could save the spreadsheet in its error state, then zip it up and
send it to me I'll take a look at it.

I build this using the Offce XP version of Excel and simply exported it
in the Excel 97 and 95 formats. I do not actually have these versions
of Excel myself, so I hope the error is not caused by the export process.

Chris

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
but the words of the wise are quiet and few.

P. Chamney

There is a missing Active X control, which you can find under 'Tools-
References' in the VBA window - marked 'missing':
IDSGraphic ActiveX Control
(Under Office 2000 for me/using the '97 ver.)

PC

I build this using the Offce XP version of Excel and simply exported it
in the Excel 97 and 95 formats. I do not actually have these versions
of Excel myself, so I hope the error is not caused by the export process.

Chris

Paul Sc.

I am using Office 2003. I get some "undefined module" error or something
like this.

BTW - these errors are not really related with the main functionality. If I
can give a suggestion, eventually you can prepare a similar spreadsheet with
the macros removed...

Rich.Andrews wrote:
Selecting feet or meters on the first page causes a rather nasty error
message and throws me into a debuggger for VB.

I do not get these errors when using the Office XP version. What errors
are you getting, and what version of Excel are you using?

If you could save the spreadsheet in its error state, then zip it up and
send it to me I'll take a look at it.

I build this using the Offce XP version of Excel and simply exported it
in the Excel 97 and 95 formats. I do not actually have these versions
of Excel myself, so I hope the error is not caused by the export process.

Chris

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
but the words of the wise are quiet and few.

Rich.Andrews

"Paul Sc." wrote in news:c6vds7$2mqq$1
@news.wplus.net:

I am using Office 2003. I get some "undefined module" error or something
like this.

Compile error
Can't find project or library.

Module1 - Sub doButtonChange(sb As SpinButton, r As Range, f As Integer
Sub doButtonChange(sb As SpinButton, r As Range, f As Integer

Of course this means nothing if it can't be replicated.

Rich.Andrews wrote:
Selecting feet or meters on the first page causes a rather nasty

error
message and throws me into a debuggger for VB.

I do not get these errors when using the Office XP version. What errors
are you getting, and what version of Excel are you using?

If you could save the spreadsheet in its error state, then zip it up

and
send it to me I'll take a look at it.

I build this using the Offce XP version of Excel and simply exported it
in the Excel 97 and 95 formats. I do not actually have these versions
of Excel myself, so I hope the error is not caused by the export

process.

Chris

--
The voice of ignorance speaks loud and long,
but the words of the wise are quiet and few.

Chris Whealy

Moose wrote:
I got the same error that the reference/component was not found in
doButtonChange(). The fix is to comment out those lines that refer
to this as all this does is update the field when it changes using the
scroll button. It will still work as you change the values and leave
the cell.

It would be nice to have the object though.

...Moose

OK, the problem seems to be that the export to Excel 97 (and possibly
Excel 95) results in the subroutine doButtonChange() not being
recognised. Since this subroutine is used by every spin button on every
sheet in the file, I put it in a global module. This is what Excel 97
can't find.

As Moose pointed out, the spreadsheet still works if you type the values
directly into the fields, but it is far less convenient - which is why I
put the spin buttons there in the first place!

Since I don't have Excel 97 or 95 installed, I'll have to de-optimise
the coding, and make doButtonChange() a local subroutine within each sheet.

I'll call this version 2.61. Please let me know if it solves the problem.

Regards

Chris W