El Meda

Default HELP! Hafler DH-200 misbehaving!

"Colin B." wrote:

Try disconnecting the driver transistors of the bad channel, and
measuring (with the DC Volts scale of your DMM) if there is DC on the
speaker terminals. If it's not, then probably the output transistors
are in good shape, and the trouble may be cheaper to repair.

On the bad channel with no output transistors, I'm measuring -0.5VDC
output. That's pretty substantial. I measured the output with the
transistors in place, and it was sitting at -20VDC!

Next steps? It looks like the transistors might be OK.

Colin

The driver transistors that I was talking about weren't the output
transistors, but the smaller transistors that are connected to them.

With the output transistors in place disconnect the smaller ones,
power on the amplifier, and check for DC on the speaker terminals. If
there is not DC, then the output transistors are probably OK.

Even If the output transistors are good, check the disconnected
drivers. Check in circuit (with the amplifier turned off) also every
diode and Zener on the bad channel, and every resistance of less than
1 Kohm. Check in circuit the even smaller transistors for short
circuits. Disconnect and test off-circuit everything suspicious.

Change the bad ones.
---
Ing. Remberto Gomez-Meda
http://ingemeda.tripod.com/
INGE - Ingenieria Electronica.
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico.
Colin B.

El Meda wrote:

The driver transistors that I was talking about weren't the output
transistors, but the smaller transistors that are connected to them.

Argh! I can't even read. Where you said driver, I read output; and then
interpreted the rest of your post with that misinterpretation.

Anyways...

With the output transistors in place disconnect the smaller ones,
power on the amplifier, and check for DC on the speaker terminals. If
there is not DC, then the output transistors are probably OK.

Will do this over the weekend. I'm visiting the parents, so my dad
gets to help out on this one. :-)

Even If the output transistors are good, check the disconnected
drivers. Check in circuit (with the amplifier turned off) also every
diode and Zener on the bad channel, and every resistance of less than
1 Kohm. Check in circuit the even smaller transistors for short
circuits. Disconnect and test off-circuit everything suspicious.

Thanks! I'll post with updates after the weekend.

Colin

"Colin B." wrote:

El Meda wrote:

[...]

Q9 is a common weakness in this amp. It is part of the Vbe circuit that
controls the bias setting. Replace this transistor. Most any garden variety
NP2222 is OK, even an NPN from Radio Shack. Without a Variac your struggle
is probably not going to be successful, however.

lid wrote:

"Colin B." wrote:

El Meda wrote:

[...]

Also, you have to understand that the most frequent problem with these DH-200
amps is DC offset, caused by imbalances amongst the 4 input differential amp
transistors. The NPN Q1/Q2 pair must be hFe matched within 10% or less. Ditto
for the PNP Q5/Q6 pair. The DH-220 included a small DC nulling circuit and
there is a mod for the DH-200 to add a simpler version of it. I have installed
a DC nulling circuit to two DH-200 amps and got DC offset down to less than 5
mV.

Driver transistors fail and output MOSFETs fail (rarely) but I would look
further upstream for your solution -- at least to begin with.

Dick

Robert Gault wrote:

lid wrote:
snip
Also, you have to understand that the most frequent problem with these DH-200
amps is DC offset, caused by imbalances amongst the 4 input differential amp
transistors. The NPN Q1/Q2 pair must be hFe matched within 10% or less. Ditto
for the PNP Q5/Q6 pair. The DH-220 included a small DC nulling circuit and
there is a mod for the DH-200 to add a simpler version of it. I have installed
a DC nulling circuit to two DH-200 amps and got DC offset down to less than 5
mV.
snip
Dick

Dick,

Could you send me a circuit diagram for this DC nulling mod for the
DH-200 by e-mail?

The DH-200 DC nulling circuit was described by Walt Jung in The Audio Amateur 1/83,
page 56. It is simple and mounts nicely in the circuit card by drilling 3 small holes
with a wire gauge drill (like for drilling holes in a PCB).

Just attach a 100Kohm pot between the two power supply rails and feed the output of
its wiper through a 2 megohm resistor to where R3 (or R3) touches the input trace. I
used a miniture 1/2 Watt multi-turn cermet variable resistor. I suppose a small film
cap across the legs of the pot would be a good idea and will do this soon and give it
an "ear" test. This little circuit solves a bunch of problems and I don't know why
more people don't use it. It is not a destructive mod, just a simple add-on.

The pot allows inserting through the 2 meg ohm resistor a very small "sample" of
either + or - voltage to the amp's input. I've seen more than one schematic for other
amps that routinely do the same thing.

Hope this helps. Spread the word!

Dick

Colin B.

lid wrote:
lid wrote:

[...]

Well well well.

This weekend, we pulled and tested Q9. Sure enough, it was fried. One of
the leads from the power supply to the amp board itself was also broken
(cold solder joint, and melted insulation), so we fixed that.

The result? Success! Sweet, blissful music again! For about two hours,
after which it blew up again. This time it took the speaker output fuse
with it.

So it's not so much a question of Q9 failing, as much as something killing
Q9. Back to the schematics. Sigh.

Colin

Rich Andrews.

"Colin B." wrote in news:4070eb79
@news.nucleus.com:

lid wrote:
lid wrote:

[...]

Time for an oscilloscope I would say. I would check all of the resistors
around Q9 and any preceding drive stages.

Dick West

"Colin B." wrote:

lid wrote:
lid wrote:

[...]

I doubt anything Killed Q9. Read my previous comments (above) about the 4 input
transistors that make up the input differential amp. Did you monitor this channel for
DC offset? You must do this. DC offset will blow the speaker output fuse (to protect
the amp and speaker against the high DC offset). You must get your DC offset to be
less than 50 mV. Note that DC offset can change as the amp warms up.

AlsoI think you need to use a Variac and do some routine and tedious checking of
voltages, especially around these 4 input transistors. Check their voltages around
their CBE points. You need to correct the DC offset problem which is probably caused
by one of these 4 transistors not matching its mate. The oscillosope stuff can come
later to ferret out sneaky little problems with waveform analysis and distortion. It
is possible that a high frequency oscillation may be stressing the output fuses, but
I would first check those 4 transistors. Remember, they must be used in pairs matched
for hFe, else DC offset results. Unless you install the little circuit I described in
another previous message here.

My comments are based on lots of experience fixing these amps.................

Dick

John A. Weeks III

In article , Dick West
wrote:

I would first check those 4 transistors. Remember, they must be used in pairs
matched
for hFe, else DC offset results.

Did the original poster ever remove the MOSFET's from the unit. If
so, were they put back in exactly the same place? If not, it is
possible that the matched sets were mismatched in the process.
That would be enough to cause the problem that Dick is talking about.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

"John A. Weeks III" wrote:

In article , Dick West
wrote:

I would first check those 4 transistors. Remember, they must be used in pairs
matched
for hFe, else DC offset results.

Did the original poster ever remove the MOSFET's from the unit. If
so, were they put back in exactly the same place? If not, it is
possible that the matched sets were mismatched in the process.
That would be enough to cause the problem that Dick is talking about.

-john-

John, if I recall parts of this thread correctly, the OP said that he also found
one of the DC power supply wires to the circuit card was not attached. Obviously,
this would cause a huge set of problems such as he described.

Now, we do know that the two N-channel MOSFETs on a channel must be matched on Vge
within 10%, which is why each MOSFET is marked with the Hafler grading number.
Ditto for the P-channel MOSFETs. These devices are not the same 4 to which I
referred. I referred to the 4 input differential amp circuit on the circuit card
which must be matched, not the 4 MOSFETs attached to the heatsink.

Let's wait to hear more from the OP before making anymore guesses about what is
wrong. Besides, without the use of a Variac his efforts are probably doomed to
failure.

Dick