Mike S.

Default REQ: Help/advice with plain-jane amp

Hi,

The house I just moved into (my first real house! :^) has a whole-
house speaker system. I noticed that the previous owner had a
CD-changer + a small standalone amp in a closet to feed the system.

I'd like to do something similar, but I've never seen a small
standalone amp like that for a reasonable price (I have seen the
mono-block mega $$$ amps in the magazines) -- admittedly, I don't
follow home audio stuff real closely, though, because until now,
I've always lived in townhomes where I couldn't turn anything up.

Anyway, I'm here to see what you pros would recommend that I look
at to drive a whole-house system (smallish speakers - maybe 5.25"
in each room run through a splitter system presumably to keep the
impedance correct). I'm not looking for anything loud or powerful,
but something that:

1) Small (fit on a shelf in a closet - about 5 inches high).
2) Cheap (ie. less than a cheapie receiver?)
3) Low-power on my electric bill since it would be on 24/7.
4) Takes L/R RCA input from CD-changer and amps it - nothing more.

Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks much!
Mike
Mike S.

Mark wrote:
The big question is whether or not the "splitter system" you
mention has been done correctly. As long as it has, any
inexpensive receiver that is rated for a 4 Ohm output will
work just fine.

The splitter is a "Jamo ZI-8" -- dunno how "good" that is, but
what little info I've found real quickly says it's impedance
matched, overload protected, etc.

I figured that I might be able to get a very small/cheap
receiver, but I was open to "new ideas" in case there was
something out there that I was unaware of ;^) Sound like
the receiver is the route to go -- now I just need to find
one that won't chew-up too much power with it being on 24/7
(perhaps I'm being paranoid about this, but my main receiver
is a class A/B and is rated at 390W consumption, of which,
I'm unsure how much is used when the thing is just sitting
there playing at low volume. Yeah, I'm cheap, but I don't
want to bloat my electric bills any more than they already
are with all of my computers and other gadgets running all
the time. I'm not anal about it -- just want to make the
best choice...)

Thanks,
Mike
Laurence Payne

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:59:39 GMT, "Mike S." wrote:

I figured that I might be able to get a very small/cheap
receiver, but I was open to "new ideas" in case there was
something out there that I was unaware of ;^) Sound like
the receiver is the route to go -- now I just need to find
one that won't chew-up too much power with it being on 24/7
(perhaps I'm being paranoid about this, but my main receiver
is a class A/B and is rated at 390W consumption, of which,
I'm unsure how much is used when the thing is just sitting
there playing at low volume. Yeah, I'm cheap, but I don't
want to bloat my electric bills any more than they already
are with all of my computers and other gadgets running all
the time. I'm not anal about it -- just want to make the
best choice...)

Power bills aren't going to go down. A lot of us are taking a hard
look at how much all that equipment on "stand-by", all those
wall-warts etc. are costing us. The answer can be quite frightening
:-)

Personally, I think inescapable music all over my house is a horrible
concept. It would be like living in a shopping mall.
Mike S.

Laurence Payne wrote:
Power bills aren't going to go down. A lot of us are taking a hard
look at how much all that equipment on "stand-by", all those
wall-warts etc. are costing us. The answer can be quite frightening
:-)

True! No reason to hand-over any more of my paycheck
to the bills than necessary, IMO!

Personally, I think inescapable music all over my house is a horrible
concept. It would be like living in a shopping mall.

Fortunately, each room has a volume knob (more of a switch
than a pot) and you can turn if off/whatever for any given
room to match what suits your mood. If it was on all the
time, I'd be of the same opinion as you, but with being
able to selectively enjoy background tunes (or even on the
back patio), I think it will be worth a minor expenditure.

Mike