Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Battery-powered microphone preamplifier?

I need a reasonably good, although not necessarily professional,
battery-powered portable microphone preamplifier so I can record voices
on the line in to an MP3 player. It can have either XLR or eighth inch
inputs (I guess quarter inch could work as well)
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
I need a reasonably good, although not necessarily professional,
battery-powered portable microphone preamplifier so I can record voices
on the line in to an MP3 player. It can have either XLR or eighth inch
inputs (I guess quarter inch could work as well)
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help.

If cheap and limited is okay, take a look at the mx34 from Rolls. 2 in,
two out on a 1/8" jack, runs on two 9v, generates 18v phantom. Cheap.
Let me repeat. Cheap. Don't know what this thing sounds like, but my
experience with Rolls fits your description of "reasonably good...not
necessarily professional". I have a couple of Rolls products in my
box, and while they are a bit cheesy, they do the job they were
designed to do...not great, but not quite horrible either. I wouldn't
want to stake my professional reputation on using them as my primary
recording source gear, but as ancillary client monitor kind of stuff,
or an IFB headphone amp they're ok.

If you want something that is a good piece of gear and will hold its
value, check out the MixPre from Sound Devices. Good mic pres, 2 XLRs
in, 2 out on XLR or 1/8" stereo, real 48v phantom, onboard limiters,
tone generator, strong headphone amp, return line, runs most of the day
on two AA alkalines, built like the proverbial brick ****house. Sound
Devices stands behind its products. Not that Rolls doesn't, but I
believe that SD is obligated to hold to a higher standard.

There's a big difference in price between the two, but also a big
difference in quality and performance. You gets what you pays for.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Kansas City

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Consider looking into a Shure FP-33 mixer, thery are commonly used for
ENG purposes and have nice pres and can use batteries (3- 9volt if I
remember correctly)

They run a few bucks but in my humble opinion they are one of the best
things going.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Cleaver

If you only need one channel without phantom, an old Shure FP11 will
do. Single channel mic to line with gain to burn.
Only one 9v battery and you can clip it on your belt.

On 23 Apr 2006 20:50:07 -0700, wrote:

Consider looking into a Shure FP-33 mixer, thery are commonly used for
ENG purposes and have nice pres and can use batteries (3- 9volt if I
remember correctly)

They run a few bucks but in my humble opinion they are one of the best
things going.

Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Voice-overs, Newscaster, Engineering and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

stephentimko wrote ...
I need a reasonably good, although not necessarily professional,
battery-powered portable microphone preamplifier so I can record
voices
on the line in to an MP3 player. It can have either XLR or eighth inch
inputs (I guess quarter inch could work as well)
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help.

http://www.beachtek.com/dxa10.html was designed
specifically for this application.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
I need a reasonably good, although not necessarily
professional, battery-powered portable microphone
preamplifier so I can record voices on the line in to an
MP3 player. It can have either XLR or eighth inch inputs
(I guess quarter inch could work as well)
Any suggestions?

It's bulky but cheap and cheerful:

http://www.behringer.com/MXB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Also apparently discontinued and replaced by:

http://www.behringer.com/UBB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

rolling_thunder55 wrote ...
Looks like this Beachtek box hits the budgetary middle ground between
the Rolls and the MixPre, and looks much stronger than the Rolls
piece.
It's compact, lightweight, has 48v phantom, appears to be well put
together. All that's missing is metering and limiters, but what can a
guy expect for less than $300? If your recorder has a reliable way to
read levels and you're not concerned about needing an onboard limiter,
I'd get this one. If not, I'd bite the bullet and go for the SD
MixPre.

Metering on the external preamp means nothing.
It is metering on the recording device that counts.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

thanks, Arny. This actually looks most promising. I think if I had
hundreds of dollars to spend I'd just get a nice digital recorder and
solve all my problems.
I can get one of these for $100 from B&H.
Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com
I need a reasonably good, although not necessarily
professional, battery-powered portable microphone
preamplifier so I can record voices on the line in to an
MP3 player. It can have either XLR or eighth inch inputs
(I guess quarter inch could work as well)
Any suggestions?

It's bulky but cheap and cheerful:

http://www.behringer.com/MXB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Also apparently discontinued and replaced by:

http://www.behringer.com/UBB1002/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

Richard Crowley wrote:

Metering on the external preamp means nothing.
It is metering on the recording device that counts.

Whazzat?

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Bob Cain" wrote in message
Richard Crowley wrote:

Metering on the external preamp means nothing.
It is metering on the recording device that counts.

Whazzat?

This is so fundamental, I'm not sure this is even a serious question.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Bob Cain" wrote in message
Richard Crowley wrote:

Metering on the external preamp means nothing.
It is metering on the recording device that counts.

Whazzat?

This is so fundamental, I'm not sure this is even a serious question.

The pre-amp meter is calibrated with respect to it's output. Can't you
imagine a reason or two why that meter might be really important?

Most good ones seem to have them for some reason or other and I'd really
appreciate hearing your reasoning for why they shouldn't.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"Bob Cain" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Bob Cain" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

Metering on the external preamp means nothing.
It is metering on the recording device that counts.
Whazzat?

This is so fundamental, I'm not sure this is even a serious question.

The pre-amp meter is calibrated with respect to it's output. Can't
you
imagine a reason or two why that meter might be really important?

Most good ones seem to have them for some reason or other and I'd
really
appreciate hearing your reasoning for why they shouldn't.

The context here is a small, portable, battery operated
preamp and recording device. No question that it would
be nice to have input and output metering on every piece
of audio equipment, but that is a luxury that most of us
can't afford. If I had to choose between metering on the
output of the preamp, and metering on the actual recording
device, I can live without preamp metering. I cannot live
without record device metering. YMMV

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser

I'd look into the Aerco Preamp. It's built into a stompbox sized
indestructible metal box & provides plenty of really quiet gain. Runs
on 9 volt batteries & provides 48 volt Phantom power. No other frills,
but studio quality gain in a field production box. I can't find a
website but the builder is Jerry Chamkis, 512-451-5874, in Austin
Texas.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Zigakly

I'm an owner and fan of the MXB1002 for what it accomplishes in such a small
chassis and on batteries, but for your purposes you must know that it eats
even good 9V alkaline batteries in about an hour, 90 minutes tops. The
preamps are clean, if unflattering, but you're definitely not going to find
better on batteries for less, and it's a nice swiss army knife to have on
the road, in the jam room, and in the studio.