Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Why Low Recording Levels - M-Audio 5.1 Card - Audio Technica Mic

First this, then my problem.

----------------- Computers/Cards/Mics In Use ---------------
Desktop Computer ---
OS: Win XP Professional
Sound Card: M-Audio Revolution 5.1

Laptop Computer:
OS: Win XP Home
Sound Card: Conexant AC-Link Audio

Mic's: Audio-Technica Cardioid ATR20 Low Impedence
Sennheiser MKE 330 Shotgun

Recording Apps (both Desktop and Laptop): Audition 1.5, Windows
Recorder, Goldwave

------ Now my problem ----------

If I plug the Audio Technica mic into my laptop and fire up Audition, I
can record to beat the band. No problems. Great levels. But I don't
want to have to use my laptop for recording.

If I plug it into my Desktop, I've been able to get only barely
perceptable recording levels using Adobe Audition, or seemingly none
using Windows Recorder or Goldwave Why would that be, given that:

1) I have maxed out the record levels setting using the M-Audio
control panel on my desktop, and
2) In the M-Audio control panel, I see recording good levels (-12
dB).

If I see the recording level bars bouncing around -12 in the M-Audio
control panel, why wouldn't Audition, Microsoft Recorder, or Goldwave
get the same thing? I've tried recording using both the Audio-Technica
and Sennheiser MK330 shotgun. Same result.

What am I missing here?

Bob

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thanks. Yes, M-Audio is selected as the input device for Audition and
for the track. The problem remains.

I don't understand why I see recording levels in M-Audio's control
panel but it won't pick up any levels in Audition OR Microsoft's
Windows recorder on the Desktop computer. Because recording works fine
on the laptop, I've taken the Mic out of the equation as a possible
cause of the problem. And because I see adequate recording level bars
bouncing in the M-Audio control panel, I know the M-Audio card is
working okay. I just can't figure out why no app on the Desktop
computer is picking up the record signal.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thanks for your suggestions.

Windows Recorder has the M-Audio Revolution set up as the default
recording device and the MicMonitor is selected and its volume is
turned up (although the slider is greyed out). Next to the MicMonitor
is the Mic/Line slider (not greyed out) but its volume it set to its
highest point and not muted.

The mystery continues.