Posted to rec.audio.tech
jmoeller18 jmoeller18 is offline

Default cassette to mp3 via media center pc

Hello, is it possible to capture a quality signal from a tape deck/rca
line-out through an a/v receiver to line-in on the pc?

Is it better to go from a/v receiver line-out directly to pc and skip
the a/v receiver? This works for me now, however the end result is
that the audio levels when listening in my noisy car is not
sufficient. Do I need to more audacity education?

The situation seems further compounded by the fact the pc is a media
center edition which is connected to the A/V receiver to play video
which comes through on the DVD selection (as a side note I wonder if
this could come through the 5.1 selection instead...)

Thanks! Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"jmoeller18" wrote ...
Hello, is it possible to capture a quality signal from a tape
deck/rca line-out through an a/v receiver to line-in on the pc?

Yes. People do it all the time.

Is it better to go from a/v receiver line-out directly to pc and
skip the a/v receiver? This works for me now,

It likely makes no significant difference for casual
dubbing from your average cassette tapes. I would
not worry about it.

however the end result is that the audio levels when
listening in my noisy car is not sufficient. Do I need
to more audacity education?

Sounds like you simply need to adjust the recording levels
appropriately. Not difficult, but important.

The situation seems further compounded by the fact the
pc is a media center edition which is connected to the A/V
receiver to play video which comes through on the DVD
selection (as a side note I wonder if this could come through
the 5.1 selection instead...)

Not clear what "Media Center Edition" has to do with your
ability to record audio and set recording levels?

Not clear what the video and 5.1 connections have to do
with recording simple stereo audio?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
jmoeller18 jmoeller18 is offline

First of all, is through the receiver better than the tape deck direct
to pc?

Secondly, tape to pc: I am only getting a loud buzzing (using
audacity).
Recording levels are set as low as possible, I am only hearing buzz.
The cassette deck to receiver works fine. The buzz must be coming
after receiver (line from receiver to pc).

Media center isn't playing while i am recording, and the receiver
selection is on tape, however I am wondering about any loop back from
the pc to receiver.

Are there any details i can provide to help debug this problem?

Thanks! Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"jmoeller18" wrote ...
First of all, is through the receiver better than the tape
deck direct to pc?

In theory (and in practice for most of us) there is no
difference between connecting the source directly to
the computer vs. running it through your receiver. This
assumes that you know that the output of your receiver
is working properly.

Secondly, tape to pc: I am only getting a loud buzzing (using
audacity).

Then something is seriously wrong (unless the loud buzz
is recorded on the tape). You may have a bad cable, or
your receiver may not be working as you think it should.
What happens if you connect the tape deck direct?

Or you may not have the proper input selected for
recording in the computer setup. Since you are not only
using Vista, but the dreaded "media center" version, you
will need to find somebody familiar with that OS to help
you. Most of us wouldn't touch Vista (and especially
MCE) with a 10-meter pole.

Recording levels are set as low as possible, I am only
hearing buzz.

You don't need to be concerned about the recording levels
until you resolve the buzz problem.

The cassette deck to receiver works fine. The buzz must
be coming after receiver (line from receiver to pc).

Or *from* the receiver. Or within the computer.

Media center isn't playing while i am recording, and the
receiver selection is on tape, however I am wondering about
any loop back from the pc to receiver.

You didn't reveal what output from the receiver you are
using. Note that if you are using the "Tape Out" (or
equivalent), then it likely has no signal when you have
the "Tape In" source selected. Try using a different input
for the tape deck.

Are there any details i can provide to help debug this
problem?

What output from the receiver you are using.
What make and model receiver you are using.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

jmoeller18 wrote:

Hello, is it possible to capture a quality signal from a tape deck/rca
line-out through an a/v receiver to line-in on the pc?

Yes. Use a dual phono male to minijack stereo cable or a suitable converter.

Is it better to go from a/v receiver line-out directly to pc and skip
the a/v receiver? This works for me now, however the end result is
that the audio levels when listening in my noisy car is not
sufficient.

What you typed is nonsensical, you ask whether the same is better and states
that it doesn't work either way.

Do I need to more audacity education?

Use the cable suggested about, you're troubleshooting, so use the simplest
setup, which is to go from tape deck out to sound card line in.

The situation seems further compounded by the fact the pc is a media
center edition which is connected to the A/V receiver to play video
which comes through on the DVD selection (as a side note I wonder if
this could come through the 5.1 selection instead...)

Can't comment. But please clarify what media center edition sting that got
you? - are you xp'ed or are you vista'ed? - not that I can help you with
either ...

Back on track of your question: once you have recorded the file normalize it
to -1 dB, this is pre-recorded audio so there should be no need to do
anything about the dynamic range.

IF you have the problem that the sound from the tape deck is too loud for
the sound card input THEN a solution MAY BE to use the headphone output
instead, be it on tape deck or on receiver, because it will generally be
adjustable, the advantage of using the headphone output of the tape deck
being that it is independently adjustable.

Thanks! Jeff

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Tomi Holger Engdahl[_2_] Tomi Holger Engdahl[_2_] is offline

"Richard Crowley" writes:

"jmoeller18" wrote ...
[...]

If you have everything mentioned on here correctly
and still have the problem, then one quite common
problem for buzzing noise is "ground loop".
Information how to solve that problem can be found here
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/g...oop/index.html

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/
Posted to rec.audio.tech
jmoeller18 jmoeller18 is offline

thanks to all for help on this thread! i will review soon and share
results/next questions