Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bayou Self Bayou Self is offline

Default cd changer vs. pc

I'm not sure if my question is about Digital Audio Converters or not,
but would a cd played on a pc (to headphones) sound any different than
the same cd played on a Marantz cd changer to a stereo receiver to
'phones?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Bayou Self wrote:

I'm not sure if my question is about Digital Audio Converters or not,
but would a cd played on a pc (to headphones) sound any different than
the same cd played on a Marantz cd changer to a stereo receiver to
'phones?

You ask for a prediction of what differences you are able to hear.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Bayou Self wrote:

I'm not sure if my question is about Digital Audio Converters or not,
but would a cd played on a pc (to headphones) sound any different than
the same cd played on a Marantz cd changer to a stereo receiver to
'phones?

Depends a lot where you plug it in.

The phones socket on computer CD-ROM drives is driven by shockingly
indifferent circuitry.

Would you care to rephrase your question being more precise ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

"Bayou Self" wrote in message
I'm not sure if my question is about Digital Audio Converters or not,
but would a cd played on a pc (to headphones) sound any different than
the same cd played on a Marantz cd changer to a stereo receiver to
'phones?

The analog outputs of most sound cards aren't so great, neither are the
analog audio outputs of computer CD-ROM drives. If you want the sound of a
CD played on your computer to really be equivalent to a decent CD player as
played through the same receiver, use a digital output from the computer to
a D/A converter, and from there to the receiver. There are adequate DAC's
around eBay for less than 100.00. A combination USB audio interface might be
something to look at.

Mark Z.

Sound quality - DVD changer v CD changer BobLeavitt General 8 September 4th 06 09:32 AM
Sound quality - DVD changer v CD changer BobLeavitt Tech 6 September 4th 06 09:32 AM
CD Changer Wisegrl Car Audio 3 March 28th 04 02:36 AM
BSR Changer Greg Lazarchik Tech 0 November 12th 03 12:40 AM
advice on CD player/changer....dvd changer too SLOOOW!!! geo. smiley High End Audio 0 November 10th 03 12:34 AM