Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

I have confirmed that it is the receiver's output that is blown, not the speakee.

Is there anything I can check inside - something hopefully simple as a fuse or thermal breaker?

This is a 20-year old surround sound work horse with plenty inputs for all my analog gear, and replacements are few and far between.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot!
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark Zacharias Mark Zacharias is offline

"Trevor Wilson" wrote in message
On 13/06/2014 12:07 PM, wrote:
JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

I have confirmed that it is the receiver's output that is blown, not the
speakee.

Is there anything I can check inside - something hopefully simple as a
fuse or thermal breaker?

This is a 20-year old surround sound work horse with plenty inputs for
all my analog gear, and replacements are few and far between.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot!

**If the RX-515V is anything like all the other JVC surround sound
recievers, then it will be extremely time-consuming. They were never built
to be repaired. Throw it away.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

The OP is probably out of his league - but I fix this kind of thing all the
time. No problem.

A couple outputs, maybe a resistor or two, sometimes a couple drivers or a
zener diode, etc.

Service info readily available.

Easy.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Mark Z:

This you? http://www.electronicwizards.biz/our-team/
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

On 13/06/2014 12:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

**Like I said, if that model is like all the other JVC ones I've seen,
it has no removable base plate. Disassembly is not only difficult, but
testing after reassembly is challenging. JVC is far from the only offender.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 13/06/2014 12:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

Oh, yeah.

Most makes and models have been like this for at least about the last
fifteen years. Just have had to deal with it.

For example, you could check my Youtube videos "Yamaha RX-V661 Repair Brief"
or Denon AVR-2307CI Repair Brief" to see the common kind of stuff I do.

The JVC models of this type got nothin' on the Yamaha RX-V2400's etc... now
THOSE are challenging for blown channels, but still - the amp sections are
fairly standard on most of these.

It's things like intermittent DC offset on a single channel that cause the
most trouble for me.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:07:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

I have confirmed that it is the receiver's output that is blown, not the speakee.

Is there anything I can check inside - something hopefully simple as a fuse or thermal breaker?

This is a 20-year old surround sound work horse with plenty inputs for all my analog gear, and replacements are few and far between.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot!

I agree with the replace suggestion. While it might have plenty of inputs if you really are using it as a surround sound system and it's that old then there are a number of new audio formats it won't decode. I'm very happy with the current yamahas.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

1:38 wrote:
"I agree with the replace suggestion. While it might have plenty of inputs if you really are using it as a surround sound system and it's that old then there are a number of new audio formats it won't decode. I'm very happy with the current yamahas. "

I most certainly am using it in surround. I also possess a shipload of perfectly operational analog audio & video playback components that would not have a home on most current receivers.

I will unfortunately have to replace it; authorized JVC repair is no longer available for this vintage. I am exploring several options.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:25:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
1:38 wrote:

"I agree with the replace suggestion. While it might have plenty of inputs if you really are using it as a surround sound system and it's that old then there are a number of new audio formats it won't decode. I'm very happy with the current yamahas. "

I most certainly am using it in surround. I also possess a shipload of perfectly operational analog audio & video playback components that would not have a home on most current receivers.

I will unfortunately have to replace it; authorized JVC repair is no longer available for this vintage. I am exploring several options.

You might be using it for surround but it doesn't support any of the newer formats because they didn't exist when it was made.

I'm curious what you consider a "shipload" of analog audio/video equipment that you are using?
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:41:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I'm curious what you consider a "shipload" of analog audio/video equipment that you are using?

____

I'm not going to answer that. Do some research on what folks at home might have been playing music and movies back on 15, 20, 30 years ago.

smh...

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Thursday, June 19, 2014 9:40:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:41:56 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I'm curious what you consider a "shipload" of analog audio/video equipment that you are using?

____

I'm not going to answer that. Do some research on what folks at home might have been playing music and movies back on 15, 20, 30 years ago.

smh...

I was around then so I don't really need to. Just curious how much of it you really needed? Can't you consolidate to fewer formats? Even if you are unwilling to digitize it all, I'm still thinking you can get the count down some. Video is always a choir but it's not so bad to switch to digital for the audio stuff. You can make the case even just based on the fact that analog has a fairly short life expectancy and digital is forever.

Then you could probably support selected pieces of your older gear as well as newer stuff. Another option would be to get an extra analog switch like these http://r.ebay.com/wRs7oZ
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] MIADSGNS@cox.net is offline

On Thursday, June 12, 2014 at 7:07:12 PM UTC-7, wrote:
JVC RX-515V Receiver - Blown Center Channel

I have confirmed that it is the receiver's output that is blown, not the speakee.

Is there anything I can check inside - something hopefully simple as a fuse or thermal breaker?

This is a 20-year old surround sound work horse with plenty inputs for all my analog gear, and replacements are few and far between.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to troubleshoot!

I've had this RX for a long time and I use to use it mainly for listening to LP records. The sound went out 10 years back and I replaced the Power amplifiers inside the receiver. I recall 4 of them 2 per channel, I think, these were the old oval alu encapsulated amplifier chips, same used in similar receivers, mixers and instruments of the time. The sound went out again about a year ago and I am sure it is the power amps again. So the receiver is fixable if it is the power amps whcih typically is, if sound goes out. The same thing happened to a sound mixer of the 80's I still have, I replaced the power amps and it is still working to this day.