Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] zchwax@cs.nyu.edu is offline

Default Bananas, Spades, or Bare Wire ?

Just picked up some Mogami-3130 11 gauge wire to connect to some NHT Series 3.

The dealer, who mainly wires studios, said just connect the bare wires. Do
I face potential corrosion issues if I don't use terminators, such as
spades or bananas? Are there benefits to using terminators, or are they
just another revenue stream for the dealers?

Thanks,

Z.
-=-
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

wrote in message ...
Just picked up some Mogami-3130 11 gauge wire to connect to some NHT
Series 3.

The dealer, who mainly wires studios, said just connect the bare wires. Do
I face potential corrosion issues if I don't use terminators, such as
spades or bananas? Are there benefits to using terminators, or are they
just another revenue stream for the dealers?

Thanks,

Z.
-=-

Terminations have one great benefit, that they keep the strands of wire all
together and reduce the risk of short-circuits. They also look a lot neater,
and with them it is easier to remove and refit the cable. Bananas are
particularly helpful if you are going to be plugging and unplugging
regularly. I would use bananas rather than spades as bananas have a good
spring contact, but would use spades is I was using very high powers into
low impedances. For normal domestic powers, bananas would be my choice.

As to a revenue stream for dealers, I wouldn't pay more than a few
pence/cents per banana plug, so there's not much scope for dealers getting
rich.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jun 2, 10:52 am, wrote:
Just picked up some Mogami-3130 11 gauge wire to connect to some NHT Series 3.

The dealer, who mainly wires studios, said just connect the bare wires. Do
I face potential corrosion issues if I don't use terminators, such as
spades or bananas? Are there benefits to using terminators, or are they
just another revenue stream for the dealers?

For my US$0.02, I prefer spade lugs *soldered* to the wires and then
properly clamped into the amp. If we are discussing the spring-clip
connectors now popular on some speakers and amps, I will tin the ends
of the wires and slightly flatten them with a pair of smooth-jaw
needle-nose pliers so that the flats bear on the springs for more
surface contact.

Bananna jacks & plugs are most useful when the connections are made
and unmade quite often. As good as the good ones are and as convenient
as they might be, it remains a 'friction only' contact and therefore
no where near as positive as the alternatives. If your source has
banana jacks on it, you can get pin-plugs that connect-by-clamp
instead of just friction.

I would also think that corrosion (if not gold plated... and, this is
the ONLY reason I can discern for gold-plating for this sort of
application) would be of greatest concern with friction-only
connections such as banana jacks and plugs. On the scale of things,
gold is a (relatively) poor conductor as compared to silver and/or
copper.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] zekor@comcast.net is offline

On Jun 2, 10:52 am, wrote:
Just picked up some Mogami-3130 11 gaugewireto connect to some NHT Series 3.

The dealer, who mainly wires studios, said just connect thebarewires. Do
I face potential corrosion issues if I don't use terminators, such asspadesorbananas? Are there benefits to using terminators, or are they
just another revenue stream for the dealers?

Thanks,

Z.
-=-

Bare wire is fine, however finger tight is not always enough. Use
pliers. Bananas can be problematic if they are not high quality. I
would not trust any crimped connector if I did not see if it was made
properly. I would trust a crimped connector if it is also soldered. A
spade connector will require more torque to tighten than bare wire.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Skeeter Skeeter is offline

Hello Z

On Jun 2, 10:52 am, wrote:
Just picked up some Mogami-3130 11 gauge wire to connect to some NHT Series 3.

The dealer, who mainly wires studios, said just connect the bare wires. Do
I face potential corrosion issues if I don't use terminators, such as
spades or bananas? Are there benefits to using terminators, or are they
just another revenue stream for the dealers?

Generally, I just twist the stripped, bare wire into a tight mass that
I shape to fit the screw or lug connector, and then I "tin" it with a
drop of solder (heat the wire and "weep" it into the wire) to keep the
wires from fraying and to maintain the desired shape. This method has
worked great for me when putting together high powered, and/or
permanent installations.

If you will be changing connections frequently, I like using banana
plugs. Inexpensive, easy to use, and durable.

Cheers,
Skeeter
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
erich erich is offline

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:52:22 +0000, zchwax wrote:

Just picked up some Mogami-3130 11 gauge wire to connect to some NHT
Series 3.

My favorite is ring terminals since they can't accidentally slip off the
post. I wish more equipment manufacturers used posts that accepted these.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Jun 6, 12:29 am, erich wrote:

My favorite is ring terminals since they can't accidentally slip off the
post. I wish more equipment manufacturers used posts that accepted these.

The short answer to this is to clip the ring terminal, open it
slightly, slip it over the terminal (if screw-type) and then close it
again. No slippage and can be made as tight as required.

Or, obtain spade-lugs with the turned tips. They will not slip
either.

Compression washers are useful.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
No Name

"erich" wrote in message
On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:52:22 +0000, zchwax wrote:

Just picked up some Mogami-3130 11 gauge wire to connect to some NHT
Series 3.

My favorite is ring terminals since they can't accidentally slip off the
post. I wish more equipment manufacturers used posts that accepted these.

One of the better ways of handling the problem is to tin the last 1/4" of
the wire with solder. This will hold the strands together while you insert
them into the binding post. I usually strip only 1/4" of insulation, tin
the strands, then strip off another 1/2" of insulation.

Norm Strong

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote:

Perhaps both incorrect and intuitively, I always tighten down enough to
separate as many strands of the wire as is possible. Of both no practical
significance (and applying only or mainly to AC), this could minimize any
"skin effect".

No.

Ordinary stranded cable behaves identically to solid as far as skin effect is
concerned.

The individual strands have to be insulated from each other for there to be any
skin effect benefit. The advantage of stranded cable over solid is just
flexibility.

Graham
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Jun 10, 12:37 pm, Andrew Barss wrote:

What happens to the connection between the wire and binding post as
the untinned wire oxidizes over time? (I have completely untinned wire
connecting my speakers, and just recently it occurred to me oxidation
might degrade the connection over time). Is this a real issue?

Probably not (though it never hurts to check). If you have a tight
connection, you won't get much oxidation at the connection point. I
pulled some wire out of binding posts after about a decade, and the
sections that had been clamped down looked quite clean, compared to
the sections that had been exposed to air.

If you're concerned, snip an inch off the ends every so often.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

:
[...]

One is likely to have untinnedwirebetween the x-overs and drivers within
our speakers. Most likely, those connections will serve to outlast both you
and me.

-- Andy Barss

I bought a pair of used JBL speakers some time ago. As I was checking
them out, I found at least one internal crimp failing. I soldered all
connections, tweaked the HF crossover, treated the woofer cone, and
tightened all the loose screws inside and out. They turned from a
useless speaker into something nice.

greg