langvid

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

From: Kalman Rubinson )wrote:

On 5 Feb 2004 23:16:07 GMT, "langvid" wrote:

By the way, the SACD (multi-channel or two channel) Poulenc "Concerto for
Organ", far exceeds any other version I have heard outside of the concert
hall. I understand that the CD
layer is also stunning. Does anyone know whether this disc
is available as a CD only?

Do you mean the Gillian Weir performance on Linn?
Not my favorite although fairly nice recording.

Kal

Yes, the Gillian Weir performance. Actually, its my second
favorite performance of the Poulenc Organ Concerto on
record (I have five performances) but it is by *far*
the best recording, in my opinion. I am no expert but
given the combination of sound quality, performance,
and as far as I know, being the only one in multi-channel
I would say that the Gillian is the definitive Poulenc
Organ Concerto.

That the Weir performance is not the favorite of either of us
speaks to the point made by Norm. Not only will it take years
to begin to duplicate in hi-rez the redbook inventory it will
take even longer, probably a palette of 4 or 5 recordings, to
produce performances to supplant those recorded during the
CD era.

While, I am no expert much of the experience I have with the
Poulenc is first hand. I heard Michael Murray perform this
piece 3 times in a 5 day period in San Francisco. (2
performances, 1 open rehearsal, all which included the Saint
Saens "organ Symphony). So I have always had a bias for Michael
Murray's performance on Telarc although the Weir, despite the
tempos coming across as a bit rushed, has replaced it as my
second favorite.

With respect to recording, the Weir wins hands down, with one
very notable (important) exception in my book. More on that
below. The SACD has a diamond like clarity that the 20 year
old Telarc does not match. I'm not conceding this to only
SACD technology, which undoubtedly helps. The acoustic of the
hall as well as the engineering probably made the critical
difference in making the SACD sound so superior. The strings,
in particular are so much more clearly audible with the Weir,
both with respect to the Organ, but also with respect to the
Timpani. This, I believe, is how Poulenc intended. The beauty
and the wonderful textures of the Concerto benefit as a result.
I remember clearly on hearing the Concerto live how the
Organ tended to drown out the accompaniment. But nobody seemed
to care because the Organ was absolutely awesome. With the Weir
you are both in awe of the grandeur of the Organ but equally
appreciated the delicacies of the strings.

But the Weir does lack, for me, the visceral impact of the Murray
in a key part of the performance just prior to the finale. No
question that Weir has power and decibels in her organ. I'm not
talking about that. However, the last 3 minutes or so of the
Concerto includes, both live and in the Murray recording,
a somewhat faint (barely audible) but *very* deep organ
passage which is sustained continuously for well over 90 seconds.
Because it is sustained it is easier to gauge than a transient.
I read where this sustained note was below 23 hz. More so live,
of course, but also with speakers that truly go this deep the
Poulenc passage seemingly causes a change of barometric pressure
in the hall or room. It feels like a small earthquake which lasts
for 90 seconds.(I live in the San Francisco Bay Area). (Believe
me once you have heard the Poulenc Concerto in a live performance
you will *never* forget it). During that portion of the Concerto
the Weir fell very shot of replicating the music that is on the
Murray or replicating what I remember from the live performance.

And then there are the other compositions on the disc from Pierre
Petit and Samuel Barber. These are real finds, not flash in the pan
compositions. Neither is quite in the league of the Poulenc with
respect to the combination and balance of musicality and power.
But each offers goodies that matches or even exceeds the Poulenc
with respect to power. The Barber, in particular, but also the Petit,
have "tour de force" written all over them. And for organ lovers
the Barber (but also the Petit) delivers some "low end grunt"
that rivals the most potent I have heard in recorded music.

The point is the *entire* disc is wonderfully performed recorded.

Robert C. Lang

Kalman Rubinson

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 19:33:28 GMT, "langvid"
wrote:

Yes, the Gillian Weir performance. Actually, its my second
favorite performance of the Poulenc Organ Concerto on
record (I have five performances) but it is by *far*
the best recording, in my opinion.

Fully agreed. I prefer the Murray and the older Weir performances on
Virgin by a small margin but the organ sound on the Linn has the great
advantage of being enveloping in space and weight.

Kal