Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default The Limits of the LP

http://www.urpressing.com/tips.html

Take it from experts.

A couple of excerpts:
The phonograph record is a marvelous medium for storing and reproducing
sound. With frequency response from 7 Hz to 25kHz and over 75 dB dynamic
range possible, it is capable of startling realism. Its ability to convey a
sense of space, that is width and depth of sound stage, with a degree of
openness and airiness, is unrivaled by anything but the most esoteric
digital systems.

Next limitation: treble. You can put as much treble on a DAT or CD as you
want. Unfortunately this is not true on a record (or analog tape for that
matter). Although 25kHz response is possible, excessive transients are a
problem. There are several reasons for this. It was decided with the advent
of the first electrical transcription phonograph record, to reduce bass and
boost treble in the cutting of the master record.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret Ludwig

wrote:
[...]

It so happens that many CDs have entirely excessive, forward and harsh
treble. Coincidence?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Bertie said to the Bug Eater:

It so happens that many CDs have entirely excessive, forward and harsh
treble. Coincidence?

Mickey doesn't care how bad it sounds as long as it's "accurate".

BTW, when are you going to realize how ****ing stupid duh-Mikey is?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com
wrote:
http://www.urpressing.com/tips.html

Take it from experts.

A couple of excerpts:
The phonograph record is a marvelous medium for storing
and reproducing sound. With frequency response from 7 Hz
to 25kHz and over 75 dB dynamic range possible, it is
capable of startling realism. Its ability to convey a
sense of space, that is width and depth of sound stage,
with a degree of openness and airiness, is unrivaled by
anything but the most esoteric digital systems.

The idea of clean bass from vinyl much below 100Hz is generally a fantasy.

Two words: tone arm resonance.

Next limitation: treble. You can put as much treble on a
DAT or CD as you want. Unfortunately this is not true on
a record (or analog tape for that matter). Although
25kHz response is possible, excessive transients are a
problem. There are several reasons for this. It was
decided with the advent of the first electrical
transcription phonograph record, to reduce bass and
boost treble in the cutting of the master record.

It so happens that many CDs have entirely excessive,
forward and harsh treble. Coincidence?

Just goes to show that some people who do mastering and mixing are short on
taste. The CD format has uniform power bandwidth over the audible range, so
unlike vinyl it puts no constraints on making recordings with lots of
treble.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"George M. Middius" cmndr [underscore] george [at] comcast
[dot] net wrote in message

the truth that Middius lacks the rocks to post

BTW, when am I going to realize how incredibly stupid I am?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

George M. Middius wrote:
Bertie said to the Bug Eater:

It so happens that many CDs have entirely excessive, forward and harsh
treble. Coincidence?

Mickey doesn't care how bad it sounds as long as it's "accurate".

I care if I like it. I also know that if it sounds a certain way, as
in the case of harsh and overly bright, it's the ay they intended it to
sound. I would avoid that artist's work in the future.

Accuracy is the goal of hi-fi, but it don't meansquat if you don't like
teh way it was recorded.

BTW, when are you going to realize how ****ing stupid duh-Mikey is?

Letting someone get information from LP experts and enthusiasts is a
sign of stupidity in your world George?

Oh wait, you don't really exist, so your comments are worth what we
paid for them.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article .com,
" wrote:

Bret Ludwig wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That happens to be a matter of taste. It may in fact be the way the
artist(s) whanted it to sound or how it in fact did sound, and you just
don't like it.

It could also be a sign that the person doing the mix was a moron, hard
of hearing in the HF range, or both.

It has nothing to do with the CD format, they simply play back what was
recorded, you are ot obliged to like it.

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example, particularly upper
range violin, sound as right on CD as it can on LP.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from those violins.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from those violins.

Absolute BS, Arny. She's right as rain on this.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from
those violins.

Incorrect.

Denial of reality noted.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from
those violins.

Absolute BS, Arny. She's right as rain on this.

Since you have just about everything about audio wrong Harry, I take this as
approval.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
BTW, when am I going to realize how incredibly stupid I am?

Never. You are too stupid to do that.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from those violins.

yes, the ones that the violins make aren't quite natural.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Jenn said:

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from those violins.

Incorrect.

That Kroo-klaim might be incorrect, but your frame of reference is all too
human for Mr. **** to understand. To the Krooborg and its disgusting ilk,
"unnatural" actually means "different from other digitally mastered
recordings".

It's a question of perspective.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Harry Lavo said:

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from those violins.

Absolute BS, Arny. She's right as rain on this.

Sorry, but that simply cannot be true. If Jenn is right, that means Arnii
is wrong. And that is an impossibility, at least according to "The Debating
Trade Handbook" that Krooger so loves. (Sorry to tell you that I can't give
a specific page reference for my citation because the only time I glimpsed
Turdy's copy of the book, most of the pages were stuck together.)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius

Clyde Slick said:

BTW, when am I going to realize how incredibly stupid I am?

Never. You are too stupid to do that.

Note how Turdborg rushes to defend poor Mikey when the Normals start
laughing too hard at him.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from
those violins.

Incorrect.

Denial of reality noted.

No, you are indeed incorrect. The violin sound that I'm looking for is,
indeed, natural.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from
those violins.

Incorrect.

Denial of reality noted.

No, you are indeed incorrect. The violin sound that I'm looking for is,
indeed, natural.

In order to try to get at home the "natural" sound of
violins one must know what violins do sound like.
I don't have the statistics so what I'll say is an impression
gleaned from RAHE, RAO etc.
The people who prefer cds to Lps as a 100% rule also
believe that they are getting "accurate" rendition of musical
instruments through their "system". They also don't believe in
"prolonged listening" ("a waste of time") Arni once memorably said.
They also believe that the art of recording can be learnt
from a book with "measurements" -vide all the monstrosities these
"scientists" perpetrate.
I doubt also if most of them attend concerts of traditional
orchestras and chamber music groups.
When we say "music" we don't mean the same thing(s).
Ludovic Mirabel

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Jenn" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from
those violins.

Incorrect.

Denial of reality noted.

No, you are indeed incorrect. The violin sound that I'm looking for is,
indeed, natural.

Then it can only be more so when done on CD. More accurate is more
accurate. CD is more accurate by several orders of magnitude.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD
as it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from
those violins.

Incorrect.

Denial of reality noted.

No, you are indeed incorrect. The violin sound that I'm
looking for is, indeed, natural.

It's completely impossible for a LP to accurately reproduce the natural
sound of a violin or many violins.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

In order to try to get at home the "natural" sound of
violins one must know what violins do sound like.

This statement is missing so much relevant info that it is worthless.

Contrary to golden ear dogma, all violins do not sound the same. The
identical same violin does not sound the same with different strings. The
identical same violin with the same strings does not sound the same when
played by a different person. No player plays the same every time they play.
No violin sounds the same in different places.

A violin sounds substantiatlly different depending on where you sit in the
room, whether that room is a room with poor acoustics or whether that room
is Detroit's Orchestra hall. The same is true of entire orchestras, as I
found out when I was a member of a study group that did a comparison of
Orchestra Hall and the Detroit Symphony's former location, at the request of
the Symphony's Board of Directors.

To paraphrase Mirabel's grotesque error into far better truth, let me write:

In order to try to get at home the "natural" sound of specific violins one
must know what those specific violins sound like when played by specific
players, playing a specific piece of music, on a specific occasion, and
playing in a specific place.

I obtain that knowlege on the average three times a week, and have
recordings that match that particular knowlege.

AFAIK nobody else who posts on this newssgroup or RAHE can come close.
Furthermore much of the time I have the option of listening seated as a
member of an audience, or while standing as close to the instrument as a
player.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD
as it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from
those violins.

yes, the ones that the violins make aren't quite natural.

:-)

Yes, all violins sound the same.

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from those violins.

Absolute BS, Arny. She's right as rain on this.

Then record from LP onto a CD, if that's what makes you happy.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MINe 109

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com

In order to try to get at home the "natural" sound of
violins one must know what violins do sound like.

This statement is missing so much relevant info that it is worthless.

Contrary to golden ear dogma, all violins do not sound the same. The
identical same violin does not sound the same with different strings. The
identical same violin with the same strings does not sound the same when
played by a different person. No player plays the same every time they play.
No violin sounds the same in different places.

Wow. Violin sound is a slippery eel. How does anyone recognize it?

A violin sounds substantiatlly different depending on where you sit in the
room, whether that room is a room with poor acoustics or whether that room
is Detroit's Orchestra hall. The same is true of entire orchestras, as I
found out when I was a member of a study group that did a comparison of
Orchestra Hall and the Detroit Symphony's former location, at the request of
the Symphony's Board of Directors.

I'd guess you still understood an orchestra was playing.

To paraphrase Mirabel's grotesque error into far better truth, let me write:

In order to try to get at home the "natural" sound of specific violins one
must know what those specific violins sound like when played by specific
players, playing a specific piece of music, on a specific occasion, and
playing in a specific place.

I obtain that knowlege on the average three times a week, and have
recordings that match that particular knowlege.

AFAIK nobody else who posts on this newssgroup or RAHE can come close.
Furthermore much of the time I have the option of listening seated as a
member of an audience, or while standing as close to the instrument as a
player.

You're the bestest listener ever! However, a few nits remain. For one,
your definition of natural sound is too specific. The question isn't
what *a* violin sounds like, it's what *violins* sound like. Hearing
perception includes a component of pattern recognition, as well you
know, enabling the experienced listener to recognize a violin and to
have an educated expectation of what a violin should generally sound
like.

Another point is the common complaint is that cds lack something in
reproducing the sound of massed violins as heard in orchestral
recordings. Your best argument would be to point to specific recordings
which you feel are successful in preserving string section tone. To
claim that no one but you knows what a violin sounds like is a weaker
argument.

How many times a week must a poster hear string instruments before they
achieve your level of recognition? Does this level slip away if you miss
a time?

Do you mistake violins for other instruments when they play an
unfamiliar tune?

Do players really let you sidle up to the other side of the fiddle as
they play?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

No, you are indeed incorrect. The violin sound that I'm
looking for is, indeed, natural.

It's completely impossible for a LP to accurately reproduce the natural
sound of a violin or many violins.

More to the point, it can naturally produce the accurate sound. of a violin

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD
as it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from
those violins.

yes, the ones that the violins make aren't quite natural.

:-)

Yes, all violins sound the same.

;-)

Only on CDs ;-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com

[...]

While what you write here is obvious and true, you leave out one
important consideration. That is, there are common traits to the sound
of, in this case, all violins in all performance spaces, heard from each
of the seats. As an example, you could listen to a person speaking in a
variety of rooms, etc. and still know that it is THAT person speaking.
In my experience, this is what is missing from the upper frequency
string sound on CDs; it is as though it is a different "voice".

I obtain that knowlege on the average three times a week, and have
recordings that match that particular knowlege.

AFAIK nobody else who posts on this newssgroup or RAHE can come close.

Can come close to what; your level of experience with live acoustic
music? I would beg to differ.

Furthermore much of the time I have the option of listening seated as a
member of an audience, or while standing as close to the instrument as a
player.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD
as it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from
those violins.

Incorrect.

Denial of reality noted.

No, you are indeed incorrect. The violin sound that I'm
looking for is, indeed, natural.

It's completely impossible for a LP to accurately reproduce the natural
sound of a violin or many violins.

I quite agree. But the best LPs do a better job of it than do CDs.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick said:

BTW, when am I going to realize how incredibly stupid I am?

Never. You are too stupid to do that.

Note how Turdborg rushes to defend poor Mikey when the Normals start
laughing too hard at him.

You're laughing at the people whose goal is to maintain a love and respect
for the vinyl record, I just gave a link to a place that reveres them and am
being attacked for posting their words.

http://www.urpressing.com/about.html
Mission Statement

United is committed to the promotion and preservation of the unique sound
qualities of vinyl recordings.

ABOUT UNITED RECORD PRESSING

United is a history book that is as much about our long-term dedicated
professionals as it is about the artists that have depended upon UnitedIt is
a story about three gentlemen who have given their lives to the music
industry. Joe Talbot, artist promoter and major label advisor of sounds to
come. John Dunn, a leader in the record pressing industry who has recently
passed away, has provided the business philosophy that is United's
foundation.Ozell Simpkins and his son Michael have offered professional
lacquer mastering, plating, printing perfection and pressing services that
have been the best that can be offered. It is because of their collective
wisdom and experience that United is documenting in a soon-to-be released
printed format, United's rich history and great future.

Does thin sound like it's from people who are out to discredit the LP or to
denigrate those who enjoy it?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Jenn" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com

[...]

Be that as it may, it is still impossible for LPs to be as accurate at
playing back the sound of a violin. Here's another lesson on how limited
LP's a
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~jcgl/Sc...t12/page2.html

It would be possible to go on considering various other factors which alter
the detailed performance of Long Playing records. For example, any serious
comparison of 'LP versus CD' would have to take into account the relatively
high levels of signal distortion which commercial cartridges produce when
recovering signals louder than the 0 dB level. Typically, signals of +10 dB
or above are accompanied by harmonic distortion levels of 10% or more - not
a very high fidelity performance! Even at the 0 dB level, many cartridges
produce around 1% (or more!) harmonic distortion. The frequency response of
signals recorded on LP are also modified - the high frequency level boosted
and the low frequency level reduced - to obtain better S/N and distortion
performance. This means that an LP replay system must include a De-Emphasis
network to Correct the recovered signal's frequency response. Here, however,
we are only interested in considering those physical factors which make the
LP less than an ideally 'analog' way to communicate information. These extra
factors affect the performance of an LP but they don't change the basic
nature of the system.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Jenn" wrote in message

I've yet to hear orchestral strings, for example,
particularly upper range violin, sound as right on CD as
it can on LP.

Obviously, you're looking for an unnatural sound from those violins.

Absolute BS, Arny. She's right as rain on this.

Then record from LP onto a CD, if that's what makes you happy.

What? And find out that you get an EXACT COPY of the LP? Heresy!

That's the clincher for the whole LP vs. CD debate. A CD plays back exactly
what was fed to it, and the proof of that is when LP's are copied to CD,
they sound just as they would when played back through the TT they were
played on. EXACTLY LIKE the turntable they were played.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

"Jenn" wrote in message
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com

[...]

And yet, to my ears, the best LPs surpass CDs in their reproduction of
acoustic music.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal

Jenn said:

And yet, to my ears, the best LPs surpass CDs in their reproduction of
acoustic music.

An interesting experiment would then be to record a good sounding LP
onto CD and report back whether you hear differences, or that you like
what you hear, or not.

I'd be very interested in the opinion of a professional musician such
as yourself on this.

--

- Never argue with idiots, they drag you down their level and beat you with experience. -
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

And yet, to my ears, the best LPs surpass CDs in their
reproduction of acoustic music.

How do you avoid the involvement of your brain in the listening process,
Jenn?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"Jenn" wrote in message

That's the clincher for the whole LP vs. CD debate. A
CD plays back exactly what was fed to it, and the proof
of that is when LP's are copied to CD, they sound just
as they would when played back through the TT they were
played on. EXACTLY LIKE the turntable they were played.

According to whom?

Anybody with a brain.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn

In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

That's the clincher for the whole LP vs. CD debate. A
CD plays back exactly what was fed to it, and the proof
of that is when LP's are copied to CD, they sound just
as they would when played back through the TT they were
played on. EXACTLY LIKE the turntable they were played.

According to whom?

Anybody with a brain.

I see. Have you done a comparison? When did you do the comparison?