John Atkinson

" wrote in
message et
"John Atkinson" wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
His constant dance around the ABX question,while entertaining is
still a dance, and he's dishonest about it.

In what way am I being dishonest, Mr. McKelvy?

That it, (DBT) would be of no interest to your readers.

I receive much mail on this subject. As a result, I am certain
that the call for Stereophile's reviews to be based on
double-blind testing comes from a minority of actual readers.
Most of it comes from people like Arny Krueger who are
_not_ readers, to the best of my knowledge.

I am expressing opinions formed as the result of my quite
extensive experience.

And opinions are like.....................? Aren't facts more
usuful?

Opinions _based_ on experience and first-hand knowledge, Mr.
McKelvy. I find it curious that some of you ABX advocates
have little or no experience of that which you profess
such faith in.

Why not just admit that the first duty you adhere to is the
one that keeps ad dollars coming in, and that accurate reviews
of products is a distand second or third?

Ah, that old canard. Tell me. Mr. McKelvy, if your statement is
correct, how do you explain the fact that I often give positive
reviews to non-advertisers, or that fact that I publish critical
reviews of products made by advertisers?

And to return to my question, which you conveniently snipped. I
asked:
If you think this is dishonest, do you think the same about
Arny Krueger's false and unsubstantiated accusations that I
have attacked his children, his wife, and his religious
beliefs? Or that I have welched on a debt I owe him? I
haven't done any of these things, as the record is clear,
yet I don't see you criticizing AK for being "dishonest."

You had no reply to what I thought was an unambiguous question.
I asked it because in a previous message in this thread, you were
just as unambiguous regarding your views of Arny Krueger's behavior:

On Friday, 12 Aug 2005 03:30:59 GMT
" wrote in
message et
I have yet to see him [Arny Krueger] tell a flat out lie, he
does the same thing I do, he just fires back the same kind of
things people make up about him....If on some rare occasion,
Arny gets some bit of data wrong, he cops to it.

So I ask again, given that I have _never_ attacked Arny Krueger's
children, his wife, or his religious beliefs and that I do not
owe Mr. Krueger any money, how do you explain his accusations
that I _have_ done all these things, Mr. McKelvy? They are, to
be blunt, "flat-out lies," as the Google record makes clear, yet
you are on record as saying that Mr. Krueger has _never_ told a
"flat-out lie."

And far from "copping" that he was wrong about these matters,
Mr. Krueger has first repeated the lies, without offering any
substantiation, then has ducked out the discussion.

You also say that Arny Krueger abuses people in response to
things they have said about him, yet I have tried very hard
to treat Mr. Krueger with civility, again as the Google record,
which you have said you trust, reveals. How, then do you excuse
the unwarranted accusations he has made of me and the lack of
civility which which he addresses me?

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Sander deWaal

"John Atkinson" said:

How, then do you excuse
the unwarranted accusations he has made of me and the lack of
civility which which he addresses me?

You're a (the!) heretic.
Relying on sighted tests is insulting all by itself, apparently.

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

John Atkinson:

In what way am I being dishonest, Mr. McKelvy? I am expressing
opinions formed as the result of my quite extensive experience.

Mike McKelvy:

And opinions are like.....................?
Aren't facts more usuful?
Why not just admit that the first duty you adhere to is the one that keeps
ad dollars coming in, and that accurate reviews of products is a distant
second or third?

Second or third???? You're giving the Slimey Limey _way_ too much
credit! ;-)

Accurate reviews and an honest editorial position would quickly sink
the good ship Stereophile.

Sander deWaal wrote:
"John Atkinson" said:

How, then do you excuse
the unwarranted accusations he has made of me and the lack of
civility which which he addresses me?

You're a (the!) heretic.
Relying on sighted tests is insulting all by itself, apparently.

The insult lies not in sighted tests, but in deceiving the readers
(e.g., a positive "review" of Shakti Stones) for the sake of
advertising revenue. Stereophile has morphed from a publication that
sought to serve the interests of it's readers into a publication that
always serves the interests of the advertisers at the expense of the
readers.

John Atkinson

Sander deWaal wrote:
"John Atkinson" said to
Mike McKelvy, regarding his claims about Arny Krueger's truthfulness:
How, then do you excuse the unwarranted accusations he has made
of me and the lack of civility which which he addresses me?

You're a (the!) heretic. Relying on sighted tests is insulting
all by itself, apparently.

It certainly echoes the moral blinkers shown, for example, by
Steven Sullivan in the "Don Pearce" thread who is very quick to
condemn sighted listening as practiced by those he disagrees
with but equally slow to condemn confirmed unethical behavior
in those whose audio philosophy aligns with his own.

But Mr. McKelvy having made such a strong, unambiguous
statement about Arny Krueger's truthfulness, one that is
contrary to all the evidence, I would be interested in
learning from him why he feels his faith-based workd-view
is superior to actual reality.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Tom Albertz, you are tired and cranky. Get your ass home now, we have
to go out to have our ears candled tonight.
sam wrote:
" wrote

An assertion is an idea that has not been proven.

So?

It's an idea, and only an idea until proven to be something more.

Incorrect. Whether or not differences exist is a state of reality.
Differences exist or they don't - whether someone asserts they
exist or not - whether someone proves they exist or not.

I never discount that possibility. I do discount anecdotes as proof.

Anecdotes aren't proof. No one presents an anecdote as proof.
There may be strongly held beliefs associated with anecdotes.

Which still means they mean nothing.

I never said otherwise.

And no one can discount those beliefs as untrue or whimsical
because you can't prove a negative. They may be true - just
as yet unproven.

Then prove them and stop complaining about how they are criticised because
they have no supporting evidence.

Eat me, Mike. I don't have to prove ****. I don't intend to prove ****.
Tell your ****ing engineer buddy Arny to prove it.
People were criticized for asserting that the world was round, weren't
they Mike?

The simple fact is that in countless ABX DBT's alleged differences
disappear. While you may not consider this as proof that amps, etc sound
the same, it is evidence, and it is relaible.

Evidence of what?

Many people assert they hear differences and when put to the test,
they're unable to support their assertions. No argument.
When people assert that they're unsatisfied or fatigued after extended
listening periods, you have no *evidence* to discount those kinds of
assertions. So eat me.

jclause

It certainly echoes the moral blinkers shown

Supporting Ak is quite tricky
It's much like doin' a quickie.
If you don't take care
You'll be the worse for wear
In fact it can get quite sticky...

Hammingaway Inc.

"sam" wrote in message
[...]

And until there was evidence to the contrary that was a perfectly reasonable
position. When new evidence is available that shows that DBT's aren't
effective, I'll consider it. There seems to plenty of criticism but no
evidence that something else is better.

The simple fact is that in countless ABX DBT's alleged differences
disappear. While you may not consider this as proof that amps, etc sound
the same, it is evidence, and it is relaible.

Evidence of what?

That there are not many different sounding amps.

Many people assert they hear differences and when put to the test,
they're unable to support their assertions. No argument.
When people assert that they're unsatisfied or fatigued after extended
listening periods, you have no *evidence* to discount those kinds of
assertions. So eat me.

Stunningly argued.

Fatigue can be from lots of sources, what proof do you or anyone have that
it is because of some aspect of the amp or other equipment, that isn't
already known or tested for?

sam

" wrote

People were criticized for asserting that the world was round, weren't
they Mike?

And until there was evidence to the contrary that was a perfectly
reasonable position.

It was an incorrect position. Just as the assertion that music reproduction
systems all have the same effect on human beings unless clipping or broken
may be an incorrect position. You've already agreed with this.

.......When new evidence is available that shows that DBT's aren't
effective, I'll consider it. There seems to plenty of criticism but no
evidence that something else is better.

Jeez Mike, no one said DBT's aren't effective and I'm not criticizing
them for their effective use. What did I say, Mike? You agreed with
it - remember?

Maybe Arny should try to invent something better instead of flapping
his jaw and ****ing people off.

Fatigue can be from lots of sources, what proof do you or anyone have that
it is because of some aspect of the amp or other equipment, that isn't
already known or tested for?

No proof. Just scores of anecdotes which you can no better prove false.

I'm getting tired of this discussion, Mike. Haven't we been all the way
around it?

wrote:
His constant dance around the ABX question,while entertaining is
still a dance, and he's dishonest about it.

In what way am I being dishonest, Mr. McKelvy?

That it, (DBT) would be of no interest to your readers.

I receive much mail on this subject. As a result, I am certain
that the call for Stereophile's reviews to be based on
double-blind testing comes from a minority of actual readers.

That's part of the dance. Nobody asked you to BASE your reviews on DBT's,
no traw men please.

Most of it comes from people like Arny Krueger who are
_not_ readers, to the best of my knowledge.

We have been given to understand that your knowledge is limited.

I am expressing opinions formed as the result of my quite
extensive experience.

And opinions are like.....................? Aren't facts more
usuful?

Opinions _based_ on experience and first-hand knowledge, Mr.
McKelvy. I find it curious that some of you ABX advocates
have little or no experience of that which you profess
such faith in.

I have no FAITH in anything. Things are either real or not. The kinds of
differences your reviewers claim to hear are often times at odds with
reality, end of story.

I don't have to stick my hand in the fire to know it burns, but thanks for
yet another straw man.

Why not just admit that the first duty you adhere to is the
one that keeps ad dollars coming in, and that accurate reviews
of products is a distand second or third?

Ah, that old canard. Tell me. Mr. McKelvy, if your statement is
correct, how do you explain the fact that I often give positive
reviews to non-advertisers,

Bait.

or that fact that I publish critical
reviews of products made by advertisers?

Because if you published honest reviews, that included DBT's, you'd have a
very boring magazine. It's all kinda meaningless, since the negative
reviews are often no more real than the glowing ones, they are based on the
worst possible scenario for determining if any of the things claimed could
be real.

And to return to my question, which you conveniently snipped. I
asked:
If you think this is dishonest, do you think the same about
Arny Krueger's false and unsubstantiated accusations that I
have attacked his children, his wife, and his religious
beliefs?

I think I'm not going to discuyss issues that I haven't any first hand
knowledge of.

I will say if such happend, that they are no better or worse than the
vitriol that has been directed at Arny from a variety of sources. That
doesn't excuse it.
People who get their panties in a twist over what gets said here, probably
shouldn't play here.

That being said, the death of Arny's son should have been and should remain
off limits, and anyone who made such comments, IMO should be shuned, would
you agree?

Or that I have welched on a debt I owe him? I
haven't done any of these things, as the record is clear,
yet I don't see you criticizing AK for being "dishonest."

See above.

You had no reply to what I thought was an unambiguous question.

It's more of your dancing and misdirection, I won't discuss it again in this
thread, if you want to start one and prove your case, I might read that one.

[...]

How do you explain your constant obfuscations made in you rmagazine?
How do you expalin Fremer attacking Nousaine because of what he daid?

Sander deWaal wrote:
[...]

I said I had not seen him do it. I also said that when he sometimes has
obviously stretched the truth, that it was in response to same, IME.

You have yet to adequately address why you magazine has zero oversight on
things like Shakti Stones and Mpingo disks, that make people laugh at you
when you try to claim any sort of crediblity. They are fraud, and anyone
with a shred of integrity would be offended to let the glowing reviews that
the dolts at SP penned ever see light of day.

(Begin Dance here)

Mike McKelvy said to John Atkinson:

You have yet to adequately address why your magazine has zero oversight on
things like Shakti Stones and Mpingo disks, that make people laugh at you
when you try to claim any sort of crediblity. They are fraud, and anyone
with a shred of integrity would be offended to let the glowing reviews that
the dolts at SP penned ever see light of day.

(Begin Dance here)

The "Atkinson Two-step"!

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com
Mike McKelvy said to John Atkinson:

You have yet to adequately address why your magazine has
zero oversight on things like Shakti Stones and Mpingo
disks, that make people laugh at you when you try to
claim any sort of crediblity. They are fraud, and
anyone with a shred of integrity would be offended to
let the glowing reviews that the dolts at SP penned ever
see light of day.

(Begin Dance here)

The "Atkinson Two-step"!

I wonder at Audiophools like Paul Packer and the rest of the
Middius dupes who don't seem to understand that SP's
economically efficacious promotion of snake oil like Shakti
Stones and Mpingo
disks, is based on how incredibly easy it is to manipulate
sighted evaluations.

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com
Mike McKelvy said to John Atkinson:

You have yet to adequately address why your magazine has
zero oversight on things like Shakti Stones and Mpingo
disks, that make people laugh at you when you try to
claim any sort of crediblity. They are fraud, and
anyone with a shred of integrity would be offended to
let the glowing reviews that the dolts at SP penned ever
see light of day.

(Begin Dance here)

The "Atkinson Two-step"!

I wonder at Audiophools like Paul Packer and the rest of the
Middius dupes who don't seem to understand that SP's
economically efficacious promotion of snake oil like Shakti
Stones and Mpingo
disks, is based on how incredibly easy it is to manipulate
sighted evaluations.

Could it be that Shakti Stones, Mpingo disks and other snakeoil crapola
have a "subconcious effect" on the "vibrations"? :-D

John Atkinson

Sander deWaal wrote:
[...]

I said I had not seen him do it.

I find this hard to believe, given that you both responded
to the message in which Arny Krueger said I had attacked
his children and subsequently challenged me to state for
the record that Google would not uncover any messages in
which I had atacked Arny's chidren. So I ask again: your
poor memory for your own actions notwithstanding, why,
in the face of the evidence that I haven't done the
things Arny accuses me of, do you cling to your faith that
Arny has never told a "flat-out lie,"to quote from the
section of my message that you snipped?

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

John Atkinson

John Atkinson asked of Mike McKelvy:
why, in the face of the evidence that I haven't done the
things Arny accuses me of, do you cling to your faith that
Arny has never told a "flat-out lie,"to quote from the
section of my message that you snipped?

Sorry, I didn't mean "snipped," I meant your August 12
posting where you made the unambiguous claim that Arny
Krueger has "never" told a "flat-out lie."

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Robert Morein

nk.net...

Sander deWaal wrote:
[...]

You are negligent. You have made Arny Krueger into your personal idol. If
you must do this, then you owe it to yourself and others to exercise
diligence in understanding this man, what he says, and what he does. It is
incontestable that Arny Krueger has lied many times, persistently, on
multiple occasions, and on multiple subjects. If you haven't seen this, it's
because you don't care to look. If you insist on being a follower, at least
understand what you are following. What a trusting guy you are! Another fate
would find you drinking KoolAid courtesy of Jim Jones.

Do you endorse the idea of stretching the truth because the opponent does
the same? Is your creed "Fight lies with lies" ?

Sander deWaal wrote:
[...]

Careful your optional spelling of children (chidren) will get Mr . moreing
tinking you're not too smart.

So I ask again: your
poor memory for your own actions notwithstanding, why,
in the face of the evidence that I haven't done the
things Arny accuses me of, do you cling to your faith that
Arny has never told a "flat-out lie,"to quote from the
section of my message that you snipped?

I won't comment on it until or unless I review the context of the
discussion.

Now, how about answering where the integrity goes when SP prints glowing
reviews of crap like Mpingo disks, or why you can't hire people who won't
get into screaming matches in public, like Fremer did with Nousaine?

The dance continues.

"sam" wrote in message
" wrote

People were criticized for asserting that the world was round, weren't
they Mike?

And until there was evidence to the contrary that was a perfectly
reasonable position.

It was an incorrect position.

It wasw factually incorrect, but until new evidence emerged it was the
logical position to hold.

Just as the assertion that music reproduction
systems all have the same effect on human beings unless clipping or broken
may be an incorrect position.

But until evidence emerges showing otherwise, it is the correct position to
hold.

You've already agreed with this.

I've agreed that there might be data which has not emerged, but until it
does, and may not, since it's likely untrue, then the current position that
things that sound the same don't have any other effects, is the correct one.

.......When new evidence is available that shows that DBT's aren't
effective, I'll consider it. There seems to plenty of criticism but no
evidence that something else is better.

Jeez Mike, no one said DBT's aren't effective and I'm not criticizing
them for their effective use. What did I say, Mike? You agreed with
it - remember?

Maybe Arny should try to invent something better instead of flapping
his jaw and ****ing people off.

Fatigue can be from lots of sources, what proof do you or anyone have
that it is because of some aspect of the amp or other equipment, that
isn't already known or tested for?

No proof. Just scores of anecdotes which you can no better prove false.

That's asking to prove a negative again. There's nothing but anecdotes and
no confirmation of them as anything more. When there's evidence other than
such anecdotes, present it, although I'm fairly confident that somewhere in
the field of psychoaccoustics, it's been looked into.

I'm getting tired of this discussion, Mike. Haven't we been all the way
around it?

Only because you don't seem to want to acknowledge you have a claim with no
evidence.

Mike McKelvy asked John Atkinson

snipped

Now, how about answering where the integrity goes when SP prints glowing
reviews of crap like Mpingo disks, or why you can't hire people who won't
get into screaming matches in public, like Fremer did with Nousaine?

Atkinson is running away from such questions, eh?

The dance continues.

Or is he just dancing away? ;-)

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

nk.net...

Sander deWaal wrote:
[...]

No, not anymore than you have made Middius yours. I simply trust him to
give me good info on audio. Just like you can count on George to be smarmy.

If
you must do this, then you owe it to yourself and others to exercise
diligence in understanding this man, what he says, and what he does.

Outside the are of audio, I have no reason to care what he does and involve
myself in other discussions if I feel like it.

It is
incontestable that Arny Krueger has lied many times

As it is incontestable that you get technical issues wrong many times.

, persistently, on
multiple occasions, and on multiple subjects.

How about on the subjectof audio?

If you haven't seen this, it's
because you don't care to look.

Could be, especially if they don't have anything to with audio, or if it's
just the usual carping between the usual suspects.

If you insist on being a follower, at least
understand what you are following.

I'm not following, I'm just reading.

What a trusting guy you are! Another fate
would find you drinking KoolAid courtesy of Jim Jones.

Not bloody likely, that would be the subjectivists, they'd drink the KoolAid
if someone told them it gave a better sense of rhythm and pace. Atkinson
would no doubt review the effect in a very positive way.

Do you endorse the idea of stretching the truth because the opponent does
the same? Is your creed "Fight lies with lies" ?

My creed is leave people the **** alone on usenet, if you don't want to be
bothered. If you want to disagree on technical grounds, do so on an equal
footing. I suspect that's why you have such a problem with Arny, he knows
more than you about audio.

Robert Morein

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

nk.net...

Sander deWaal wrote:
[...]

Oops! Mikey lies again! Try "LieAlot Lozenges". They taste like ****, and
they stick in your throat when you try to tell a Big One.

John Atkinson

Sander deWaal wrote:
[...]

Oh come on, Mr. McKelvy. Yes, I made a couple of typos. So
what? It's Arny Krueger who gets so upset by typos, as readily
revealed by the Google record.

So I ask again: your poor memory for your own actions
notwithstanding, why, in the face of the evidence that I haven't
done the things Arny accuses me of, do you cling to your faith
that Arny has never told a "flat-out lie"...

I won't comment on it until or unless I review the context of the
discussion.

What's to review? You made an an unambiguous, unqualified
statement that "Arny Krueger has never told a flat-out lie."
I have repeatedly offered you factual evidence that you were
incorrect. All you have left to support your position is your
unsupported faith in Mr. Krueger's honesty.

Now, how about answering where the integrity goes when SP prints
glowing reviews of crap like Mpingo disks...

Stereophile published both positive and negative coverage of the
Mpingo discs, Mr. McKelvy. Why is it so hard for you faith-based
critics to even do the minumum amount of research before you
issue your pronouncements?

why you can't hire people who won't get into screaming matches in
public, like Fremer did with Nousaine?

I am not aware of this happening, Mr. McKelvy. More faith-based
projection on your part, I suggest. Yes, Michael Fremer did get
into a shouting match with Arny Krueger at HE2005, but that
was because Mr. Krueger started screaming "Demonstration" at
the top of his voice, drowning out Mr. Fremer's reporting of
having achieved what he felt to be identification in a
blind test of amplifiers that took place at the 1988 AES
convention.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

west

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike McKelvy said to John Atkinson:

You have yet to adequately address why your magazine has zero oversight

on
things like Shakti Stones and Mpingo disks, that make people laugh at

you
when you try to claim any sort of crediblity. They are fraud, and

anyone
with a shred of integrity would be offended to let the glowing reviews

that
the dolts at SP penned ever see light of day.

Remember the days when Harry Pearson, et al, would say things like, "This is
the same crap that XYZ has been putting out ..." I suppose money wins out
in the end because you can't bite the hand that feeds you. If any one knows
of a rebel, non-advertising audio magazine, please tell.
Cordially,
west

George Middius

Robert Morein said:

My creed is leave people the **** alone on usenet,

Oops! Mikey lies again! Try "LieAlot Lozenges". They taste like ****, and
they stick in your throat when you try to tell a Big One.

Mickey may not be lying. He's the dullest knife in the drawer, you know, so
maybe he's just too dumb to figure it out.

Check out the thread where he's weaseling around trying to defend the
flat-earthers. "Logical" indeed. Mickey has elevated cluelessness to an art
form.

George M. Middius

Jon Yaeger said:

If any one knows
of a rebel, non-advertising audio magazine, please tell.

I don't think there is one, West. Why don't you start one?

He can't. He doesn't have the $30 per month for web hosting.

George Middius lied:
Robert Morein said:

My creed is leave people the **** alone on usenet,

Oops! Mikey lies again! Try "LieAlot Lozenges". They taste like ****, and
they stick in your throat when you try to tell a Big One.

Mickey may not be lying. He's the dullest knife in the drawer, you know, so
maybe he's just too dumb to figure it out.

Check out the thread where he's weaseling around trying to defend the
flat-earthers. "Logical" indeed. Mickey has elevated cluelessness to an art
form.

Do you mean the thread where Mike McKelvy has your HeroLiar, John
"Slimey Limey" Atkinson, running for cover? ;-)

John Atkinson lied:

snipped

Stereophile published both positive and negative coverage of the
Mpingo discs, Mr. McKelvy.

I went to the SP website and found three effusive, glowing "reviews" (
two by the notorious shill Jonathan Scull and one by Sam Tellig) and
one sorta non-committal review by Barry Willis. Am I missing something,
or is any review that doesn't kiss the advertiser's ass qualify as
"negative" at SP these days?

Why is it so hard for you faith-based
critics to even do the minumum amount of research before you
issue your pronouncements?

Why is it so hard for you to tell the truth, scumball?

"John Atkinson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sander deWaal wrote:
[...]

I was commenting on Morein's remarks about my typos and misspellings.
Frankly, I understand that people make such mistakes and seldom on them.

It's Arny Krueger who gets so upset by typos, as readily
revealed by the Google record.

Only after comments about his mistakes have been made, IME.

So I ask again: your poor memory for your own actions
notwithstanding, why, in the face of the evidence that I haven't
done the things Arny accuses me of, do you cling to your faith
that Arny has never told a "flat-out lie"...

I won't comment on it until or unless I review the context of the
discussion.

What's to review?

Context. Look it up.

You made an an unambiguous, unqualified
statement that "Arny Krueger has never told a flat-out lie."

That I am awarre of.

I have repeatedly offered you factual evidence that you were
incorrect. All you have left to support your position is your
unsupported faith in Mr. Krueger's honesty.

Now, how about answering where the integrity goes when SP prints
glowing reviews of crap like Mpingo disks...

Stereophile published both positive and negative coverage of the
Mpingo discs, Mr. McKelvy.

Why? What positives could there be for something that doesn't do anything?
Where FR measurements made?

Why is it so hard for you faith-based
critics to even do the minumum amount of research before you
issue your pronouncements?

If irony killed.

why you can't hire people who won't get into screaming matches in
public, like Fremer did with Nousaine?

I am not aware of this happening, Mr. McKelvy. More faith-based
projection on your part, I suggest.

Fremer does work for you right? Did you ask him? Nousaine reported it in
the Audio Critic.

Yes, Michael Fremer did get
into a shouting match with Arny Krueger at HE2005, but that
was because Mr. Krueger started screaming "Demonstration" at
the top of his voice, drowning out Mr. Fremer's reporting of
having achieved what he felt to be identification in a
blind test of amplifiers that took place at the 1988 AES
convention.

So Arny wanted proof, what a *******/

Let me guess, Fremer, the guy who can't hear what a piece of crap a WAVAC
amp is, has not come forth to prove he can do what he claims.
Big surprise.

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

nk.net...

Sander deWaal wrote:
[...]

How many do you usually take in a day?

Mr. Morein:

How goes the FM Listening Survey?

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

John Atkinson lied:

snipped

Stereophile published both positive and negative coverage of the
Mpingo discs, Mr. McKelvy.

I went to the SP website and found three effusive, glowing "reviews" (
two by the notorious shill Jonathan Scull and one by Sam Tellig) and
one sorta non-committal review by Barry Willis. Am I missing something,
or is any review that doesn't kiss the advertiser's ass qualify as
"negative" at SP these days?

There is nothing in Barry Willis' writing on these products that could
be taken as anything but negative.

I disagree, see below.

"Perhaps Shun Mook's products
perform in a realm to which I am not psychically attuned" for example.

Which allows for the idea that that the reviewer (Willis) failed to
hear the difference, not that said difference did not exist. Contrast
this with the unambiguous, effusive praise from Scull and Tellig.

If you read all of Willis' pieces, he clearly belittles the item. He
speaks at length about the need for "belief" in regards to them.

Jenn, I did read all of Willis' pieces regarding Mpingo discs, as well
as all of Scull and Tellig. IMO, to see Willis as purely "negative"
requires being a bit sceptical about such products to begin with. The
need for belief part follows from there. OTOH, the Scull/Tellig
"reviews" are unambiguous in their praise. They make the Mpingo discs
seem magical, changing the soundstage, etc., etc. This is far from the
"balance" that Atkinson implied ("both positive and negative coverage").

Jenn

In article .com,
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

John Atkinson lied:

snipped

(
[...]

Some quotes from Willis:
"He cued up some music, let it play for a minute, walked over to one of
his small loudspeakers---which bore a Mpingo disc on its far right
corner---gave the disc a 180-degree twist, and looked expectantly at us
for our reaction. Perhaps Shun Mook's products perform in a realm to
which I am not psychically attuned."

"In Hi-Fi Land, faith has traditionally prevailed over reason, often to
the benefit of people who make items of marginal or imaginary value."

"In other words, they work to the limits of their users' belief."

Yes, he "leaves the door open" to the possibility that these things do
indeed affect sound. He clearly states, however, that he doesn't hear
it. If you were the maker of a product that received such a review, you
no doubt would consider it to be a negative one, thus disproving your
accusation of JA lying when he stated, "Stereophile published both
positive and negative coverage of the Mpingo discs, Mr. McKelvy."

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

John Atkinson lied:

snipped

[...]

These quotes are faint, indeed, compared to the unambiguous, glowing
praise from Scull and Tellig. Did you read their crap?

Yes, he "leaves the door open" to the possibility that these things do
indeed affect sound.

Whilst Scull/Tellig never allow the possibility that they *do not*.

He clearly states, however, that he doesn't hear it.

Scull and Tellig clearly do hear it, obvious and dramatic.

If you were the maker of a product that received such a review, you
no doubt would consider it to be a negative one,

Willis' review, standing alone, might be taken thus. However, taken
against the glowing praise from Scull and Tellig, the maker should
happily sign another advertising contract: Atkinson has delivered as
promised.

thus disproving your
accusation of JA lying when he stated, "Stereophile published both
positive and negative coverage of the Mpingo discs, Mr. McKelvy."

Disagreeed. YMMV

Jenn

In article .com,
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

John Atkinson lied:

snipped

[...]

Yes, I read what they wrote. But my point is that Willis does indeed
give a negative review, which is what JA said.

Yes, he "leaves the door open" to the possibility that these things do
indeed affect sound.

Whilst Scull/Tellig never allow the possibility that they *do not*.

He clearly states, however, that he doesn't hear it.

Scull and Tellig clearly do hear it, obvious and dramatic.

If you were the maker of a product that received such a review, you
no doubt would consider it to be a negative one,

Willis' review, standing alone, might be taken thus. However, taken
against the glowing praise from Scull and Tellig, the maker should
happily sign another advertising contract: Atkinson has delivered as
promised.

JA said that the product received both positive and negative coverage in
SP. He was correct.

thus disproving your
accusation of JA lying when he stated, "Stereophile published both
positive and negative coverage of the Mpingo discs, Mr. McKelvy."

Disagreeed. YMMV

Of course. :-)
Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.opinion west wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Mike McKelvy said to John Atkinson:

You have yet to adequately address why your magazine has zero oversight

on
things like Shakti Stones and Mpingo disks, that make people laugh at

you
when you try to claim any sort of crediblity. They are fraud, and

anyone
with a shred of integrity would be offended to let the glowing reviews

that
the dolts at SP penned ever see light of day.

Remember the days when Harry Pearson, et al, would say things like, "This is
the same crap that XYZ has been putting out ..." I suppose money wins out
in the end because you can't bite the hand that feeds you. If any one knows
of a rebel, non-advertising audio magazine, please tell.
Cordially,
west

here you go:

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/cwo/Web_Zine/

--

-S
"God is an asshole!" -- Ruth Fisher, 'Six Feet Under'