Powell

"Howard Ferstler" wrote

In issue 94 of The Sensible Sound (Feb/Mar, 2003), I
reviewed a specialized CD produced by a Canadian outfit.
Specifically, the disc is designed to test the hearing
acuity of an individual from 20 Hz on up to 20 kHz. In that
review, I outlined how well I did with the test. I also
tested a few other people. No, I did not score like an 18
year old.

Unfortunately without including the calibration of the
auditory environment, headphones and playback
equipment this CD can only provide unreliable
generalities. It certainly could not be used for a
scientifically based testing of subjects.

There is little doubt that most older reviewers have a
hearing loss to some extent. Fortunately, most of the
older guys who can finally afford high-end gear are
probably in the same boat.

Yes, you have a financially self-serving disability.
Those that can "afford high-end" have never read
Sensible Sound. You appeal mostly to Newbies.
Do you have (Sensible Sound) demographics to
support otherwise? I suspect that the average
subscription time is below that of Stereophile or
TAS... and comprise a younger and more
financially limited population too.

Powell

"John Atkinson" wrote

Both Kalman Rubinson and I have published our
hearing test results in the magazine.

Volume and page number, please?

I don't have these indexed.

You published the auditory test results in Stereophile
but you can't remember when or where, is that what
you're saying? If so why bring it up in the first place if
you can't substantiate/validate it?

You can find Kal's hearing results in his Stereophile
review of the Auditory Test CD...

Zzzzzzz....

my hearing sensitivity falls within "Normal" limits,....

That tells me nothing.

5 years ago I could hear a pure 16.5kHz tone at
moderate spls.

"5 years ago"... you might have remembered the
the magazine's published content.

Powell

"George M. Middius" wrote

I wouldn't presume. Although if you do imbibe
something and it enables you to post more
cogently, I'd commend you on your choice.

Well, that's unfortunate, George. I guess I'm on my
own again. I'm doubtful my chioces would include
Red Bull or Sobe ("cogently" improvers). Not without
a shot of vodka, too.

Whatever you tried before that paragraph wasn't
successful.

Although pricey I can recommend a bottle of Don
Julio - Anejo. Smooth, served straight-up... no
lemon or salt is required. My awareness
(cognitive function) was indeed heightened .

Howard Ferstler

Powell wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" wrote

In issue 94 of The Sensible Sound (Feb/Mar, 2003), I
reviewed a specialized CD produced by a Canadian outfit.
Specifically, the disc is designed to test the hearing
acuity of an individual from 20 Hz on up to 20 kHz. In that
review, I outlined how well I did with the test. I also
tested a few other people. No, I did not score like an 18
year old.

Unfortunately without including the calibration of the
auditory environment, headphones and playback
equipment this CD can only provide unreliable
generalities. It certainly could not be used for a
scientifically based testing of subjects.

Agreed, at least regarding headphones. (Amps and CD players
certainly have the required flat bandwidth issue covered.)
However, it certainly is superior to the guessing that most
of you golden ears use as a reference. The company was
pretty clear on how to set up the measurement procedure, and
they even supplied headphone recommendations.

In any case, I get the impression that you gave the disc a
try and did not do particularly well.

There is little doubt that most older reviewers have a
hearing loss to some extent. Fortunately, most of the
older guys who can finally afford high-end gear are
probably in the same boat.

Yes, you have a financially self-serving disability.

No doubt I would be lionized if I converted to the tweako
point of view. Heck, even Stereophile or TAS might hire me
then. No thanks, because then I would have to hang out with
people like you.

Those that can "afford high-end" have never read
Sensible Sound.

Or much else that makes sense, either.

You appeal mostly to Newbies.

And do not appeal to the audio lunatic fringe.

Do you have (Sensible Sound) demographics to
support otherwise?

I suspect that the publisher does not sweat such details.
Only self-serving editors would poll for statistics of that
kind and publish the results.

I suspect that the average
subscription time is below that of Stereophile or
TAS... and comprise a younger and more
financially limited population too.

The wild thing about tweakos who have more money than sense
is that they spend big on exotic gear as a way to prove both
to themselves and to the masses that they are special in so
many ways.

By the way, you posted the above info (if we can call it
that) at 2:11 PM. Do you have a job? Yeah, I know: you
freelance out of your house, just like all the other tweakos
who post copiously during the middle of the day.

Howard Ferstler
Powell

"Howard Ferstler" wrote

Yes, you have a financially self-serving disability.

No doubt I would be lionized if I converted to the
tweako point of view. Heck, even Stereophile or TAS
might hire me then.

So you think you're some kind of celebrity ("lionized") .
Perhaps like Arny you think that there should be a
"Be Howard For A Day" newsgroup, too?

No thanks, because then I would have to hang out
with people like you.

Hehehe... I'm wounded, Howard.

You appeal mostly to Newbies.

And do not appeal to the audio lunatic fringe.

If that's TAS, Stereophile, et cetera subscribers
then yes.

Do you have (Sensible Sound) demographics to
support otherwise?

I suspect that the publisher does not sweat such
details. Only self-serving editors would poll for
statistics of that kind and publish the results.

Perhaps that's why SS is near the bottom in market
share ("publisher")... lack of readership.

I suspect that the average
subscription time is below that of Stereophile or
TAS... and comprise a younger and more
financially limited population too.

The wild thing about tweakos who have more money
than sense is that they spend big on exotic gear as a
way to prove both to themselves and to the masses
that they are special in so many ways.

Talking like a bigot is a really attractive side to your
personality, Howard. Here's a metaphor for you
"when I'm unhappy I can clearly see the short
comings in others." I feel sad for you that you have
become so bitter in your old age.

By the way, you posted the above info (if we can call
it that) at 2:11 PM. Do you have a job? Yeah, I know:
you freelance out of your house, just like all the other
tweakos who post copiously during the middle of the
day.

"copiously"??? You must be kidding or just stupid.

John Atkinson

Paul Dormer wrote:
"Powell" emitted:
John Atkinson suggested:
You can find Kal's hearing results in his Stereophile
review of the Auditory Test CD...

Zzzzzzz....

I do believe I have that copy.

The review is available in the free on-line archives at
www.stereophile.com.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile