Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] soundquestions@live.com is offline

Default SM-81 for choir micing

Sorry if this is a re-post, but I didn't see it show up.

To mic a choir from about 6 feet away with no monitors and low stage
volume, a coincident pair of SM-81's would be a sensible choice,
correct?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote ...
Sorry if this is a re-post, but I didn't see it show up.

To mic a choir from about 6 feet away with no monitors and low stage
volume, a coincident pair of SM-81's would be a sensible choice,
correct?

It IS a re-post. You got six replies asking for more details.
Like are you asking about recording or reinforcement, etc. etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 4, 5:29 pm, wrote:
Sorry if this is a re-post, but I didn't see it show up.

Yeah, there seemed to be some problems with rec.audio.pro in the last
couple of days that affected some users but not others. (this may
start another discussion of why everyone should have a "real" news
feed).

To mic a choir from about 6 feet away with no monitors and low stage
volume, a coincident pair of SM-81's would be a sensible choice,
correct?

To mic a fairly small and quiet choir for sound reinforcement with the
mics six feet away is probably not a sensible thing unless they're
very well isolated from the loudspeakers. But if it's going to work at
all, the SM-81 wouldn't be a bad choice..
Posted to rec.audio.pro
genericaudioperson genericaudioperson is offline

The loudspeaker isolation is good. It's high up and in front of them.
Are you saying the mics should be closer? 6 feet doesn't seem that
far away for dozens of people.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 6, 10:52 pm, genericaudioperson
wrote:

Are you saying the mics should be closer? 6 feet doesn't seem that
far away for dozens of people.

I hate it when people write "Are you saying....?" when that's not what
I said. I think you need to set up what seems to make sense to you
given the group size and arrangement and the room, and listen to what
a test recording sounds like. If it sounds OK, leave it. If it doesn't
sound OK, move the mics, move the choir members closer together,
forget it and do the recording elsewhere . . .

I probably would start with the mics a little lower than 6 feet above
the choir, but it depends on how far forward you have them, which is
going to be determined (ideally) by the sound of the room, but maybe
practically because you don't have full freedom to put them exactly
where they'll be best.

SM-81 for choir micing [email protected] Pro Audio 30 October 16th 08 06:20 PM
micing a choir in a football stadium rt55 Pro Audio 5 October 10th 07 07:02 PM
choir overdub - the best way? Manu Staib Pro Audio 11 July 28th 06 05:46 PM
choir + band Lars Farm Pro Audio 13 June 19th 05 09:42 AM
Choir recording roy Pro Audio 70 May 15th 04 05:00 PM