Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] stereoeditor@earthlink.net is offline

Default The "debate", was "Ultrabit Platium Disk Treatment"

On Aug 20, 9:58*am, "Harry Lavo" wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
One need not listen to every component that happens to be hot
this week to know what the results of replacing one sonically
transparent component with another are.

Well, another voice heard from that doesn't think having to listen to a
component is critical to passing judgement on it. *This is when faith in
science transcends science to become "scientism", I'm afraid.

To paraphrase physicist Fritjof Capra in his 1982 book "The Turning
Point," such people use science as a drunkard uses a lamp post: for
support rather than illumination. :-)

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Aug 20, 9:58*am, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Well, another voice heard from that doesn't think having to listen to a
component is critical to passing judgement on it. *This is when faith in
science transcends science to become "scientism", I'm afraid.

No, Harry, that's how science works. You learn the principles, and
then you can apply them to answer questions and solve problems. For
example, I don't have to listen to every high-end cable to know that
few of them have any audible effect on sound quality. All I have to do
is understand what cables actually do and how they can affect signals
passing through them, then map that against my knowledge of JND
thresholds, and predicting the
(non-)effect of cables is easy. Arny, who knows a whole lot more about
electronics than I, is doing the same for the passive preamp in
question.

It's the high-end wizards who scream, "Pay no attention to that
electron behind the curtain!" It's really odd that audio, clearly a
very technical hobby, attracts so many people who have no interest in
learning anything about the technical side of the hobby. They're the
ones who are relying on "faith"--in what, I'm not sure. Their
inflating opinion of their own perceptual capabilities, I suppose.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

One need not listen to every component that happens to be hot
this week to know what the results of replacing one sonically
transparent component with another are.

Well, another voice heard from that doesn't think having to listen to a
component is critical to passing judgement on it. *This is when faith in
science transcends science to become "scientism", I'm afraid.

To paraphrase physicist Fritjof Capra in his 1982 book "The Turning
Point," such people use science as a drunkard uses a lamp post: for
support rather than illumination. :-)

I think if one were to ask the dear man he would reply he had in mind such
as astrology and esp claimants. He if his attention were to be drawn to
subjective reports of perception differences in wooden objects and stick
on foil dots and digital clocks and "fast bass" and wire etc. etc. which
marketing and hifi mag. reviews are also larded with science terms, would
also include such on his list.

Sadly he would be prevented from doing so for the usual colorful language
more often found to characterize the sound of amps and cd players etc.
etc. that also lard marketing and hifi reviews. I recall one of my
favorites from a Brit mag. where an electronic item was said to produce a
more "chocolate sound". This behavior is a kind of perverse flip side of
"scientism" one thinks but none the less useless for a reader of a bit of
hifi gear review.

Recording level low - Nomrd Jukdbox Zen Extra to Audigy 2ZS Platium Pro # Fred # Pro Audio 10 October 2nd 06 06:27 PM
Iso Booth Treatment [email protected] Pro Audio 3 December 8th 05 08:20 PM
Which treatment for that guitar ? Bontempi Pro Audio 9 September 14th 04 05:20 AM
Wall treatment ScottW Audio Opinions 9 December 18th 03 11:01 PM
Wall Treatment ScottW High End Audio 0 December 16th 03 08:26 PM