langvid

Default "DSD recordings good. PCM recordings bad." - Dr. Diamond

chung wrote in message

Well, if you have such low tolerance for us "mere audiophiles" perhaps

you
should spend more of your time on rec.audio.tech. Last time I looked,

this
was a hobby-based forum, not strictly a technical forum.

That is why I stay away from Audio Asylum.

I do agree that the ratio of "substantive" or on task posts to litter or
"noisy" posts runs far more favorable here at rec.audio.high-end.
Nevertheless,
there is also much practical and singular information for the audiophile at
Audio Asylum.

While the Audio Asylum is visited by some accomplished professionals in the
audio
industry, that provide some worthwhile technical information, it is clearly
not
a technical site. But what it does lack in technical enlightenment it makes
up in real world, diversified, hands on, experience. For example, last week
an unusually emphatic recommendation was given here for the Pioneer
DV59-AVi/
Pioneer DV-868 universal player. But while the recommendation seemed
credible,
it didn't go further than that, a one sentence recommendation. Was the
recommendation based solely on specs, had it actually been listened to,
how did it work mechanically, how did it sound with CDs, SACDs and DVD-As?
There was no insight forthcoming here at rec.audio.high-end. I then visited
the
Audio Asylum and learned much about the DV-59-AVi from a number of real
users.
I was able to get a detailed description of the unit from users including
opinions
about the ease of use about the DV59-AVi, features, and opinions about sound
and quality. Real practical stuff.

Also, I find, for example, features like the system description links of the
forum participants to be unexpectedly useful. How often in response to a
post here do you see the question: "please list the components in your
system".

And yes, there are skeptics about the sound quality claims of the hi-rez
formats
at the Audio Asylum. Their posts may not be presented as eloquently as you
and
others do here (although some are quite eloquent indeed), but in many
instances
they are far more effective because they have actually *lived* with the
format.
I thought a very effective presentation against SACD was given last week at:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...es/166961.html

Likewise, you can learn that the problems that users have with DVD-A players
with difficulty of use, the frequent need of a TV monitor to listen to the
music,
the paucity of acceptable software, etc., are no myths. These issues that
are of
keen interest here and debated in this forum, but not adequately so,
are effectively described in relevant detail at the Audio Asylum.

The multi-channel vs. two channel discussions are an ongoing and hotly
debated topic
just as it is here. Again they are far more effective than can what possibly
occur
here because you have users who have lived with multi-channel, for example,
and
in some cases switched backed to two-channel. Comments from both sides,
coupled
with the linked equipment descriptions make for a very real learning
experience.

As an audiophile you learn to separate the wheat from the chafe, the
substantive
from the noise. This is a skill that comes in to use often, whether you are
reading magazines in the high-end press, posts at the Audio Asylum, and yes,
even here at rec.audio.high-end.

Make no mistake about it, I post far more often here compared to Audio
Asylum.
It's more fun preaching to potential antagonists than always preaching to
the choir.
Nevertheless, I find the Audio Asylum to nicely complement, not compete
with,
rec.audio-high-end. It serves no useful purpose to diss it.

Robert C. Lang

chung

langvid wrote:
chung wrote in message

[...]

If you have lots of time, sure, go ahead and become an inmate at the
Audio Asylum. It could be fun. But I would caution against putting too
much trust on opinions of the inmates there. There is too much noise,
and too much plain bad information, that you need a certain level of
technical understanding to separate the signals from the noise.
Otherwise you are more likely to be misinformed than be educated.