Peter

Default "Universal" Players less DVD-Video

Does anyone know of the existence, or perhaps the planning, of "Universal"
players, that will play CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, SACDs, and DVD-As, but not DVD
Video?

It seems to me that a "Universal" player as I described above would be much
simpler, and less expensive, to build than one that also incorporates
DVD-Video, and at least I for one, and I would think many other music
enthusiasts, really have no interest in combining Video with High-Fidelity
audio systems.
Steven Sullivan

Peter wrote:
Does anyone know of the existence, or perhaps the planning, of "Universal"
players, that will play CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, SACDs, and DVD-As, but not DVD
Video?

No, but on some players you have the option of bypassing the video circuitry.

It seems to me that a "Universal" player as I described above would be much
simpler, and less expensive, to build than one that also incorporates
DVD-Video, and at least I for one, and I would think many other music
enthusiasts, really have no interest in combining Video with High-Fidelity
audio systems.

It's rather difficult to navigate a DVD-A without DVD-video capability.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

normanstrong

"Peter" wrote in message
Does anyone know of the existence, or perhaps the planning, of

"Universal"
players, that will play CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, SACDs, and DVD-As, but not

DVD
Video?

It seems to me that a "Universal" player as I described above would

be much
simpler, and less expensive, to build than one that also

incorporates
DVD-Video, and at least I for one, and I would think many other

music
enthusiasts, really have no interest in combining Video with

High-Fidelity
audio systems.

The amount saved by dispensing with video in your example is so small
that I can't imagine any company ignoring that piece of the market.
e.g., how much would be saved by building a high priced TV set with no
sound (on the theory that the sound is going to come from your home
theater system?) Probably none. The manufacturer will lose more
market share than he can make up in parts saved. Besides which,
DVD-A for one has a substantial video component.

If I were in the market for a $1000 universal player, such as you
describe, I wouldn't buy one without video just to save $20. If the
manufacturer was that eager to save a few dollars, I'd wonder where
else he might have chosen to save even more.

Norm Strong
chung

Peter wrote:

Does anyone know of the existence, or perhaps the planning, of "Universal"
players, that will play CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, SACDs, and DVD-As, but not DVD
Video?

It seems to me that a "Universal" player as I described above would be much
simpler, and less expensive, to build than one that also incorporates
DVD-Video, and at least I for one, and I would think many other music
enthusiasts, really have no interest in combining Video with High-Fidelity
audio systems.

The DVD-A discs contain significant video info, such as menu (song
list), liner notes, interviews, etc. It would also be much easier to
navigate MP3's with a video display. It would be difficult to do set-ups
such as bass management, surround, etc., without a display.

The cost of adding video circuitry is not huge, and it is the higher
sales volume that will get you a lower price. If there is no video in a
player, sales will be much lower, and you would end up paying a higher
price.
Natvig

Those in favour of DVD-A as the the most practical hi-rez format have
stressed the multi-media features;- Bob Stuart (Meridian) are among those
who strongly believe that this is what the consumers wants;- personaly I
don´t care;- I have a Meridian player, by the way, that accepts DVD-A,- but
I´m not much interested in what my few DVD-A´s may contain beside music.

Geir Natvig
"chung" skrev i melding
Peter wrote:

[...]

Kalman Rubinson

On 5 Dec 2003 16:08:07 GMT, "Peter" wrote:

Does anyone know of the existence, or perhaps the planning, of "Universal"
players, that will play CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, SACDs, and DVD-As, but not DVD
Video?

It seems to me that a "Universal" player as I described above would be much
simpler, and less expensive, to build than one that also incorporates
DVD-Video, and at least I for one, and I would think many other music
enthusiasts, really have no interest in combining Video with High-Fidelity
audio systems.

I doubt it will ever happen. First, given the chipsets involved, the
deletion of the video function would result in a marginal savings.
Second, you still need the video display to navigate some DVD-As.

Kal

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Dec 2003 17:48:19 GMT, "normanstrong"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
Does anyone know of the existence, or perhaps the planning, of "Universal"
players, that will play CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, SACDs, and DVD-As, but not DVD
Video?

It wouldn't then be a universal player, now would it? :-)

There are high-fidelity audio discs from labels such as Chesky which
use the DVD-V standard to reproduce 24/96 audio.

[...]

I think the point about DVD-A being difficult to use without video is
the key issue. One could certainly imagine 'purist' high-end companies
producing a dedicated audio-only player, but how would you engage all
the facilities of DVD-A?

As you note, the video circuitry costs pennies (heck, you can buy a
whole DVD player for $50 these days!), and there already exist players
which can switch off the video circuitry when playing audio discs, so
the interference issue is a non-starter. While I have some sympathy
with the purist aspirations of the original poster, it does seem
rather perverse to build a full-range multichannel audio system
capable of doing full justice to the capabilities of DVD-A, and not
adding a video screen - even if only for concert videos.