Posted to rec.audio.pro
J. P. Morris

Default Just why is this worth eight thousand dollars?

Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic 2 or 4-track.
It doesn't even appear to be valve-based:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGC-AIWA-3-HEAD-...cm dZViewItem

...yet it has gone for $7900, which is probably about ten times its original
price, if that. Now normally I'd say that the two zero-bidders were
shills, but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

And here's another one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/AIWA-3-HEAD-REEL...QQcmdZViewItem

(Although I note the apparent shills have been busy at work here too.)

Q: "WE'VE ALREADY BEEN OFFERED $3000,00. We will accept $6000,oo with free
shipping. The only other one of these just sold for 7900.00. Thanks bill."

Have they simply lost their hold on reality or are these machines valuable
in some mysterious way?

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex, Thief and Ultima
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark

J. P. Morris wrote:
[...]

Wow, I'll have to finish up fixing up my Viking 88 and get it up there
on Ebay... its even got fire bottles..
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Allen Corneau

On 3/24/06 3:48 PM, in article
, "J. P. Morris"
wrote:

..but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

He's from Japan, so maybe he made a mistake on the exchange rate?!? The
seller made out like a bandit, regardless.

Have they simply lost their hold on reality or are these machines valuable
in some mysterious way?

I hope so! I've got an Otari 5050 just waiting for a new home, and I could
use an extra $8K!

Allen
--
Allen Corneau
Mastering Engineer

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

J. P. Morris wrote:
Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic 2 or 4-track.

..yet it has gone for $7900, which is probably about ten times its original
price, if that. Now normally I'd say that the two zero-bidders were
shills, but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

Must be either a Japanese collector or someone's pulling our leg.
There's no practical or technical reason for this to be worth any more
than $50. Notice that the auction ended early to sell to the current
high bidder. Even the first bid of $250 was outrageous.

I'll take a paltry $2500 for a TEAC 6100 that I have in a home made
portable case, and I'll even throw in the original teak side panels,
just in case someone was watching this auction and dropped out the
second day.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"Allen Corneau" wrote in message
On 3/24/06 3:48 PM, in article
, "J. P. Morris"
wrote:

..but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

He's from Japan, so maybe he made a mistake on the exchange rate?!?

How would you explain this?

http://tinyurl.com/f222f

http://tinyurl.com/hclku

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

wrote:

..but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

He's from Japan, so maybe he made a mistake on the exchange rate?!?

How would you explain this?

http://tinyurl.com/f222f

http://tinyurl.com/hclku

The first one's not unreasonable; you're getting an M7 capsule, reasonably
new, for about 300 US$. The second one is a bit over the line.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

"J. P. Morris" wrote in message
[...]

The only thing I can figure is that there are collectors out there who want
a complete set of Aiwa recorders, for reasons known but to themselves, and
this is the one that shows up the least often, so the collectors go berserk
when it appears. Like my friend whose best pal had the only Muddy Waters
record he didn't own.

Real collectors are NUTS.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

wrote:

..but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

He's from Japan, so maybe he made a mistake on the exchange rate?!?

How would you explain this?

http://tinyurl.com/f222f

http://tinyurl.com/hclku

The first one's not unreasonable; you're getting an M7 capsule, reasonably
new, for about 300 US$. The second one is a bit over the line.

The same seller, the same item, description, pictures, everything, parallel
auctions, ending within 15 minutes from each other,

Funny.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

J. P. Morris wrote:
Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic 2 or 4-track.
It doesn't even appear to be valve-based:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGC-AIWA-3-HEAD-...cm dZViewItem

..yet it has gone for $7900, which is probably about ten times its original
price, if that. Now normally I'd say that the two zero-bidders were
shills, but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

It's being used as part of a money-laundering scheme. I bet a dollar.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic 2 or
4-track.
It doesn't even appear to be valve-based:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGC-AIWA-3-HEAD-REEL-TO-REEL-MDL-TP-1011_W0QQitem...

Interesting to note that all the higher bidders are first-timers. Maybe
the machine's filled with bags of heroin ("higher" bidders indeed!).
Either way, there must be an explanation for the price other than the
machine's actual value.

Ted Spencer, NYC
www.tedspencerrecording.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

wrote ...
Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic
2 or 4-track.
It doesn't even appear to be valve-based:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGC-AIWA-3-HEAD-REEL-TO-REEL-MDL-TP-1011_W0QQitem...

Interesting to note that all the higher bidders are first-timers.

If I were going to set up some "shill" accounts, I could "buy"
thousands of items from myself worth millions of dollars I
never had. This is just insane.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

P.T. Barnum is alive and well....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

"Predrag Trpkov" wrote in message
The first one's not unreasonable; you're getting an M7 capsule,

reasonably
new, for about 300 US$. The second one is a bit over the line.

The same seller, the same item, description, pictures, everything,

parallel
auctions, ending within 15 minutes from each other,

Funny.

Some high-roller wanted one, so they bid it up. The high-roller didn't want
two, so didn't bid on the other auction.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
flatfish+++

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 21:48:31 +0000, J. P. Morris wrote:

Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic 2 or 4-track.
It doesn't even appear to be valve-based:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGC-AIWA-3-HEAD-...cm dZViewItem

..yet it has gone for $7900, which is probably about ten times its original
price, if that. Now normally I'd say that the two zero-bidders were
shills, but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

Wow!!

With all of the Tascam/Teac/Peavey/A.R.T and Alesis *collectable* gear I
have laying around, I am going to be a millionaire in a couple of weeks!!!

Have they simply lost their hold on reality or are these machines valuable
in some mysterious way?

Offshore/possibly onshore money laundering mill.
That's my guess.

flatfish+++

P.S. For those of you who missed the sarcasm, in this case *collectable*
means junk....
Not that most of it isn't useful,
but..........................................

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Skler

'Cause the guy who bought it is crazy! ;-)

"J. P. Morris" wrote in message
Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic 2 or 4-track.
It doesn't even appear to be valve-based:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGC-AIWA-3-HEAD-...0QQitemZ970019
9726QQcategoryZ15000QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

..yet it has gone for $7900, which is probably about ten times its

original
price, if that. Now normally I'd say that the two zero-bidders were
shills, but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

And here's another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AIWA-3-HEAD-REEL...PE_W0QQitemZ97
03183995QQcategoryZ15000QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

(Although I note the apparent shills have been busy at work here too.)

Q: "WE'VE ALREADY BEEN OFFERED $3000,00. We will accept $6000,oo with free
shipping. The only other one of these just sold for 7900.00. Thanks bill."

Have they simply lost their hold on reality or are these machines valuable
in some mysterious way?

--
JP Morris - aka DOUG the Eagle (Dragon) -=UDIC=-
Anti-walkthroughs for Deus Ex, Thief and Ultima
http://www.it-he.org
Reign of the Just - An Ultima clone http://rotj.it-he.org
The DMFA radio series project http://dmfa.it-he.org
d+++ e+ N+ T++ Om U1234!56!7'!S'!8!9!KAW u++ uC+++ uF+++ uG---- uLB----

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"Segensreich Maschinerich" wrote in message
Predrag Trpkov wrote in article :

How would you explain this?

http://tinyurl.com/f222f

http://tinyurl.com/hclku

The same seller, the same item, description, pictures, everything,

parallel
auctions, ending within 15 minutes from each other,

Funny.

I don't understand what you mean. Someone had a matched pair of
capsules, and sold them both, placing each in a separate auction. What
is so funny about that?

Two items that are as close to being identical as it gets. Sold at the same
time, under identical conditions. One sold for 266 Euro, the other for
671,66 Euro.

That's what I thought was funny, but it's obviously just me. Forget it.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jim Carr

"Predrag Trpkov" wrote in message

Two items that are as close to being identical as it gets. Sold at the

same
time, under identical conditions. One sold for 266 Euro, the other for
671,66 Euro.

That's what I thought was funny, but it's obviously just me. Forget it.

e-bay - where "winning" an auction means you were willing to pay more than
anybody else.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
greggery peccary

i think ebay's on it's way down unless it can control this ****e. i
bought a rauland pre a couple of weeks ago and then saw the exact same
item (it had a pink cd on top of it) for sale from china. it was
obviously a shill but still scary.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"greggery peccary" wrote in message
oups.com...
i think ebay's on it's way down unless it can control this ****e. i
bought a rauland pre a couple of weeks ago and then saw the exact same
item (it had a pink cd on top of it) for sale from china. it was
obviously a shill but still scary.

There has been a flood of obviously fraudulant eBay auctions from China
lately. Neumann and other vintage mics, Soundcraft Delta consoles, RADAR...
basically anything that's sought-after. The item description and pictures
invariably copied from recent legit auctions, sellers with zero feedback,
low starting prices with no reserve...

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
GS

The secret of business success:

Every morning an idiot wakes up. You just have to find him....

br
GS

J. P. Morris schrieb:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

GS wrote:
The secret of business success:

Every morning an idiot wakes up. You just have to find him....

I don't think good business is " find the idiot" good business is not
being the idiot.

In business , I ask my self when buying buildings or used gear "
am I the biggest idiot," if I feel even close that I may be, I pass on
the gear or the building.

Still. . I'm about to clean up some old gear.. . bad business can be
fun $$

Ed Bridge
www.bridgekaldromusic.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jfscreen16@gmail.com is offline

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...alID=EB AY-US
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 12:36:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...alID=EB AY-US

I think a quick count of the number of bids will reveal the answer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/30/2015 3:36 PM, wrote:
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...alID=EB AY-US

Some possible reasons:

1. The seller thinks that someone will pay that much. Did you keep
entering bids until you met the reserve? Is that where you got $8,000?

2. The Tape Project. I think I heard that they finally stopped making
tapes, but people were paying $8000 or more for hot-rodded rebuilt Revox
tape decks to play those tapes on.

3. The seller doesn't have a clue.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...alID=EB AY-US

I don't think it is. You will notice there are no bids.

Consumer quarter-track machines are a dime a dozen and not really useful
for anything much.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jason jason is offline

In article b50c84ac-162c-4823-b587-
,
says...
i could build it from $50 in parts.

I bet the parts cost even less 12 years ago!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 25/05/2018 04:09, wrote:
On Friday, March 24, 2006 at 2:48:31 PM UTC-7, J. P. Morris wrote:

Note the date of the post being replied to....

Q: "WE'VE ALREADY BEEN OFFERED $3000,00. We will accept $6000,oo with free
shipping. The only other one of these just sold for 7900.00. Thanks bill."

Have they simply lost their hold on reality or are these machines valuable
in some mysterious way?

no this particular tape machine was and is used by ritchie blackmore of deep purple and rainbow fame. it was used as a preamp to provide fuzz tone plus as a tape echo system. any guitar player that desires that to like me for instance would like to own one of these rare beasties. i dont have nor would i pay that kind of cash especially when other r2r decks can be used for tape echo and if i wanted that preamp i could build it from $50 in parts.

If it were the actual machine used by Ritchie Blackmore, it might be
worth the price quoted to a collector or museum. It would be worth even
more for the pair if the original, modified amp and speaker he used was
available to go with it.

Machines of that type are now available for a hundred dollars or less.

This thread gives some ideas on how to emulate the tone.

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smffor...topic=104756.0

It wouldn't be hard, though not trivial, to write a plugin to emulate
the physics of the preamp and other circuitry in a DAW.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/25/2018 5:12 PM, John Williamson wrote:
Note the date of the post being replied to....

I can't imagine that even in 2006 a tape deck like that would sell for
thousands of dollars. By 2006 people couldn't get rid of reel-to-reel
tape decks fast enough.

The wonderful thing about eBay is that there's always someone who will
pay a crazy price for something that that they don't know of any other
place to look for it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 25/05/2018 22:23, Mike Rivers wrote:

The wonderful thing about eBay is that there's always someone who will
pay a crazy price for something that that they don't know of any other
place to look for it.

Collectors are weird.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message news
On 5/25/2018 5:12 PM, John Williamson wrote:
Note the date of the post being replied to....

I can't imagine that even in 2006 a tape deck like that would sell for
thousands of dollars. By 2006 people couldn't get rid of reel-to-reel
tape decks fast enough.

The wonderful thing about eBay is that there's always someone who will
pay a crazy price for something that that they don't know of any other
place to look for it.

Yep, Took a non working item that I was going to throw in the trash and put
it up on eBay.
Sold for $550.

Poly

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 26/05/2018 9:23 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/25/2018 5:12 PM, John Williamson wrote:
Note the date of the post being replied to....

I can't imagine that even in 2006 a tape deck like that would sell for
thousands of dollars. By 2006 people couldn't get rid of reel-to-reel
tape decks fast enough.

The wonderful thing about eBay is that there's always someone who will
pay a crazy price for something that that they don't know of any other
place to look for it.

Analogue is SOOO great - adds thousands to the price. Especially if has
some 'history' apparently.

geoff