The Burwoods

Default Your help on small system design please

I'm trying to put a small low powered system together. I've got a 94
Astro.The stock speaker locations have the following dimensions.4" in the
back pillars , 6.5 in the back clam doors and 51/4 in the front dash. I have
a 10 inch dual voice coil sub in a sealed enclosureunder the rear bench
seat.I had proposed using audiobahn coaxials in each stock location.I based
this on the efficiency ratings of the speakers and the low cost.The sub is
being driven by a 60 x 2 amp. The head unit puts out 50 x 4. I was going to
maybe getting another small amp to run the 3rd set of coaxials. Or would I
be better off just using two sets of coaxials 1 front and 1 back ? if yes
would the 6.5 in the doors (obstructed by the seats) or the 4' in the back
pillars be the better choice. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin McMurtrie

"The Burwoods" wrote:

I'm trying to put a small low powered system together. I've got a 94
Astro.The stock speaker locations have the following dimensions.4" in the
back pillars , 6.5 in the back clam doors and 51/4 in the front dash. I have
a 10 inch dual voice coil sub in a sealed enclosureunder the rear bench
seat.I had proposed using audiobahn coaxials in each stock location.I based
this on the efficiency ratings of the speakers and the low cost.The sub is
being driven by a 60 x 2 amp. The head unit puts out 50 x 4. I was going to
maybe getting another small amp to run the 3rd set of coaxials. Or would I
be better off just using two sets of coaxials 1 front and 1 back ? if yes
would the 6.5 in the doors (obstructed by the seats) or the 4' in the back
pillars be the better choice. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I doubt the HU puts out 50W x 4 unless it's one of the extremely
expensive ones ($600+) with an integrated power inverter and full-range
class D output. 50W is a common bull**** number for bad automotive
audio gear. A few older radio-only and EQ-only Rat Shacks managed 40W
using autoformers. Any normal HU that provides a bridged output driven
by the car's 14V will deliver about 18W into each 4 Ohm speaker.

I would at least buy a small amp for the 6.5 inch speakers to make
better use of them. Or maybe transfer the 60W x 2 amp to the 6.5 inch
speakers and get a more powerful amp for the sub.

If the HU is lying so much about the power output, you may find other
deficiencies with it too. It may need to be replaced.
jeffc

"Kevin McMurtrie" wrote in message
"The Burwoods" wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I'd agree. Besides it sounds like your system is becoming not small
and not low powered. 3 pairs of speakers plus subwoofers is overkill. So
are 2 10" drivers, but you've go those. Just get a small, good quality 4
channel amp to drive your front and rear pairs of speakers. If your HU
doesn't have preamp outs, then scrap it.

Bose system paul tumolo Pro Audio 40 February 23rd 04 02:37 PM
Speakers Then and Now lynsam Tech 171 January 12th 04 07:39 PM
Surround sound monitoring system for small studio? Nick Kemp Pro Audio 6 November 27th 03 03:25 PM
John Mellencamp Attacks President Bush In Open Letter Jacob Kramer Audio Opinions 449 November 25th 03 11:33 PM
System design - Infinity Basslink + Kappas 42.5i Alberto Car Audio 3 September 11th 03 10:33 AM