Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Honest Abe Honest Abe is offline

Default HD radio - any good in poor FM reception area?

I live in a location in Brooklyn, NY where FM (and some TV) reception is
poor. No matter how I position either a dipole or rabbit-ears antenna, I get
multipath distortion on most stations. My building's master antenna is no
better, and I don't have or want cable.

Would HD radio be free of this problem? I have heard that it is no better -
that when the HD signal cannot be properly received, the receiver reverts to
the regular analog signal.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
AZ Nomad[_2_] AZ Nomad[_2_] is offline

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:25:25 GMT, Honest Abe wrote:
I live in a location in Brooklyn, NY where FM (and some TV) reception is
poor. No matter how I position either a dipole or rabbit-ears antenna, I get
multipath distortion on most stations. My building's master antenna is no
better, and I don't have or want cable.

Would HD radio be free of this problem? I have heard that it is no better -
that when the HD signal cannot be properly received, the receiver reverts to
the regular analog signal.

Is your internet bandwidth good enough for IP radio?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:25:25 GMT, Honest Abe wrote:
I live in a location in Brooklyn, NY where FM (and some TV) reception is
poor. No matter how I position either a dipole or rabbit-ears antenna, I
get
multipath distortion on most stations. My building's master antenna is no
better, and I don't have or want cable.

Would HD radio be free of this problem? I have heard that it is no
better -
that when the HD signal cannot be properly received, the receiver reverts
the regular analog signal.

Is your internet bandwidth good enough for IP radio?

Thanks for the response.
Yes, but I'd have to run a connection between my computer and audio system -
which is over 15 feet away. It would also be necessary to have the computer
on when listening.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 21:23:25 GMT, Honest Abe wrote:
"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:25:25 GMT, Honest Abe wrote:
I live in a location in Brooklyn, NY where FM (and some TV) reception is
poor. No matter how I position either a dipole or rabbit-ears antenna, I
get
multipath distortion on most stations. My building's master antenna is no
better, and I don't have or want cable.

Would HD radio be free of this problem? I have heard that it is no
better -
that when the HD signal cannot be properly received, the receiver reverts
the regular analog signal.

Is your internet bandwidth good enough for IP radio?

Thanks for the response.
Yes, but I'd have to run a connection between my computer and audio system -
which is over 15 feet away. It would also be necessary to have the computer
on when listening.

There are standalone ip media players. A very cheap used laptop can
also do the job nicely.