Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tom[_19_] Tom[_19_] is offline

Default Amp. Switching

I have two amplifiers that I would like to switch in and out to one
set of speakers; sort of the reverse of a speaker selector on one
amp.. I haven't seen much commercially, and I am, of course,
concerned about any degradation of sound quality. I'm considering
building one myself using high quality DPDT toggle switches, but can
anyone suggest a commercial unit I might use?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Tom" wrote in message
I have two amplifiers that I would like to switch in and out to one
set of speakers; sort of the reverse of a speaker selector on one
amp.. I haven't seen much commercially, and I am, of course,
concerned about any degradation of sound quality. I'm considering
building one myself using high quality DPDT toggle switches, but can
anyone suggest a commercial unit I might use?

There's no reason you can't use a commercial 'speaker selector switch in
reverse PROVIDED that the switching is break before make AND that it
switches both poles, not just the positive as you really don't want to
connect together the two amplifier grounds, especially if one or both
amplifiers are bridged, in which case they don't have a common ground.

All in all, it may be safer to make your own, but do make sure whatever
switches you use are break before make.
As to sound quality losses, there won't be any.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Crown K1 switching amp William Sommerwerck Pro Audio 28 August 16th 06 02:53 PM
Crown K1 switching amp William Sommerwerck Pro Audio 41 June 8th 06 01:07 PM
Switching PS improvement A S Goh Tech 12 March 21st 06 04:16 PM
5.1 Switching? Matt Tech 2 September 28th 05 07:39 PM
HV switching BJTs Tom Schlangen Vacuum Tubes 3 June 27th 05 07:46 PM